Connor Wickham

KeithJ

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance that kid wickham is worth £10m yet, he didn't even make a double figure tally.

£6m max on potential and the fact he's young and English which bumps it up a bit.

What is the value of a player though Ant? He's just turned 18 and has scored 15 senior goals. 15 more than Carroll at that age, 12 more than Shearer at that age. I've watched him for England U18s as well, if this kid doesn't make it then something is wrong, he's the real deal, big lad too. Worst case scenario is he's shite and we sell him for 6s to a Villa/Wigan type club.

You boys can dream on with your prices. Whickham will go for North of £10m because he is English, a striker and has loads of potential. (like Carroll). And if you think that Chelsea would let go of Sturridge for £8m you need your bumps feeling. Treble that and you might be nearer.

Even if he is the real deal it's hardly going to help his development kicking around on the training pitch with Shola, Ranger, Best and Lovenkrands. That will make it hard to get the most out of him. Carroll got his confidence and earnt his stripes playing for us in the Championship, but at that stage he already had a fair bit of experience under his belt. I don't know much about this kid, but if he's not at the same level that Carroll was in the championship then he might find it tough to step up with the expectations a high price signing would have at Newcastle.

It would be an interesting signing, but I'm thinking we'd need to bring in an experienced quality forward to play alongside him to get the best value out of Wickham. A player like that doesn't come cheap.

Guest alex
Ipswich play him as a winger, hence his lack of goals per games.

cannot be much of a centre forward then

You can't just say that, especially with someone his age. Thierry Henry was played mostly as a winger before Wenger signed him. This isn't me saying Wickham is as good as Henry btw.

No chance that kid wickham is worth £10m yet, he didn't even make a double figure tally.

£6m max on potential and the fact he's young and English which bumps it up a bit.

What is the value of a player though Ant? He's just turned 18 and has scored 15 senior goals. 15 more than Carroll at that age, 12 more than Shearer at that age. I've watched him for England U18s as well, if this kid doesn't make it then something is wrong, he's the real deal, big lad too. Worst case scenario is he's shite and we sell him for 6s to a Villa/Wigan type club.

You boys can dream on with your prices. Whickham will go for North of £10m because he is English, a striker and has loads of potential. (like Carroll). And if you think that Chelsea would let go of Sturridge for £8m you need your bumps feeling. Treble that and you might be nearer.

Not forgetting Sturridge's wage demands. He left Manchester City to go to Chelsea for the money. And they're not two clubs who are exactly averse to throwing a few quid around.

Can anyone remember how well Andy Cole had done at Bristol City before we bought him? Cole was an Arsenal 'reject', iirc, so there's no certainty in how things really are when players are young. As for Wickham, he could be one of those who actually flourishes when put into a good team (do NUFC fit into that catagory?). And then, to counter my argument, there was Chris Armstrong (someone tell me if I've got the right name, as I'm not certain) who we bought from Palace, who looked like he would step up but didn't - and he was coming into a good team.

I guess it's all a gamble really. Therefore, I don't think the lad will be coming here - not for £10m anyway.

Can anyone remember how well Andy Cole had done at Bristol City before we bought him? Cole was an Arsenal 'reject', iirc, so there's no certainty in how things really are when players are young. As for Wickham, he could be one of those who actually flourishes when put into a good team (do NUFC fit into that catagory?). And then, to counter my argument, there was Chris Armstrong (someone tell me if I've got the right name, as I'm not certain) who we bought from Palace, who looked like he would step up but didn't - and he was coming into a good team.

I guess it's all a gamble really. Therefore, I don't think the lad will be coming here - not for £10m anyway.

There was a Chris Armstrong (who was a Geordie) that played for Palace. We were linked but never bought him?

Who else could you be thinking of?

FMA loves a good gamble tho

Guest alex

We were linked with Chris Armstrong but we didn't buy him, Spurs did. Not sure who you're thinking of - Paul Kitson from Derby mebbies?

howay lads, there is no fucking way the club is going to spend 10m on a player, it doesn't matter if he is a promising youngster or lionel fucking messi, the fuck cunt wont spunk 10m on a single player end of

howay lads, there is no fucking way the club is going to spend 10m on a player, it doesn't matter if he is a promising youngster or lionel fucking messi, the fuck cunt wont spunk 10m on a single player end of

yep too right. But I doubt he’ll go for a straight £10m anyway, will be £4 to £6m plus add ons.

Spurs are interested and will spend £10m on him without blinking. He's therefore worth it.

Not quite sure what the argument is re: Dyer though - we told both Man Utd & Leeds to fuck off when they came waving £20m for him yet he never fulfilled his potential here? He was unlucky with injuries, yes but then considering that we sold him on for a profit when we'd had far and away the best years of his career.

This is almost the same story as Dean Ashton when we were linked with him before he went to Norwich. A good player who was clearly going to get better but we didn't have the vision to see it.

I wonder if the FCB will buy him just because of his resale value?

Definitely take a punt on him for 10mil. Next Rooney in my opinion.

In an ideal world with a wealthy chairman we'd go get Huntelaar 8mil, Sturridge 10mil and Wickham 10mil as well as a new LB and cover for both fullback positions. A spend of 50mil is really required, could happen? But sadly i think we will spend nearer half that amount.

Wickham is the same height as Carroll and for me he could eventually have more to his game.

He's also significantly less likely to go to prison

In an ideal world with a non-cunt chairman we'd go get Huntelaar 8mil, Sturridge 10mil and Wickham 10mil as well as a new LB and cover for both fullback positions. A spend of 50mil is really required, but will never happen. Sadly i think we will be lucky to spend a quarter of that amount.

FYP :(

Wickham is the same height as Carroll and for me he could eventually have more to his game.

He's also significantly less likely to go to prison

So at 10mil he is well worth it.

Bit of Rooney/Sheringham and Shearer in him from what i've seen.