Cheick Tiote

Picked up yet another yellow today. You could tell from his reaction just how frustrated he was with it.

14 for the season now. 1 more and he'll face a ban next season, which would be ridiculous.

For all his qualities, his disciplinary record is really starting to overshadow the positive sides of his play and more significantly, it's led to him missing vital matches.

As mentioned in the match thread; can this really be drilled out of him (somewhat, at least) without diluting -for want of a better word - his intensity whilst on the ball? He'll be 25 in a couple of months. He's not an over-excited teenager and he needs to learn to think a little more before putting himself about defensively speaking.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say "overshadow". His play is intense, sure, but he's not unproffesional (a.k.a. he's no De Jong).

You either train it out of him (can be done), or find a good substitute close to his level of play (not Guthrie, not Alan).

Agreed.

He bosses our midfield, so calm and collected under pressure and spreads play well. Easily our best and most important player.

Being our most important player makes losing him to suspension an even bigger issue.

He clearly enjoys the physical side of the game but time and time again he is late or reckless and its not for a lack of pace nor composure. I think its just a rush of blood or a split second where he loses concentration.

Im not sure if it can be tamed, i think we need to accept it that we will lose him for 4-5 games a season but more importantly have him at his best in the side 33 games a season.

I heard Pardew was looking at bringing in some tough tackling French midfielder as he will be missing for the African cup of nations as well. The french player whose name escapes me was also a bit of a play maker. Which I think could be a good thing in building a really solid midfield.

Problem is if you done that and put ben arfa in the hole then where does Nolan fit in? Be unfair to exclude Nolan after being one of the top goal scoring midfielders this season. Mind you Ben Arfa will take time to get back to his best.

Ben Arfa can play in Lovo's place. He won't press up as much but he'll create a lot more. He's played 2nd striker before, with great results...

With one more yellow card meaning a 3 match ban that could lead to him missing the start of the season and the fact we are now safe, should we drop him and give a few young lads a go?

With one more yellow card meaning a 3 match ban that could lead to him missing the start of the season and the fact we are now safe, should we drop him and give a few young lads a go?

I'm pretty sure his season is over.

Hopefully Pardew will not be stupid by proving me wrong.

I guess Pardew may have told him that if he picks up another booking hes out for the remainder of the games, which is why he reacted the way he did when he got booked.

Sounds about right to me.

you have to take the bad points if you want the good points.

When he is playing for someone like ManU they will accept it is part of his game ala Roy Keane.

you have to take the bad points if you want the good points.

When he is playing for someone like ManU they will accept it is part of his game ala Roy Keane.

Thats what i said... :icon_lol:

incidentally, if he got himself sent off (straight red) in the next match would that then mean he'd only get a one game ban and reset his cards instead of waiting on the next yellow and getting a 3 game ban?

incidentally, if he got himself sent off (straight red) in the next match would that then mean he'd only get a one game ban and reset his cards instead of waiting on the next yellow and getting a 3 game ban?

In that case i hope he plays and absolutely snaps Torres.

thought he was ridiculously unlucky to get booked today

also, if we spend more time with the ball in matches (like we did today) and therefore more time attacking, hell, if we had 1 striker who could keep the ball at the other end of the pitch for any significant amount of time, tiote would need to put fewer tackles in, we wouldn't be stretched or under stress/pressure as much and therefore he'd pick up fewer yellows.

it all stems from our lack of game carrying quality in any area of the pitch in front of him

He seems to be a victim of his reputation aswell, sometimes referee's just seem to want to book him for the littlest reasons

Pretty much all of his booking have been warranted and many come for persistent fouling. In my opinion some of them are acceptable, but many are silly. Let's not forget that he now holds the record for most yellow cards in a season, so it's not like he's merely bad, he's the worst ever in this regards.

Can clearly change the way he plays to remove the silly niggley stuff that compounds itself as yellow cards. A high number of cards is acceptable for a player like Tiote, but the rate he's currently amassing them at is not. He obviously knows it's a problem which is good because that's the first step to fixing it.

Edited by OzToonFan

The Metro are in the CaughtOffside, tabloid papers, TribalFootball category of football writing. Thankfully.

Denial isnt a river in Africa...he's wanted at other clubs, so he'll be sold if you ask me. Its how our leaders are doing things, rightly or wrongly. Whether its a success or not depends entirely on the replacements for the likes of him and Enrique. There are clubs out there who have been very successful (by most measures) with this sort of model e.g. Lyon have sold almost all their best players regularly over the last decade and have only recently slipped from the pinnacle of the game in France. But when a player is sold there (and every player has his price) his replacement is usually already at the club. The chairman at Lyon Jean Michel Aulas runs his club in this way and its been a huge success for him....not sure if Deek n Meek have been picking up too many tips from him though...tbh I'd be surprised if they could point to France on a map :icon_lol:

The Metro are in the CaughtOffside, tabloid papers, TribalFootball category of football writing. Thankfully.

Denial isnt a river in Africa...he's wanted at other clubs, so he'll be sold if you ask me. Its how our leaders are doing things, rightly or wrongly. Whether its a success or not depends entirely on the replacements for the likes of him and Enrique. There are clubs out there who have been very successful (by most measures) with this sort of model e.g. Lyon have sold almost all their best players regularly over the last decade and have only recently slipped from the pinnacle of the game in France. But when a player is sold there (and every player has his price) his replacement is usually already at the club. The chairman at Lyon Jean Michel Aulas runs his club in this way and its been a huge success for him....not sure if Deek n Meek have been picking up too many tips from him though...tbh I'd be surprised if they could point to France on a map :icon_lol:

As is the case with 98% of clubs.

The Carroll sale (the 8th most expensive player ever) has 'confirmed' a few beliefs.

If we get silly bids for players we will sell, as said, that is the case for the majority of clubs, even Manchester United.