Connor Wickham

KeithJ

£13m is probably the going rate for a young quality English player these days, look at Henderson man, he's had 2 decent season's and he's fetched in £20m.

Two decent seasons? You know for a fact he wouldn't get in our team. £20m for a headless chicken?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good ambition from the mackems, ambition that we should be showing too.

13mil for wickham is too much though..10mil tops.

But then again if figures of 6-8mil for sturridge are true then there is no way wickham is worth 10.

I'd love us to go get them both.

When you're talking about those figures, a £3m difference is not a massive amount. If he bags them 20 goals a season he's more than worth it. Take Henderson out of the equation, they'd be replacing Darren Bent for a considerably younger player who could (deliberate emphasis) turn out far better and pocketing £5m. Good business if it comes off.

Can i please ask, and this is not a criticism, have those saying we should go out and buy him, h is a phenomenal prospect etc actually seen a whole lot of him. I havn't and therefore can't really comment, but it seems to me he could be very similar to jordan henderson. Completely overhyped which makes people who havn't really seen much of him think he is amazing when he actually may not be.

Seen him 5-6 times on TV and once in person at SJP (where he was the best player on the park by a mile).

He's totally unproven as a top level player, but such is the nature of the current transfer market. The potential there is huge though.

Can i please ask, and this is not a criticism, have those saying we should go out and buy him, h is a phenomenal prospect etc actually seen a whole lot of him. I havn't and therefore can't really comment, but it seems to me he could be very similar to jordan henderson. Completely overhyped which makes people who havn't really seen much of him think he is amazing when he actually may not be.

Seen him 5-6 times on TV and once in person at SJP (where he was the best player on the park by a mile).

He's totally unproven as a top level player, but such is the nature of the current transfer market. The potential there is huge though.

Same.

Seen him on sky a good few times last season, actually watched the Ipswich game just to see what this lad was about and then again at St James Park.

Like Stevie said i also see alot of Rooney in him, he's skillful and can move a bit and he's just got that "wonderkid" look about him on the pitch.

Personally i think we go to Ipswich and say here is 8mil upfront and possibly a 2mil add on if he scores 10 in his first season here.

I'd probably like us to offer a similar kind of deal for Sturridge too.

I know people will disagree but if we got them two and no other strikers i'd still be VERY happy and optimistic going into the new season.

Sturridge and Barfa as first choice, Wickham, Ba and Shola as backup/impact players.

Same.

Seen him on sky a good few times last season, actually watched the Ipswich game just to see what this lad was about and then again at St James Park.

Like Stevie said i also see alot of Rooney in him, he's skillful and can move a bit and he's just got that "wonderkid" look about him on the pitch.

Personally i think we go to Ipswich and say here is 8mil upfront and possibly a 2mil add on if he scores 10 in his first season here.

I know people will disagree but if we got them two and no other strikers i'd still be VERY happy and optimistic going into the new season.

Sturridge and Barfa as first choice, Wickham, Ba and Shola as backup/impact players.

Considering they've accepted the £13m bid from the Mackems, I can't see them getting excited at that one like :o

Ipswich lad at work reckons it's a £9m bid with £4m in clauses. Hefty amount of add-ons.

EDIT: And £10m signing Wickham who's got that "wonderkid" look about him and reminds you of Rooney to be a bench warmer? Dear lord.... :gettin::crylaughin: :crylaughin:

Same.

I think most would be more than happy with that, but both deals seem unlikely, especially Sturridge.

If he's really good or as good as the potential they are paying for then he wont be playing for a club in the North East for very long.

Unless he's French.

If he's really good or as good as the potential they are paying for then he wont be playing for a club in the North East for very long.

Which is why I can't see him being a certain 'Rooney-esq' type of player. If he were he'd be heading to NE1 today, as the sell-on in a season or two would have LardAsh's eyes watering now.

@cwarr07

Expect a twist in the Wickham transfer, reliably told that he won't be a #safc player

Quite a bold ITK statement bearing in mind reports he's having a medical there.

He's full of shit, not going to offer to eat my own bollocks or owt but this lad is a proven liar. Don't you remember where he photoshopped a players head onto a picture of Tiote when he signed? Was only a couple of weeks back, isn't that proof enough!? :o

Edited by Gejon

If he does turn out to be a quality signing, i don't see him being t Sunderland in a couple seasons, a top four team will come in and turn his head and Sunderlands with the money thay can offer.

However if he's gash it'll have been a waste of £13 million for the Macams

Time will tell, but i think if he's threw in as one of their main strikers and pressure put on him i think he might struggle to hit the ground running, he'll probably need to be introduced gently into the Premiership for him to flourish

@cwarr07

Expect a twist in the Wickham transfer, reliably told that he won't be a #safc player

He's full of shit, not going to offer to eat my own bollocks or owt but this lad is a proven liar. Don't you remember where he photoshopped a players head onto a picture of Tiote when he signed? Was only a couple of weeks back, isn't that proof enough!? :o

You mean they're still attached? :crylaughin::gettin:

@cwarr07

He's always wrong and when he's right he's saying no more than the average TT poster knows. He's not ''ITK'' he doesn't have contacts. He's a mug and he hasn't got a clue and I'm sick if seeing his name on toontastic - because when you peddle his shite you're taking the piss out of your fellow supporter.

@cwarr07

Posted 20 minutes after Paul Fraser of the Echo tweeted:

Sunderland fans: Don't count your chickens. Craig Gardner may well sign for #safc, but Wickham wants to join Liverpool.

Aye, fucking earth-shattering ITK that.... :o

It is good ambition from the mackems, ambition that we should be showing too.

13mil for wickham is too much though..10mil tops.

But then again if figures of 6-8mil for sturridge are true then there is no way wickham is worth 10.

I'd love us to go get them both.

When you're talking about those figures, a £3m difference is not a massive amount. If he bags them 20 goals a season he's more than worth it. Take Henderson out of the equation, they'd be replacing Darren Bent for a considerably younger player who could (deliberate emphasis) turn out far better and pocketing £5m. Good business if it comes off.

You have to ask yourself though, how many of the hundreds of strikers in england have it in them to bag 20+ goals a season the premiership, and secondly, how likely is it that someone outscores Bent, arguably one of the most prolific strikers in England. Emphasis on could, surely. Its not only a big IF, its a gigantic one.

Fact is it is risk, yes but the kid is still only 18. Even if doesn't live up to potential whoever buys him will likely get at least half of it back.

Smart bid from the Mackems too offering only 3/4 of the fee up front. The clauses will undoubtedly reflect the kid achieving that potential.

@cwarr07

Sunderland fans: Don't count your chickens. Craig Gardner may well sign for #safc, but Wickham wants to join Liverpool.

Aye, fucking earth-shattering ITK that.... :rolleyes:

And he copies sky news :o:gettin::crylaughin: :crylaughin: :rolleyes::D

So they're all ITK to some degree :rolleyes:

@cwarr07

Aye, fucking earth-shattering ITK that.... :o

I really am sick of CWarr07 but being one of the 4,000 daft cunts who follow him it's my own fault, I'm just trying to gain an understanding of what benefit to his life he gets by making up lies.

He's always wrong and when he's right he's saying no more than the average TT poster knows. He's not ''ITK'' he doesn't have contacts. He's a mug and he hasn't got a clue and I'm sick if seeing his name on toontastic - because when you peddle his shite you're taking the piss out of your fellow supporter.

Make it a banning offence. Go on.

I believe this is exactly what happened with Henderson, I watch the mackems quite a bit as i am sure most do on here and Henderson rarely did anything of note but he managed to generate a "false" reputation (my opinion of course) because he was young, english and starting for a home town club, it seemed as tho people were willing him to do well and that drove up his price and the same seems to be happening with this Whickham fella!

Agree with this. When Henderson first came onto the scene we all recognised that we had a good player with potential on our hands, but I think Bruce has played a blinder by talking him up to the extent that people have a perception that he's better than he is, ultimately culminating in a bid of however many millions it was being accepted and Henderson sold. The danger is that people see a player only a handful of times and if they play above their consistent level in those games then they get a false impression, I think Shola Ameobi is a clinical and consistent goal scorer for example :o

Is Henderson a good player? Yes he is but he's a long way off being worth the reported sum that Liverpool paid. The Premier League has had a problem for years in that clubs value their English players above their respective market worth, this will only escalate in future with the home grown player rule. Going off topic slightly but it probably also has an effect on the development of our national team, our players are perhaps priced out of playing abroad and gaining experience of different styles of football, maybe we're too one dimensional.