Connor Wickham

KeithJ

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will sound terrible, but I honestly believe it's true. Imagine you're a lower league player, who has been watched many times, and you aspire to play in the top division and your agent tells you it's Sunderland who have matched the valuation. Oh joy untold. Sunderland. I bet he can't sleep at night with the excitement.

Canny signing. Journos already talking about resale value. Bit depressing this selling climate around NE clubs.

Hate the way they do that as though the NE clubs have no right to buy decent players. They were absolutely convinced he was off to either Spurs or Liverpool and I'm guessing can't for the life of them understand why he'd go to Sunderland. In many respects it's comparable to when we signed Owen and the journos couldn't get their heads round why he'd choose us over Liverpool.

Massive statement of intent from the Mackems and one you have to commend. Understandable why they're chuffed to bits - lets face it we would have been.

Clearly you pay over the odds for Wickham's potential. You can't argue that it shows ambition.

On the other hand, when our free transfers and cheap players don't pan out, we can say we didn't waste much money and are fiscally responsible.

@cwarr07

Expect a twist in the Wickham transfer, reliably told that he won't be a #safc player

Quite a bold ITK statement bearing in mind reports he's having a medical there.

Oh well, he can't win them all.

Canny signing. Journos already talking about resale value. Bit depressing this selling climate around NE clubs.

Hate the way they do that as though the NE clubs have no right to buy decent players. They were absolutely convinced he was off to either Spurs or Liverpool and I'm guessing can't for the life of them understand why he'd go to Sunderland. In many respects it's comparable to when we signed Owen and the journos couldn't get their heads round why he'd choose us over Liverpool.

Massive statement of intent from the Mackems and one you have to commend. Understandable why they're chuffed to bits - lets face it we would have been.

I just don't like the touted inevitability around the reselling of these signings. On our side, you've got players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa talked about as massive profit makers. Now, the mackems make a good ambitious signing in Whickham and the same is said of them. That sort of mindset is never going to get the NE back as a top footballing region.

Of course, I don't mind when Sunderland flog their best players :o

I just don't like the touted inevitability around the reselling of these signings. On our side, you've got players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa talked about as massive profit makers. Now, the mackems make a good ambitious signing in Whickham and the same is said of them. That sort of mindset is never going to get the NE back as a top footballing region.

To be fair i'm not sure whether it is even a media bias or anything like that. NUFC and SAFC wont be threatining the top 4/5 for a long time and if players from either of our clubs realise a potential that would see them capable of playing for one of the top 4/5 teams then its likely that they're going to be sold. I think the same can be said for all other teams outside the so called elite, including mainstays such as Everton. I'd possibly even put Spurs in that category as well, look at the Modric situation, Chelsea make a bid, Spurs turn it down, player allegedly wants to leave. Its just where we are in todays food chain I'm afraid.

To be fair i'm not sure whether it is even a media bias or anything like that. NUFC and SAFC wont be threatining the top 4/5 for a long time and if players from either of our clubs realise a potential that would see them capable of playing for one of the top 4/5 teams then its likely that they're going to be sold. I think the same can be said for all other teams outside the so called elite, including mainstays such as Everton. I'd possibly even put Spurs in that category as well, look at the Modric situation, Chelsea make a bid, Spurs turn it down, player allegedly wants to leave. Its just where we are in todays food chain I'm afraid.

Oh, believe me, it's Mr Mike Ashley and his house of Bargains that has turned NUFC this way. If Quinn is an ambitious owner (and tbf, I reckon he is) you'll be beating off all suitors with a shitty stick if Whickham becomes a success. Players like him coming good will take you to the next level. Unfortunately for NUFC, we've either sold those players (Carroll) or will sell those players soon enough (Tiote, Ben Arfa, Enrique). This is going down a dark corridor with talk of ambition and money on this board so I'll leave it there. Whickham's a good signing after Larsson and Westwood being rather underwhelming IMO.

Oh, believe me, it's Mr Mike Ashley and his house of Bargains that has turned NUFC this way. If Quinn is an ambitious owner (and tbf, I reckon he is) you'll be beating off all suitors with a shitty stick if Whickham becomes a success. Players like him coming good will take you to the next level. Unfortunately for NUFC, we've either sold those players (Carroll) or will sell those players soon enough (Tiote, Ben Arfa, Enrique). This is going down a dark corridor with talk of ambition and money on this board so I'll leave it there. Whickham's a good signing after Larsson and Westwood being rather underwhelming IMO.

Wouldnt disagree about the Mike Ashley thing mate although if he was a respectable figure you may even argue that his policy is quite a sensible one in terms of shifting high earners, buying low / selling high etc as this would be financially beneficial for NUFC, but you just get the feeling that its more for his own personal gain, either way its a risky model. I think Quinn is an ambitious chairman and Short an ambitious owner but I dont think anyone will disagree that clubs are resigned to losing players if they express a desire to leave, no matter how big that shitty stick is. You could probably count on one hand the number of players that have been forced to stay at a club in these situations. I was going to cite Fabregas as an example but i dont think he's ever came out and publicly said he wants to leave the arse?

quite a gamble by them, replacing the finished article (Bent) with unproven potential.

What finished article would ever in the right mind want to sign for Sunderland?

This is their only option to gamble on hyped up players and getting a fucking hard on over it, even though he's never stepped foot on a premiership football field.

]

What finished article would ever in the right mind want to sign for Sunderland?

This is their only option to gamble on hyped up players and getting a fucking hard on over it, even though he's never stepped foot on a premiership football field.

erm... darren bent, asamoah gyan, cisse, naill quinn

next

Annoyed with this. Great signing for the filth but its one we should of been ahead of them in.

Call it bitter but i hope the lads a flop.

And on the same day we are said to not be interested in Sturridge who WBA and Stoke are after.........

Come on Mike pull ya fuckin finger out you fat fuckin clown.

Great signing for Sunderland, absolutely pathetic that we didn't go in for him, he'd obviously have chosen us over them, and we didn't even have a go. £8m isn't even a gamble it's less than 1/4 of the Carroll fee, and we are total mugs. He's not a flash in the pan, and as a poster said earlier he was the best player on the pitch for Ipswich when he played here, he'd just turned 17. I wouldn't care he fits in with the model of player they're supposedly wanting to sign as well.

I don't think Sunderland have ever signed a player of bigger stature than this in terms of beating clubs to a quality player like ever. Cracking deal for the mackems, hats off to Brewce.

Excellent signing for them like and Liverpool will once again be writing their letters of disgust to whatever newspaper they haven't fallen out with. If we were signing him I'd have been chuffed. Like Stevie says, it's exactly the type of player you would think we would be going for.

Great signing for Sunderland, absolutely pathetic that we didn't go in for him, he'd obviously have chosen us over them, and we didn't even have a go. £8m isn't even a gamble it's less than 1/4 of the Carroll fee, and we are total mugs. He's not a flash in the pan, and as a poster said earlier he was the best player on the pitch for Ipswich when he played here, he'd just turned 17. I wouldn't care he fits in with the model of player they're supposedly wanting to sign as well.

I don't think Sunderland have ever signed a player of bigger stature than this in terms of beating clubs to a quality player like ever. Cracking deal for the mackems, hats off to Brewce.

That's a good point actually.

Seems to be a lot of sour grapes from within our masses. I bet the same people who are coming out with 'he's shit' would have been rubbing their hands had he come here instead.

Moot point however IMO, he doesn't fit into Ashley's structure.

Best part of 10 Mil for an oversized, inexperienced Jon Stead ?

No thanks.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Seems to be a lot of sour grapes from within our masses. I bet the same people who are coming out with 'he's shit' would have been rubbing their hands had he come here instead.

He should do.

Anyway, if we're not in for him, then hopefully it's because Pardew or the super-human Graham Carr hasn't seen what they want and not because fatty thinks he's too expensive.

northern soul doing his level best to epitomize that