Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

10 hours ago, ewerk said:

Also, I thought that there was magic built into the wall to stop the undead from passing?

There is in the books, has it ever been explicitly mentioned in the show?

Yeah, I think Benjen mentioned it at some point.

Overall the episode wasn't anything exciting. It pretty much tied up a lot of the loose ends that were in play. I thought the scene with Sam and Bran was particularly forced.

Edited by ewerk

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah, I think Benjen mentioned it at some point.

Overall the episode wasn't anything exciting. It pretty much tied up a lot of the loose ends that were in play. I thought the scene with Sam and Bran was particularly forced.

That scene was just for those who couldn't work out (I'm guessing Ant given what else he's missed :razz: ) what was obvious to the rest of us from the episode before last.

Littlefinger came as a bit of a shock.  I never expected him to make it all the way to the end but he's gone sooner than I would have thought.

Bran being touched by the Night King was certainly the reason why I thought the dead were able to pass through the magic of the wall.  But as Andrew says it's not been mentioned much in the show.  

It's been mentioned a few times, by Benjen and a couple others I think. 

I enjoyed the episode a lot, and there were still a few surprises, but it didn't feel like the end of other seasons. Perhaps because the pace was so quick this season. 

Was surprised to see Littlefinger get his comeuppance, but I guess there's going to be less need of plotters in the next season. He's not likely to get in the ear of the Night King.

They played a few things really well, the zombie scene, Littlefinger's scene, the scene between Tyrion and Cersei.

To be honest I enjoyed the way Cersei was used in the episode, her reaction to the zombie, her scene with Tyrion and the breakdown of her and Jaime's relationship.

It was well within character for her to state she didn't give a fuck about the world and only herself/family - and also as an extension of that to tell Jaime he could fuck off as she now has a new Lannister to focus on. 

Meant to add her bit about her two kids not dying if Tywin had lived was a push - the Sands wouldn't have cared about him in pursuit of revenge for Oberon. 

Tommen was mainly her fault for using the high sparrow to get Margery but I can see her thinking that would have panned differently with Tywin. 

27 minutes ago, NJS said:

Meant to add her bit about her two kids not dying if Tywin had lived was a push - the Sands wouldn't have cared about him in pursuit of revenge for Oberon. 

Tommen was mainly her fault for using the high sparrow to get Margery but I can see her thinking that would have panned differently with Tywin. 

That's how she views the world though, she constantly fucks up, causes people she supposedly cared for to die and takes no responsibility.

Its always someone elses fault.

52 minutes ago, Ant said:

because the dragon needed told before to spit fire by it's mother...

The living ones did, sure. But it's dead and he's a wizard Harry.

6 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Littlefinger came as a bit of a shock.  I never expected him to make it all the way to the end but he's gone sooner than I would have thought.

I enjoyed the scene.  Not sure it was worth dedicating the Stark sisters arc to for the whole series though. 

I'd have preferred they spent more of that time on people travelling places.  I'm the first to complain about all the walking in Lord of the Rings but the way people were teleporting all over in this series and using crows like mobile phones was a complete gear shift from the time investment put into previous seasons.

2 hours ago, Happy Face said:

I enjoyed the scene.  Not sure it was worth dedicating the Stark sisters arc to for the whole series though. 

I'd have preferred they spent more of that time on people travelling places.  I'm the first to complain about all the walking in Lord of the Rings but the way people were teleporting all over in this series and using crows like mobile phones was a complete gear shift from the time investment put into previous seasons.

Don't think they could squeeze everything they needed to + "realistic" travel/ravenmail times.

15 hours ago, The Fish said:

Don't think they could squeeze everything they needed to + "realistic" travel/ravenmail times.

Aye, that's what I mean, that's why the whole Stark sister storyline was such a pain when it used up valuable time.

It seemed to result in Little finger's death only to give them something to do and provide them some tension, but he could equally have been ran over by a horse while out for a walk.

The question of whether or not they are friends seemed completely inconsequential, throughout the season, when everyone else is teleporting about the place trying to sort out the fate of the world.  Their entire journey for the season can be summed up by "Arya returned to Winterfell"

She's still hard as nails.

Her sister is still Queen of the North, despite not having nowt to do in reality but sit on her hands.

32 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

Aye, that's what I mean, that's why the whole Stark sister storyline was such a pain when it used up valuable time.

It seemed to result in Little finger's death only to give them something to do and provide them some tension, but he could equally have been ran over by a horse while out for a walk.

The question of whether or not they are friends seemed completely inconsequential, throughout the season, when everyone else is teleporting about the place trying to sort out the fate of the world.  Their entire journey for the season can be summed up by "Arya returned to Winterfell"

Her sister is still Queen of the North, despite not having nowt to do in reality but sit on her hands.

I think idfthey had hinted at Littlefinger colluding with the Lannisters, then his scheming would have seemed more critical. As it stood, his ambition to sit on the Iron Throne wasn't a concern because although he had a tentative control of the Knights of the Vale, it was clear that Royce (?) would leap at any chance to switch allegiance to someone else. And the Knights of the Vale aside, he has no power. It was made obvious that Sansa was no longer wholesale buying what he was selling, it was obvious that Bran was immune to his bullshit, as was Arya.

imo the show should have had Littlefinger plotting throughout this season with lesser Northern Lords and the Lannisters. Make his betrayals and machinations have weight in major characters' stories. Currently all it was going to do was make Sansa's grip on the North weaker or firmer until Jon returned with Daenerys and the whole R+L=J stuff eclipses all other storylines. Which likely be episode 1 or 2 in season 8.

Have the Stark sister storyline be about Arya distrusting Baelish, investigating his plot, basically hunting him, discovering it all the while trying to get the trust of Sansa who would obviously be reluctant to trust her newly returned creepy psycho sister. But do it over the whole season, rather than just squeezing it into a few episodes.

1 hour ago, Happy Face said:

S7 was pretty poor apart from the dragon fire bits. First two eps were the worst I've seen in a long time and as you say the whole Winterfell bits were tedious with no real drive. I swapped sides to the Night King by the end of it all. :D

Been watching Lost again and although parts are crammed with cheese and actors 'staring' at each other for ages it seems more rewarding in many ways. Crazy convoluted story lines ftw.

Edited by Park Life

• 1 year later...

OBVIOUSLY SOME SPOILERS.

Anyone watching S8 or have we al fallen asleep? First 2 episodes, that's 1/4 of the last series, fuck all has happened. Just a long recap with some in-jokes. Arya getting nailed, which just seemed wrong, is about the only eye brow raiser.

Next episode os obviously an hour long zombie battle, but with 3/4 of the cast hemmed up in Winterfell it's inconcievable the dead can win so for me there is little tension. The series arc is predictable. I hope something amazingly unexpected happens but I'm dubious tbh, we'll see. 

Episode 2 was well written I thought. I really enjoyed it but said much the same to the missus, there’s only 6 episodes and this time next week we’ll be halfway through. 

The Dani/John Snow thing is the key storyline. From the outset it seems pretty easy to see how that will play out but we’ll see.

I've been enjoying it, both episodes have been full of good, important character moments.

Next week the action kicks off, some well liked characters will fall for sure. If the threat of the dead is done by the end of next week, which I doubt as GoT is rarely that cut and dried then the question of the throne and who else is going to fall, which sides certain characters will fall into when we're back to people fighting people and who that will put them at odds with will be good to watch as well.

Surprised you've managed to make to make it 8 seasons in with takes like that Renton.

48 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Episode 2 was well written I thought. I really enjoyed it but said much the same to the missus, there’s only 6 episodes and this time next week we’ll be halfway through. 

The Dani/John Snow thing is the key storyline. From the outset it seems pretty easy to see how that will play out but we’ll see.

Only 6 episodes? Shit, thought there were 8. The pacing of the show in its entirety hasn't been great tbh.

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I've been enjoying it, both episodes have been full of good, important character moments.

Next week the action kicks off, some well liked characters will fall for sure. If the threat of the dead is done by the end of next week, which I doubt as GoT is rarely that cut and dried then the question of the throne and who else is going to fall, which sides certain characters will fall into when we're back to people fighting people and who that will put them at odds with will be good to watch as well.

Surprised you've managed to make to make it 8 seasons in with takes like that Renton.

Why? Loved it and really appreciate a story arc which has a destination, rather than the usual bollocks series where they descend into a soap opera or worse. Just think the last 2 series (so far) have been worse than the preceding ones. Also the 2 year gap hasnt helped. The actors have physically aged. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Why? Loved it and really appreciate a story arc which has a destination, rather than the usual bollocks series where they descend into a soap opera or worse. Just think the last 2 series (so far) have been worse than the preceding ones. Also the 2 year gap hasnt helped. The actors have physically aged. 

Because if you've been following the characters for 7+ seasons and think nothing happened in the last two episodes I don't really understand what you've been getting out of the show I suppose.

This is not specifically calling you out btw as I've seen it all over the internet so far but the fact people have a problem with Arya having some fairly un-graphic consensual sex when almost every other female character in the series has been raped at some point is quite odd.

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Because if you've been following the characters for 7+ seasons and think nothing happened in the last two episodes I don't really understand what you've been getting out of the show I suppose.

This is not specifically calling you out btw as I've seen it all over the internet so far but the fact people have a problem with Arya having some fairly un-graphic consensual sex when almost every other female character in the series has been raped at some point is quite odd.

Well I've not read anything on the internet since the new series began so I've  given an independent opinion. I'm just finding it a bit contrived, and really, what has happened? We even have Tyrion repeating the same jokes, literally, without bothering to make new ones. 

The Arya thing is just because she was a kid at the start, obviously. And she still looks like an early teens tomboy despite being in her 20s. But, apart from that, it reminds me of what everybody said (in the 80s) they would do in the last moments of their life when they heard the 5 minute warning. "I'd spend it having sex". No, you wouldn't. You'd spend it throwing up and shitting yourself. Also totally incongruous behaviour for a no-one imo. It's just a cheap script.

The first two eps have been rewarding imo but knowing only four are left is really bothering me. 

I think if you spend six and a half years with diverse but related plot threads, starting to bring them all together was bound to bring things to a head quite rapidly but this week's reminded me why a slow burn can work as well. 

I'm assuming now that the dead will lose next week albeit with a lot of main character deaths as even 3 episodes of resolving the throne is ludicrous. 

Both last season and this should have been the usual ten - I know they've probably cost more than the previous ones which is the reason but still. 

Alternatively, we get a massive battle drawn out over the remaining episodes, ( hence the 55 nights of filming), everyone dies, the last episode is the Night King ice fucking Cersei to death as Bronn (sole survivor of the whole kingdom), sneaks away overseas with a few naked slave girls. 

The End. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1