Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

We've still no idea how the characters so many people are annoyed at still being alive are going to contribute to the actual ending of the series, to complain that he whole show was a bust because this one episode didn't pan out the way you may have wanted is, frankly, fucking stupid. 

The plan failed, the plan wasn't executed properly and crumbled on first contact with the wights...which is that thing that happens to plans in military combat, theres a saying about it and everything. the end of the episode was no ones plan, just something Bran and Melisandre knew could happen.

Honestly, I'm glad you're in here Fish saying things like "but if laymen like me can spot huge gaps in logic and feasibility of the plan" because its makes me explaining the path of a dagger through the show or talking about the subtleties of various prophecies not quite the biggest dork in the thread.

And you know what else?!

Spoiler

There would barely have been an episode this week if Fish had his way and the characters he named above died pointlessly in the battle last week.

However, as a piece of criticism, Euron Greyjoy and his magical teleporting fleet is the worst villain they've had in this show since the sandsnakes

I'm not entirely sure about Fish's endgame play for the episode but i still think the battle was fucking stupidly written.

I mean it occurred to me in a conversation with someone else that, had Melisandre not lit the swords of the dothraki, they would have charged into the night with literally no ability to see anything, putting them on par with the viewers at least ;)

And her doing that looked like it was unplanned as far as the battle strategists were concerned.

I could accept the dothraki charging blindly into the night as an act of breaking ranks if there had been evidence through the rest of the show that they have no respect for Jorah or Dany. I could accept Dany flying off into the night pointlessly as an act of grief at watching her army die for no reason if there was evidence through the rest of the show that she was weak and easily rattled.  But it still doesn't explain why a footsoldier army stood in front of the trench intended to slow the enemy down (an enemy that they knew had greater numbers and which they wouldn't be able to stand against conventionally, but which had no ranged weaponry), thus having to sacrifice a huge number of its own to retreat over it and then hide inside the castle walls which any sensible tactician would have had the majority of them inside to begin with.

Am open to 'logic and tactical experts' pointing out why this was a winning concept though :lol: It's not a case of a good plan falling apart as soon as battle starts, its a case of a dumb plan going exactly as you would expect it would as soon as battle starts with the exception of Dany being afk for half of it which was the only bit that seemed to be unforseen.

I feel better now :cuppa:

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

And you know what else?!

Hide contents

There would barely have been an episode this week if Fish had his way and the characters he named above died pointlessly in the battle last week.

However, as a piece of criticism, Euron Greyjoy and his magical teleporting fleet is the worst villain they've had in this show since the sandsnakes

Aye he’s a pathetic character tbh, the fleet is also ridiculous but he’s a complete heap of shite. He’s as ridiculous as whatever it is Cersei did to her lips (maybe it’s just be but it looks like she’s had some shite lip filler or something).

I liked the episode in general but it did seem a weird cut whenever someone was going to mention Jon’s real parentage the camera would cut to another scene, I’d have liked to see the reactions. It’s not even like there was any doubt the characters had been told as they almost immediately showed them passing the info along.

I do feel like an awful lot was packed into that episode but not much of it was given a whole lot of time to hit home. 

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

And you know what else?!

Hide contents

If you look at maps, it's a kick up the arse from King's Landing to Dragonstone compared to other teleportations. 

Kinda fucked up that he was still trying it on with his aunt.

Not sure what happens in the next episode, obviously there’s the battle for King’s Landing. 

I’m guessing we’ll see the return of Tits Greyjoy.

And there’s no way that second dragon is dead.

On 30/04/2019 at 08:42, ewerk said:

Personally I think they use ballistas. [/trying to outnerd Andrew with my tiny bit of GoT knowledge]

Stick that up your hole, Andy.

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And there’s no way that second dragon is dead.

Really? It looked pretty fucked to me.. what makes you think it is? I'm starting to think she'll lose all of them tbh.

Glorious death though.

There was too much made of the fact that the dragon is definitely dead. Plus in the next episode there’s a shot of Euron looking totally surprised. 

Not dead.

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And what’s going on with Jamie? Is he going to be a two time regent slayer?

I reckon he is, it makes so much more sense for it to be him than Tyrion.

Its going to be the same thing as the mad king, there'll be a battle going on, Cersei will want to use the wildfire, Jaime will kill Qyburn to stop him going and eventually kill Cersei

Bit of bluffing plot wise if Jaime does intend to off Cersei - he didn't have to be such a cunt to Brienne in that case - could have just said he was off to finish it. 

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

Bit of bluffing plot wise if Jaime does intend to off Cersei - he didn't have to be such a cunt to Brienne in that case - could have just said he was off to finish it. 

He doesn't intend to, but he'll end up doing it

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

:whistling:

You’ve defeated yourself there, pal. Scorpions are mobile, ballistas are larger and fixed position. Fool. *Chuckles haughtily*

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You’ve defeated yourself there, pal. Scorpions are mobile, ballistas are larger and fixed position. Fool. *Chuckles haughtily*

Ships don't move?

Ships do. The weapon doesn’t.

Would you call the Otobreda 127/54 Compact a portable weapon? *chuckles*

Yes, this is the hill I’ve chosen to die on.

• Haha 1

:lol:

I wouldn't say one of those can be assembled reasonably quickly though, that being a key difference between the ballista and scorpion in the world of GoT.

As per the wiki;

Euron Greyjoy uses several scorpions to kill Rhaegal and destroy the Targaryen fleet in a battle in the waters off Dragonstone. Later, scorpions are seen mounted on the walls of King's Landing.[4]

The difference between a "scorpion" and a "ballista" is that a ballista is far larger, and needs to be constructed on-site - it can't be moved with horses and be assembled reasonably quickly the way a scorpion can.

tenor.gif?itemid=7575134