Connor Wickham

KeithJ

Ipswich play him as a winger, hence his lack of goals per games.

cannot be much of a centre forward then

You can't just say that, especially with someone his age. Thierry Henry was played mostly as a winger before Wenger signed him. This isn't me saying Wickham is as good as Henry btw.

could not help yourself :(

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge gamble buying him and expecting him to produce week in week out for us next season. We need a proven experienced striker and he needs to be protected at that age from the weight of expectation. Love him to come here but if we buy him - we still need 2 strikers.

If we could get him for 8mil and huntelaar or derdiyok for 8mil then i'd be happy with that.

I think we all get it, you like Huntelaar and Derdiyok. Huntelaar is quality, but I got my reservations about him, he's 27 now and spent most of the past 3 seasons playing second fiddle so may be a bit of a gamble i would reckon. I aint seen much of Derdiyok, but the boys 22 and although his goal/game ratio aint amazing, could be a fairly decent acquisition, plays a similar role to Ben Arfa if I'm correct.

I like the look of Connor Wickham, seems to have everything there to be top class, just hope he can cut the mustard in the premier league at present.

You just never know though do you? 25mil net spend isnt a lot really.

RE: Derdiyok...no he doesnt play a barfa role, more like a skillful targetman.

Fair enough, I haven't seen him play but ima take your word on Derdiyok. God knows we need something up front.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the mackems have had a £13m bid accepted. That is serious money for a lad who has only played at championship level and has a prettty poor record in front of goal by all accounts

Apparently the mackems have had a £13m bid accepted. That is serious money for a lad who has only played at championship level and has a prettty poor record in front of goal by all accounts

Rumours of a £7m bid for Shane Long too.

Cracking ambition from the mackems. He is the best under 19 player in this country, I'm convinced he'll be as good as Rooney.

I agree tbh. Undoubtedly there's a risk but there's a risk with any signing. If they pair Long & Whickham together they could well be on to a winner.

Long managed 5 goals in 50 premier league games, Wickham has managed 13 in 2 seasons in the Championship. Lovenkrands managed that in 1 season.

They are welcome to the pair of them tbh

So. Shearer scored 10 in his first 77 top flight games. Younguns need time, Wickham's just turned 18, he'll be a star.

It is good ambition from the mackems, ambition that we should be showing too.

13mil for wickham is too much though..10mil tops.

But then again if figures of 6-8mil for sturridge are true then there is no way wickham is worth 10.

I'd love us to go get them both.

But then again if figures of 6-8mil for sturridge are true then there is no way wickham is worth 10.

The way I'd look at the fee is if I was a mackem, they've swapped Henderson for Wickahm (diff positions I know) and made £7m profit. It doesn't even make sense. The most overrated player in NE FOOTBALL HISTORY, against the best U19 prospect in the country, I know what I'd be happy with.

The way I'd look at the fee is if I was a mackem, they've swapped Henderson for Wickahm (diff positions I know) and made £7m profit. It doesn't even make sense. The most overrated player in NE FOOTBALL HISTORY, against the best U19 prospect in the country, I know what I'd be happy with.

I know what your saying and to them they are in a very good position to do so.

So should we be though thats the thing...we have the carroll money and wages saved from outgoings, we've only spent 4.3mil and any fees to agents so with ST being a priority and this kid lookin massive we should really be in for him AND sturridge.

I know what your saying and to them they are in a very good position to do so.

So should we be though thats the thing...we have the carroll money and wages saved from outgoings, we've only spent 4.3mil and any fees to agents so with ST being a priority and this kid lookin massive we should really be in for him AND sturridge.

Ah you're right, I've got no doubt Ashley has had a big say in who we've brought in. No doubt playing FM2011 putting in contract expires 30/6/12, not the worst ploy in the world to be honest but it shouldn't dictate your entire summer transfer policy and it has sort far.

Can i please ask, and this is not a criticism, have those saying we should go out and buy him, h is a phenomenal prospect etc actually seen a whole lot of him. I havn't and therefore can't really comment, but it seems to me he could be very similar to jordan henderson. Completely overhyped which makes people who havn't really seen much of him think he is amazing when he actually may not be.

I believe this is exactly what happened with Henderson, I watch the mackems quite a bit as i am sure most do on here and Henderson rarely did anything of note but he managed to generate a "false" reputation (my opinion of course) because he was young, english and starting for a home town club, it seemed as tho people were willing him to do well and that drove up his price and the same seems to be happening with this Whickham fella!