Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thats one of those plot points where I preferred that it was a bit out there tbh, I'd rather have had that scene than not and if they've been buried under a thousand feet of rubble mashed to a pulp it would've been worse for it.

As for Danys end, how so?

Jon Snow turns out be Azor Ahai in the end after all

It just felt a little flat and rushed. Obviously you’re never going to please everyone. The whole thing did tbh, as final episodes of brilliant series often do. 

It was a bit shit really tbh. The writers completely ran out of ideas after Jon murdered his aunt in cold blood. And i don't agree the characters had resolution. The nature of Bran was never explained. And why did Reepicheep just go off exploring? What was the point of the night's watch post zombies and now the free people are free? Greyworms behaviour was implausible too, as was Yaras.

Meh. Breaking Bad beats this as the greatest series of all time as it perfectly completed the protagonists story arcs. 

I basically killed the conversation on last weeks episode by pointing this out but I love how reasonable everyone on here is about the thing, anywhere else the discussion on this series has been an absolute turd as people got so hyped about it before it came on that it couldn't possibly have lived up to expectations.

I wonder if its the downtrodden Newcastle fan side of us all that kept us grounded? No expectations means its hard to be let down.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

And, just like last week, as soon as I start typing that in comes Renton...

I still think GoT was brilliant in its totality, just think the ending was a major let down. I got the impression the writers didn't know where it was heading from the start, so couldn't end it satisfactorily. Its the case 90% of the time, but I'm not under any illusion it was a stellar ending. 

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Needed more tits. 

:D There is definitely a direct correlation between GoT quality and chebbage. 

I'll tell you how they should have ended this. Cut forward to an 80 year old Tyrion, rosy cheeked, getting noshed off by a young whore. One last gasp, eyes close, fade to black. :razz:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Renton said:

It was a bit shit really tbh. The writers completely ran out of ideas after Jon murdered his aunt in cold blood. And i don't agree the characters had resolution. The nature of Bran was never explained. And why did Reepicheep just go off exploring? What was the point of the night's watch post zombies and now the free people are free? Greyworms behaviour was implausible too, as was Yaras.

Meh. Breaking Bad beats this as the greatest series of all time as it perfectly completed the protagonists story arcs. 

Breaking bad was "easy" to end satisfactoryly as it was dealing with two characters whose fate didn't affect the bigger world. Game of thrones, counting those alive before the long night, had to determine the fate of probably twenty main characters and also the fate of the whole world. The results were mixed. 

Reading between the lines, they followed Martin's vision more or less to the letter albeit without his words to follow. I think it proved too much for them and may prove too much for him if he ever gets there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJS said:

Breaking bad was "easy" to end satisfactoryly as it was dealing with two characters whose fate didn't affect the bigger world. Game of thrones, counting those alive before the long night, had to determine the fate of probably twenty main characters and also the fate of the whole world. The results were mixed. 

Reading between the lines, they followed Martin's vision more or less to the letter albeit without his words to follow. I think it proved too much for them and may prove too much for him if he ever gets there. 

Excellent point about BB and GoT. Ultimately perhaps for me the surviving characters just didn't have the emotional strength to pull the ending off. Never mind, still a remarkable series. 

33 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why were Ayra, Bran, Brienne and Ser Davos even at the meeting? 

1 Royal family 

2 knight of the realm 

err....? 

"the onion knight" 

nice to lonely little girls :lol:

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Also, it's been over 24 hours now and no word on The Fish. Can someone check on him?

Give me a second…

1*j-4SCgLJDlYIndBn6QbJZw.gif

… he’s halfway through typing up his reply synopsis. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Why were Ayra, Bran, Brienne and Ser Davos even at the meeting? 

All three powerful figures in the country for different reasons. Arya is the one who ended the threat from the dead. Bran is some spooky nigh-on omniscient wizardy bloke, and Sansa is a leader of the entire North.

Davos is a landed knight, has been hand of a couple of kings.

I'm guessing Brienne is the leader of her house now?

11 hours ago, Renton said:

I still think GoT was brilliant in its totality, just think the ending was a major let down. I got the impression the writers didn't know where it was heading from the start, so couldn't end it satisfactorily. Its the case 90% of the time, but I'm not under any illusion it was a stellar ending. 

I think it's the other way around, I think they knew where it was heading (Arya killing NK, Jon killing Dany then not sitting on the throne, Sansa as Queen of the North, Cersei and Jaime dying together etc.), but had so many strings to tie together, they tied themselves in knots or just cut threads off. After they ran out of books it clearly leapt from a Character driven meander, to a Plot driven railroad. It lost something because of that. Mostly because, in my opinion, there were so many characters whose individual motivations seem to be at loggerheads with the endgame by season/book 5 it could have taken a further 3 or 4 seasons to get a satisfying conclusion.

As someone said, it was always going to be an odd episode because we all knew it was the end. I'm overall happy with the way it panned out, even if I've selfish preferences about how they could have got there.  (Personally think they should have spent a season building up to the threat from the North being extinguished by Arya, then a season after the end of the NK with the forces of the North moving South, sowing more seeds of Dany's descent into madness and conflict with Jon so that when she goes full Barbecue Bonkers on Kings Landing it isn't as jarring). 

As mentioned, it was odd Grey Worm demanding justice for Dany, then fucking off forever without any apparent interest in seeing if that justice is served. Read on twitter that the island he's heading to might be pretty, but there's some plague there that the natives are immune to but any visitors all die within hours. 

Sam breaking out the "Song of Ice and Fire" was fucking cringe mind you.

Also made me chuckle when someone suggested the Unsullied start a house. How're the cockless wonderboys going to manage that then?

• Like 1

there's a reason George RR Martin has taken so long to finish his books. trying up all the loose ends for so many characters in such a sprawling, epic story was never going to be easy, and was never likely to satisfy everyone.

i think, on reflection, the final season was about a 6 or 7 out of 10. not as good as previous seasons but not a total disaster and it provided some memorable episodes, the long night and the last of the starks were both excellent tv, but both the penultimate episode and the finale felt a little rushed and anticlimactic. the finale also stank a bit of hollywood cheese, something which the series on whole has avoided, and lacking in major twists or surprises you would expect from the show. 

38 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there's a reason George RR Martin has taken so long to finish his books. trying up all the loose ends for so many characters in such a sprawling, epic story was never going to be easy, and was never likely to satisfy everyone.

i think, on reflection, the final season was about a 6 or 7 out of 10. not as good as previous seasons but not a total disaster and it provided some memorable episodes, the long night and the last of the starks were both excellent tv, but both the penultimate episode and the finale felt a little rushed and anticlimactic. the finale also stank a bit of hollywood cheese, something which the series on whole has avoided, and lacking in major twists or surprises you would expect from the show. 

Yeah, GoT's meat and drink is subverting expectations. And while some of the character's ended up taking dramatically different positions come the end, the major players were pretty much as expected; Dany dead, Jon alive but not wanting the throne, Jaime & Cersei dead, Tyrion alive, Sansa leading the Northern powerhouse, Arya fucking off for adventures.

Even the way Dany died was a bit... meh. Partly because of Kit Harrington's performance, partly the writing, mostly the speed that they rattled through it all.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't think he will ever finish them because he's rich as fuck and seems to have no motivation.

But then I'm cynical about authors in general :D

Because of the way he writes, I don't think he has it in him to tie it all together. Requires a different approach, imo. I wonder if, after he croaks, someone else will give it a go?

It's like finding the motivation to complete a PhD after you've won the lottery. Arguably worse, because the TV show is already out there. 

I would most like the Bran/3er thing explained. It probably never will be satisfactorily. Like fuck am I reading the books though, even if he does finish them. 

31 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't think he will ever finish them because he's rich as fuck and seems to have no motivation.

But then I'm cynical about authors in general :D

And a seventy-odd year old fat cunt as well. 

(Martin, not you)