Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

Well to give The Fish his dues he did point out that they lacked a military strategist amongst her forces. Ser Jorah should be back with her soon which could rectify that but a great sell sword doesn't necessarily equate to being a great strategist.

Also Olenna's words to dragon tits in the previous episode to ignore clever men played out in this episode when she took their advice not to go after the Iron ships and in doing so has seen her own fleet destroyed.

Read something about Cersei /Jaime knowing Tyrion too well and knowing he'd give a shit about Casterly rock when they don't - makes sense. 

Bran was a fucking creep like. 

Got to say, I'm not amazed by this series so far. Looking at a map of Westeros, loads of things just don't make geographical sense. Euron is the worst offender, how the fuck did he turn up to Casterly Rock that soon? Let alone build the world's biggest armada using the resources of the Farne islands in a few months.

Then the Tyrells being wiped out without Jamie breaking sweat. Haven't read the books but got the impression they were supposed to be a force. Disappointing. Also think the acting is getting weirdly sub par. Meh. Still the best thing on telly but in danger of believing it's own hype.  

Edited by Renton

:lol: Aye Euron's teleporting mega fleet is a bit mental. It's also funny that they all seem to know each other's whereabouts most the time but Jaime marched a fucking army right up to the Tyrells home without anyone catching wind of it. 

I'm also having a hard time with them not believing Jon. Aye it sounds like bollocks but you also have 3 fucking dragons which she gave a big speech about how they defy belief. Also what would he gain from lying about something like a zombie army. 

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Got to say, I'm not amazed by this series so far. Looking at a map of Westeros, loads of things just don't make geographical sense. Euron is the worst offender, how the fuck did he turn up to Casterly Rock that soon? Let alone build the world's biggest armada using the resources of the Farne islands in a few months.

Then the Tyrells being wiped out without Jamie breaking sweat. Haven't read the books but got the impression they were supposed to be a force. Disappointing. Also think the acting is getting weirdly sub par. Meh. Still the best thing on telly but in danger of believing it's own hype.  

It was difficult to gauge just how long events were taking in the episode because everything moved so fast. It's likely that it took Euron a couple of days to sail to Casterly Rock which isn't that incredible. And the Ironborn wouldn't have built the entire fleet themselves. It's likely that most of the ships in their fleet were probably stolen over the last couple of months as theft is their natural MO.

Olenna herself said that her forces weren't really fighters. Given that they were up against the best trained/organised army in Westeros it really isn't a surprise that they were quite comprehensively beaten. 

But most of all, it's a TV show about dragons and white walkers. I wouldn't question the realism of it too much.

55 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It was difficult to gauge just how long events were taking in the episode because everything moved so fast. It's likely that it took Euron a couple of days to sail to Casterly Rock which isn't that incredible. And the Ironborn wouldn't have built the entire fleet themselves. It's likely that most of the ships in their fleet were probably stolen over the last couple of months as theft is their natural MO.

Olenna herself said that her forces weren't really fighters. Given that they were up against the best trained/organised army in Westeros it really isn't a surprise that they were quite comprehensively beaten. 

But most of all, it's a TV show about dragons and white walkers. I wouldn't question the realism of it too much.

Rubbish. I f you look at the map, you can see he has to sail around a continent to get to CR. Would take months in a sailing vessel, especially as Euron Izzard popped off to say Hi to Cersei in kings landing on the way (mysteriously bypassing Dragon tits on Dragonstone twice). It was definitely his custom ship too.

Your other point is a predictable cop out. It's fantasy genre, heavily derivative of lord of the rings and historical periods throughout the ages. This is just what it is. But that's no excuse for glaringly stupid continuity errors. These were entirely absent before series 6, now they are all over the shop. I half expect Euron to turn up in a ship at winterfell next week with his new lover, the night king. 

I think it's noticeable the plot holes are developing the further it diverges from the books. 

Edited by Renton

If you want to remain within the realms of reality then sail boats can travel over 1000 miles in three days. Just what is the distance from KL to CR? 

And given that that we haven't seen Euron there's no guarantee that it isn't a separate fleet of his.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If you want to remain within the realms of reality then sail boats can travel over 1000 miles in three days. Just what is the distance from KL to CR? 

And given that that we haven't seen Euron there's no guarantee that it isn't a separate fleet of his.

You'd have to sail right around Dorne. There's no scale on the maps I've seen but it is a continental mass, thousands of miles. The samish trip took Sam a whole series. There was a close up of Euron's ship at CR which is three times bigger than anything else. Heavily implied he led the attack. This tactical nautical mastermind who only appeared last series after being away on a lifelong bachelor sabbatical.

Meanwhile other central characters are being offed at an alarming rate. Were the castle walls of Highgarden made of polystyrene? How come all the other castles in westeros required lengthy sieges or sabbateurs to conquer, yet all Jamie has to do is open a door to get to Ollena?

Honestly, it's turned a bit shit imo. 

43 minutes ago, Renton said:

You'd have to sail right around Dorne. There's no scale on the maps I've seen but it is a continental mass, thousands of miles. The samish trip took Sam a whole series. There was a close up of Euron's ship at CR which is three times bigger than anything else. Heavily implied he led the attack. This tactical nautical mastermind who only appeared last series after being away on a lifelong bachelor sabbatical.

Meanwhile other central characters are being offed at an alarming rate. Were the castle walls of Highgarden made of polystyrene? How come all the other castles in westeros required lengthy sieges or sabbateurs to conquer, yet all Jamie has to do is open a door to get to Ollena?

I'm getting the feeling they're desperate to finish it as quickly as possible so they can get on to the spin-offs.

This 7/6 episode thing is wrong - a normal 10 ep season would have allowed a lack of these glaring timeline anomalies. 

It reminds me a bit of Babylon 5 which was meticulously written to last 5 years but because of a cancellation threat too much was crammed into S4 and then S5 had to be filled out a bit after it was confirmed. This meant S4 was a breakneck fantastic ride but overall it was too quick with the same kind of timeline jumps. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

To be fair, we've no idea how long it took him to sail his fleet from KL to CR, nor how fast sailed boats can travel in this setting.

Maybe they can travel twice or three times as fast as those in reality?

Maybe Euron took a fortnight to travel the distance?

Maybe they set off for CR and were to arrive before the Unsullied army (which also had to travel great distances but on foot or on slower boats), but held back to trap them in a bay?

I wouldn't worry so much about timing, it's existed throughout the show's run and teleporting armadas are preferable to boring shots of ships sailing on open seas, or someone setting off and being forgotten about until the season's end.

Re: the Tyrells, they're powerful politically and financially but have never been a particularly powerful military force and they just came up against a surprise attack by that world's largest, best trained, best organised army. Oh and when I say "Surprise attack" I don't mean Jamie turned up at the front door unannounced. Sure the Tyrells may have had a week of notice, but that's hardly enough time to muster their forces, especially when one of their key bannermen (Tarly) has joined the other side.

Edited by The Fish

Be interesting to see how Olenna's revelation will affect the Lannister siblings. Jamie will surely tell Cersei and try to mend some wounds, Cersei will be impervious and that'll drive the wedge between them further.

Dany will be pissed off that her hand has failed tactically on 3? occasions now. She needs a Selmy as the others aren't great; Jon is too emotional, Tyrion tries to be too clever, Yara is captured, Varys doesn't seem to have his flock of birds and the red woman is leaving.

Jorah will surely head for Dragonstone, but that's some distance and he's as likely to bump into some random on the way (Jamie and the Lannister army?) ads he is to disappear for most of the season. Either that or he'll just catch the Euron Red Eye and turn up in episode 4

My reading of the trailer was they made have their first victory by way laying the delivery of the Tyrell  gold to the bank, leaving the Lannisters broke. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

ti_graphics_got-maps_full-map.png

Going off that map it's safe to assume that KL to CR is less than 3000 miles. Easily doable in under a week by the greatest navy on the seas. It really isn't worth worrying too much about details like this though.

8 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye Euron's teleporting mega fleet is a bit mental. It's also funny that they all seem to know each other's whereabouts most the time but Jaime marched a fucking army right up to the Tyrells home without anyone catching wind of it. 

I'm also having a hard time with them not believing Jon. Aye it sounds like bollocks but you also have 3 fucking dragons which she gave a big speech about how they defy belief. Also what would he gain from lying about something like a zombie army. 

Dragons had been common in Westeros up to the last hundred years or so and their skeletons had been in the Red Keep to be seen.  The White Walkers had been gone for a thousand years or more, before there was any real records kept so they have been considered a myth for many hundreds of years.  I suppose it's like to us if dinosaurs reappeared compared to griffins or unicorns (or dragons).  While most would be sceptical (to say the least) at first, we do know dinosaurs existed at one point whereas unicorns are considered pure fantasy.

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

My reading of the trailer was they made have their first victory by way laying the delivery of the Tyrell  gold to the bank, leaving the Lannisters broke. 

You think? Makes sense going by the the name of the episode, "The Spoils of War". 

Also GRRM loves to knacker someone's plan just after they think it's succeeded. So Cersei's joy will turn to ash in her mouth when the Iron Bank demand their money that's now on it's way to Dragonstone.

6 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Dragons had been common in Westeros up to the last hundred years or so and their skeletons had been in the Red Keep to be seen.  The White Walkers had been gone for a thousand years or more, before there was any real records kept so they have been considered a myth for many hundreds of years.  I suppose it's like to us if dinosaurs reappeared compared to griffins or unicorns (or dragons).  While most would be sceptical (to say the least) at first, we do know dinosaurs existed at one point whereas unicorns are considered pure fantasy.

Aye, and Jon didn't do a very good job of making his case. They've killed loads of wights, why haven't they kept a hand in a jar for a maester to inspect?

One problem I have; The Red Woman knows about the Night King, she wants that to be the focus, so why didn't she tell Dany about it before Jon arrived. "Here, Dragon Tits, I'm off cos these two aren't my biggest fans, but before I do, there's this geet big army of dead people lead by Darth Maul and this mopey cunt needs your help defeating them, or we're all fucked. Cheers, tarah

Oh and, for dinner? don't suggest a barbecue... or kebabs. Ok thanks byeee"

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The gold is definitely going to be jacked. But whether it's by Dragon Tits remains to be seen. I'd be surprised if it were that straightforward.

If not her, who else?

Northern armies are in Winterfell.

The Army of the Vale is in Winterfell

Unsullied are stuck in Casterly Rock

Dornish army is either still in Dorne or at the bottom of the sea and, importantly, has no leader.

Brothers without Banners are in the North and are way too small a force to jack an army

The Tully Army will still be in Riverrun or scattered to the wind and unless Edmure has rescued his wife and kid John Maclean style, I can't see him leading a force to face the Lannister's.