Connor Wickham

KeithJ

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether he flops or not Sunderland have identified a need and brought in the best player they could afford to meet that need. Whereas we seem to just identify bargains, bringing in the best players we can afford doesn't seem to factor into our transfer strategy.

I wasn't aware that the window had been closed already. Unless I'm much mistaken there are 2 months left to bring players in, but don't let that get in the way of your presumptions and cynicism.

The future is unknown but I’d argue my cynicism isn’t without justification.

Consider Neil Taylor.... were we after him because he’s the best left back we can afford to bring in or because we thought he had a £1m get out clause?

There’s two months to sell players as well. Right now our transfer activity has been bargain based. The time to call realism cynicism is when the facts back up your presumption, which they don’t.

Get back to me when we bring in player who isn’t a ‘bargain’, when we’ve used a decent chunk of the Carroll money to sign a quality player for serious money.

I would like us to spend a significant amount if it's for the right player but as of the 29 June 2011 we have signed a 25 year old French international midfielder who has just come off a title winning season, a player who was on the verge of signing for Liverpool and a player with a career goalscoring record of just under 1 in 2 who came into the premiership and instantly settled.

Does it have to be 'serious money' for it to be a good player? Is that what makes a good player? We have signed 3 very good players (ok two are unproven in this league but highly rated none the less) for around £5m. Would it have been better to have trumped Liverpool and just signed Henderson for 4 times that?

I understand if you want quality players you normally have to spend and I hope we do because we need at least one top forward who will more than likely cost a fair sum of money but this 'we need to spend serious money to show ambition' culture is nearly as bad the 'sign a player for a future profit' one.

We've made a good start but we've got a long way to go both literally and figuratively.

Again I'll judge our lot, personally speaking, on the side that we put out against Arsenal. And then the squad we have come September the 1st.

Certainly not panicking yet. Nervous though.

Potential wages of the scale?

Cant see him being on more than 25k a week like.

I'd say it's likely to be higher than that when you consider his transfer fee and the fact bigger clubs were sniffing around for him. With all due respect to SAFC, why would he accept £25K p/w when he could have held out for Liverpool or Spurs?

Can you think of another reason why we wouldn't have shown an interest? I'm afraid I can't.

First team football.

Hopefully he spaffs in that bitter twat anorthernsoul's face on derby day. I've never seen so many sour grapes.

Wickham looks to me like the sort with the potiential to be a very good player and who might be the type who steps up straightaway to the top flight because he has that kind of talent, hope i'm wrong!

I'd have wanted us to be in for him at the kind of price he's gone for, well worth a gamble to me but we'll not be paying that kind of money for a young player.

english premium in that price but still a good bit of business imo, i heard we were scared off with valuations over ten million , but the scum paid 8 which could rise to 12-13 ? , he's a big strong lad for his age with good feet and is only going to get better

Edited by Hadrian

Guest Your Name Here
Whether he flops or not Sunderland have identified a need and brought in the best player they could afford to meet that need. Whereas we seem to just identify bargains, bringing in the best players we can afford doesn't seem to factor into our transfer strategy.

I wasn't aware that the window had been closed already. Unless I'm much mistaken there are 2 months left to bring players in, but don't let that get in the way of your presumptions and cynicism.

The future is unknown but I’d argue my cynicism isn’t without justification.

Consider Neil Taylor.... were we after him because he’s the best left back we can afford to bring in or because we thought he had a £1m get out clause?

There’s two months to sell players as well. Right now our transfer activity has been bargain based. The time to call realism cynicism is when the facts back up your presumption, which they don’t.

Get back to me when we bring in player who isn’t a ‘bargain’, when we’ve used a decent chunk of the Carroll money to sign a quality player for serious money.

I would like us to spend a significant amount if it's for the right player but as of the 29 June 2011 we have signed a 25 year old French international midfielder who has just come off a title winning season, a player who was on the verge of signing for Liverpool and a player with a career goalscoring record of just under 1 in 2 who came into the premiership and instantly settled.

Does it have to be 'serious money' for it to be a good player? Is that what makes a good player? We have signed 3 very good players (ok two are unproven in this league but highly rated none the less) for around £5m. Would it have been better to have trumped Liverpool and just signed Henderson for 4 times that?

I understand if you want quality players you normally have to spend and I hope we do because we need at least one top forward who will more than likely cost a fair sum of money but this 'we need to spend serious money to show ambition' culture is nearly as bad the 'sign a player for a future profit' one.

No, we’ve proved that in the past.

Do you think Pardew looked at what the team needed and thought Demba Ba had the qualities he was looking for and it was just our good fortune he was available for nowt, or that Pardew was handed a list of strikers we could get for nowt and Demba Ba was the closest to what he was looking for?

To put it another way if Demba Ba didn’t have a get out clause in his contract would we have paid a substantial fee to acquire his services?

Guest Your Name Here
I was listening to The Legends - and apparently it's £8 million including add-ons. That's superb if true.

SAFC say its 12m including add ons.

3 tiote's :)

And at least £2m more than we’ve paid for any player since Ashley took over..... make of that what you want.

Potential wages of the scale?

Cant see him being on more than 25k a week like.

I'd say it's likely to be higher than that when you consider his transfer fee and the fact bigger clubs were sniffing around for him. With all due respect to SAFC, why would he accept £25K p/w when he could have held out for Liverpool or Spurs?

Can you think of another reason why we wouldn't have shown an interest? I'm afraid I can't.

First team football.

Hopefully he spaffs in that bitter twat anorthernsoul's face on derby day. I've never seen so many sour grapes.

Contrary to what some of our lot are saying I'd have been amazed if Wickham would have been a bench warmer had he come to SJP.

As people have been saying unproven but a good prospect and I would have been happy if NUFC had taken a gamble on him. Also smart move for the lad as he will get first team football to develop.

I see it as a small risk. With him being English and only 18 as a flop we will get £5mill back but if he has a good season and with Champions League bringing in all these home nations rules we might struggle to turn a stupid offer down over the next 2 seasons

As people have been saying unproven but a good prospect and I would have been happy if NUFC had taken a gamble on him. Also smart move for the lad as he will get first team football to develop.

I see it as a small risk. With him being English and only 18 as a flop we will get £5mill back but if he has a good season and with Champions League bringing in all these home nations rules we might struggle to turn a stupid offer down over the next 2 seasons

So

Average = SAFC player

Flop = 3 mill loss (assuming 8 mill fee plus add ons)

Top player = sell to CL club

Fucking depressing isn't it? I'm not claiming we're any different btw. I'd be amazed if Tiote and Ben Arfa aren't gone in a season or so, adn they're not even English.

So

Average = SAFC player

Flop = 3 mill loss (assuming 8 mill fee plus add ons)

Top player = sell to CL club

Fucking depressing isn't it? I'm not claiming we're any different btw. I'd be amazed if Tiote and Ben Arfa aren't gone in a season or so, adn they're not even English.

I know what you mean. It's a sad state of affairs but if money like the Henderson deal and the Carroll deal keeps cropping up then eventually football has to implode or at least the top 6. Then as lon as we are collecting to cash waiting to move into the drop outs spot then we could be a good force to mess with financially and as a club

I don't think this is a good bargain for Sunderland.

That's half the Bent money in one fell swoop.I could be wrong of course, but I don't think so. (well, I suppose it's impossible to think that one is wrong).

What's the fucks that got to do with it. They don't get to play extra men cos they're cheap you know.

They sold Bent and needed to replace him, paying less than £9m would mean that they had in no way replaced Bent.

I don't think this is a good bargain for Sunderland.

That's half the Bent money in one fell swoop.I could be wrong of course, but I don't think so. (well, I suppose it's impossible to think that one is wrong).

What's the fucks that got to do with it. They don't get to play extra men cos they're cheap you know.

They sold Bent and needed to replace him, paying less than £9m would mean that they had in no way replaced Bent.

Donald, I have long suspected that some fans are happier when their clubs spend a lot on a player, regardless of that player's qualities. Your response does nothing to quell that suspicion.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

The only player we've lost, after putting in a higher offer, is Phil Jones. He chose the league champions and champions league, as would 99% of players, couldn't blame him for that.

Marveaux ?

As far as I can see he made the choice of the better contract offer, Liverpool weren't prepared to up theirs. If he turns out to be a good player, with little injury, they may regret it. This is how a local writer described it, along with others we've apparently missed out on.

A big part of FSG’s strategy is to lower the wage bill, and to not overcommit on long, expensive contracts to the likes of injury-prone Sylvain Marveaux, who chose Newcastle because they offered a longer, more lucrative deal which was too risky for LFC. Roma’s keeper Doni didn’t want to take a 60% pay cut and sit on the Anfield bench watching Pepe Reina. Brad Friedel, aged 40, simply didn’t want to sit on the bench, whatever the money, in the twilight of his career. All three are non-Brits, but they turned Liverpool down for their own reasons. None were high-priority targets, though, and with that in mind, Liverpool did not go the extra mile to land them. That may be different with the left-back targets of Clichy and Enrique, but as both are 12 months away from being free agents, it may be a case of deciding how much of a deduction in price is appropriate.

I can't imagine him being on decent wages here but I suppose players don't get a lot in France so comparatively we must have faired well!

I think the further down the league you are Tom the higher the wage you have to offer. Torres came to us accepting a wage cut because he believed, at that time, we were going places.

Except our owner is actually quite stingy with wages these days. Or that's the impression we get