Shola

Christmas Tree

Together with Krul, Taylor and Forster (hopefully he stays as back-up/rotation option) he's an experienced homegrown player, that's important for the Euro team.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get in the Euro 2012 team? Come on Roy, he hasn't played for Nigeria yet, he's still eligible.

Do you know what he had a better shout than Carroll who got in on 30mins in a cup final.

Didn't get in the Euro 2012 team? Come on Roy, he hasn't played for Nigeria yet, he's still eligible.

You can laugh, but there was a time when he was scoring for fun in the U21's and getting goals for us at the likes of Anfield and Leverkusen, all the while the only strikers Erikson was picking were Owen,Heskey and Darius fuckin Vassel. He didnt even make a squad at the time though, poor fucker.

He was on the verge of a callup before one of the England games at SJP, only to get injured iirc.

that is right IIRC, it may have been a bit of a sap to sell tickets, but this has always happened and if he had got his cap they all count.

Since we have more competition up front he seems to be working more tbh.

#

he still loses the ball sometimes and is completely unpredictable, but he is using his body strength now better than he has ever done, in the closing minutes of games and when he has came on as a sub for the last 20 minutes or so. He definitely has performed better last season in his fleeting moments than any other time in his career.

I've always thought he should have spent his career bashing central defenders all over the pitch, suddenly the message seems to have hit home.

Edited by LeazesMag

Shola is no diferent to the player he was in the past. The difference is he is now surrounded by mobile, pacy players.

Phase one was being understudy to Shearer. Both players were limited, pace wise, but Shearer obviously took priority.

Once Shearer retired, we didn't really have any pace up front at all. Now we have a much more mobile team, Shola can play the battering ram role more successfully.

Martins was absolutely gas tbf. I think the main reason he's been doing well off the bench is he only has to do it for 20 minutes and everyone else is knackered.

Martins was absolutely gas tbf. I think the main reason he's been doing well off the bench is he only has to do it for 20 minutes and everyone else is knackered.

Martins was quick, but he's not exactly the most intelligent player. Next to impossible to play off, which is why we ended up needing both Viduka and Owen to get anything out of him.

Shola always looked canny alongside Bellamy, but we usually ended up playing Shearer and Bellamy.

Shola and LuaLua were a useful 'plan B' partnership in Europe under Bobby IIRC.

:lol: that was nearly ten years ago

Can't be ten years already ?

Fuck sake, I'm feeling old

#

he still loses the ball sometimes and is completely unpredictable, but he is using his body strength now better than he has ever done, in the closing minutes of games and when he has came on as a sub for the last 20 minutes or so. He definitely has performed better last season in his fleeting moments than any other time in his career.

I've always thought he should have spent his career bashing central defenders all over the pitch, suddenly the message seems to have hit home.

He's beefed up considerably too, from the gangly lop he was 10 yr ago.

I've been saying for a long time now that Shola, after some of the horrible injuries, is not fit enough to play a full 90 minutes. He's a very good impact sub who can hold up the ball, whack a few defenders and seems to have a good burst of energy you wouldn't normally see if he starts the game. If we don't get backup then we'll all be back to moaning about him in January again when it's ACN time.

Shola and LuaLua were a useful 'plan B' partnership in Europe under Bobby IIRC.

:lol: that was nearly ten years ago

My memory tells me Shola was canny in Europe as well