Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

Aye that was what I meant. Didn't know the bit about Jaehaerys though. Can't see how that could anything other than a complete guess mind. Pretty sure there's nothing in the books that could give that away.

I'm about 80% through the first book and I get a sense of some hinting about the events just revealed via Ned's fever dreams but I can see there's going to be a gap in narrative between Ned and Bran.

I've also noticed the first season of the TV series is extremely close to the book - I suppose the diversions start as it goes on.

That was excellent. Watched it from start to finish.

I'm not fussed on where the family trees join up and going back generations to see who begat who and who killed who, but I love anything where they consciously use costume, dialogue, music, location, set design etc. to callback to earlier moments as a reference. I would never in a million years pick up on them, but when aficionados point out the care and attention to that sort of detail that goes into things it blows me away. Same as with The Sopranos & Breaking Bad. It's a real cinematic attention to detail, but stretched over years rather than hours it's amazing to me that people connect the dots. Unless the producers give it all away immediately themselves?

I'm not fussed on where the family trees join up and going back generations to see who begat who and who killed who, but I love anything where they consciously use costume, dialogue, music, location, set design etc. to callback to earlier moments as a reference. I would never in a million years pick up on them, but when aficionados point out the care and attention to that sort of detail that goes into things it blows me away. Same as with The Sopranos & Breaking Bad. It's a real cinematic attention to detail, but stretched over years rather than hours it's amazing to me that people connect the dots. Unless the producers give it all away immediately themselves?

I've watched it twice, enjoyed it more the second time when I understood the begatting. It all makes sense.

They take a lot of time over these episodes, the finale one took 2 weeks after the episode to come out, usually they take a week.

They've only done the latest season but they're all good and interesting, worth a watch of the whole lot.

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed it overall but a couple of clunky bits. Have to hope for a load of bled out soldiers next week - mostly collateral to ensure one death. 

I gave up on the books after the second one - I decided I preferred the vision of the show to the novels - probably the only time I've ever thought that. 

I started reading the novels about three seasons into the show.  Since then I've preferred the novels but I think they've done an excellent job with the show even if with some characters (Tyrion and Stannis leap to mind) they've changed them more than I think they should.  

Enjoyed that and the episode sets up a few things for characters heading towards different locations. 

Surely the Stark's will reunite, either Bran going to Winterfell or someone going back to the Wall. Then it'll be the R+L=J reveal to Jon.

Someone will be going from Winterfell to Dragonstone after they get the Raven from Sam (I reckon it'll be Davos or Baelish)

The Hound and Dennis Pennis are heading to Eastwatch by the Sea, as are the Wildlings

Arya is heading south to King's Landing, as is the Red Woman, but the latter might join up with the Hound first 

Euron Greyjoy is heading off to bring a gift back to Cersei, the gift will either be the Horn he has in the books, or a character. Wouldn't be surprised if he's going after Tyrion.

Honestly thought the scenes from the trailer with the Unsullied sneaking into a castle would be Dragonstone. Obviously not.

Edited by The Fish

12 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Was a shame we had to suffer Ed Sheeran singing in the new episode mind.

Aye his little bit added absolutely fuck all for me as well, a distraction and a waste of 5 minutes. Petty I know but I don't like when shows include someone because they're a fan of the show, or someone on the show likes them. It just pulls you out the show for a minute. 

Was he uglied up btw? Not a looker is he. Suppose he's got enough cash not to give a fuck, but still he made the boggle eyed lad from This is England look better than he usually does. 

Edited by Howay

9 hours ago, Howay said:

Aye his little bit added absolutely fuck all for me as well, a distraction and a waste of 5 minutes. Petty I know but I don't like when shows include someone because they're a fan of the show, or someone on the show likes them. It just pulls you out the show for a minute. 

Was he uglied up btw? Not a looker is he. Suppose he's got enough cash not to give a fuck, but still he made the boggle eyed lad from This is England look better than he usually does. 

GoT has form.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

GoT has form.

Aye but it was fine when it was Sigur Ros, they're not usless ginger cunts.

I actually quite liked the scene that he was in.  You only ever see soldiers as vile rapists or whatever but it was good to see them as just ordinary people doing a job and wanting to just go home to their families.  I suppose it didn't really do anything to move the plot on though.

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

Aye but it was fine when it was Sigur Ros, they're not usless ginger cunts.

I actually quite liked the scene that he was in.  You only ever see soldiers as vile rapists or whatever but it was good to see them as just ordinary people doing a job and wanting to just go home to their families.  I suppose it didn't really do anything to move the plot on though.

Aye, if he'd sang his song, said "It's a new one" and then shut the fuck up I wouldn't have cared. But his 2nd line just jarred.

Surprised to see the young lad from This is England pop up, can only imagine he's going to die a sad death.

Just now, The Fish said:

Aye, if he'd sang his song, said "It's a new one" and then shut the fuck up I wouldn't have cared. But his 2nd line just jarred.

Surprised to see the young lad from This is England pop up, can only imagine he's going to die a sad death.

Aye I expect they all will.

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Aye I expect they all will.

See I reckon Arya will decide not to kill them (the whole "be kind to strangers" setup), something/someone causes alarm and she has to murder them all. With poor old fish eyes getting a "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" from Arya as she pushes the sword into his heart. :cry: 

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

See I reckon Arya will decide not to kill them (the whole "be kind to strangers" setup), something/someone causes alarm and she has to murder them all. With poor old fish eyes getting a "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" from Arya as she pushes the sword into his heart. :cry: 

I just assumed she'd leave them but they'd get off'd by someone else.

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He had a second line?

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He had a second line?

"Worst place in the world" or something like that.

50 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I just assumed she'd leave them but they'd get off'd by someone else.

If I was Sheeran, I would have wanted a big death. I'm sure I read/heard that some kid off youtube that did impressions of GoT characters was offed in the scene where the Hound comes across 4 men sitting around a fire. The one where he swings the axe up into a bloke's cock and balls?

This guy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/game-of-thrones-steve-love-cameo-1.3632639

Edited by The Fish

I did think of something that jars slightly with me - they're selling this redemption of the hound quite heavily but has he actually been that much of a cunt compared with the show norm? 

I know there was the farmer thing referred to in this episode and the whole "kidnapping" of Arya (where overall he treat her well) but there was also the bit where he rescued Sansa from the rapist in S1. 

I can't remember that much cuntishness overall. 

42 minutes ago, NJS said:

I did think of something that jars slightly with me - they're selling this redemption of the hound quite heavily but has he actually been that much of a cunt compared with the show norm? 

I know there was the farmer thing referred to in this episode and the whole "kidnapping" of Arya (where overall he treat her well) but there was also the bit where he rescued Sansa from the rapist in S1. 

I can't remember that much cuntishness overall. 

Killed the butcher's boy, makes reference to murdering women before, and that's aside from likely killing lots and lots of men.

The way he casually knocked that man with the cart to the ground and was going to kill him suggests he's done similar before and thought nothing of it.

I'm pretty sure he's done worse in the books too.

So while in comparison to Joffrey and Ramsey he's a saint, he's still a terrible person.