no deal for Joey

Knackers

Skysports.com understands Newcastle will not be offering star midfielder Joey Barton a new contract at St James' Park.

Barton is entering the final 12 months of his contract at Newcastle this summer and the club were thought to be keen on agreeing an extension with the midfield dynamo.

However, after talks with the player's representatives Newcastle have decided not to offer a new deal to Barton and will allow the former Manchester City man see out his current contract.

Barton's agent, Willie McKay has confirmed Newcastle have decided not to offer the 28-year-old a new deal after holding talks with club officials over his future.

"I had a meeting with Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley and they have indicated Joey will not be offered a new contract," McKay told skysports.com.

"Joey will continue to be a Newcastle player next season and then he will leave on a free transfer at the end of his contract.

"Joey would have loved to have extended his stay at Newcastle, but unfortunately it is not to be.

"Joey has loved his time at Newcastle and nothing will change his commitment for the club next season.

"Obviously we will be monitoring the situation next January to try and find a new club for Joey as he can speak to clubs from abroad in January."

The news comes as a major surprise as Barton has been Newcastle's stand-out performer this season with a number of eye-catching displays and he was named the fans' player of the season this term.

News of Barton's availability is sure to alert a number of clubs at home and abroad with the likes of Hamburg and Olympiakos thought to be keeping tabs on his situation.

Liverpool and Aston Villa are also thought to be keen on Barton and news of his contract situation could see them step up their interest in the player this summer.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good thing that will come out of this is if we sign a proper winger with a good end product, shame as he`s done really well this season. Maybe he/his agent were asking for a long deal/big money otherwise it makes no sense.

See what happens with Nolan now

So that's Barton gone, Carroll gone and Enrique as good as gone. That's 3 of our players of the season along with Nolan and Tiote. And I wouldn't expect the latter to be here for much longer either.

And so it starts..... ;)

C'mon CT, Tiote's Nutz, Toonpack - defend this strategy.

Fucking crazy madness.

McKay is a c*nt clearly trying to get Barton as much money as possible. The fact the club haven't offered a contract confirms the demands were too high.

I say sell anyone who doesn't want to be here or tries to extort the club.

And so it starts..... ;)

Fucking crazy madness.

McKay is a c*nt clearly trying to get Barton as much money as possible. The fact the club haven't offered a contract confirms the demands were too high.

Aye right ;) Joey Barton clearly doesn't want to be here like.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Everytime, every single time I read anything at all that includes the words "Derek Llambias" I feel pissed off. Every time.

Fucking madness. How much to replace a player of his calibre? Short sighted fucking idiots.

I can't understand the logic. 2 years ago when considered a high-earning liability who could command a decent transfer fee, the club stuck by him.

Now he's been a revelation, they don't want to know.

Fucking arseholes. They seriously haven't a clue.

And so it starts..... ;)

Fucking crazy madness.

You know the really idiotic thing is I reckon you actually believe that guff!

more evidence that the club isn't prepared to pay the going rate for top players. barton was rubbish at first but he's been one of the players of the season and has earned a new contract. not that any of that matters to the arseholes that run the club.

clueless. no doubt the usual idiots will defend the strategy

From what I read somewhere we offered 2 year deal with possible 1 year extension and he wanted 3 year deal with 1 year extension. Wages I dont think were an issue. If that is even close to being true, then it is mental and short sighted. Either way, Derek Llambias is a cunt.

Guest alex
"Negotiations" as Arthur Scargill used to say. McKay knows what hes doing.

Aye. Not done and dusted. Could imagine him leaving this summer all the same though.

And so it starts..... ;)

Fucking crazy madness.

jaythesouthermag and Qwertyo are new recruits too ......

more evidence that the club isn't prepared to pay the going rate for top players . barton was rubbish at first but he's been one of the players of the season and has earned a new contract. not that any of that matters to the arseholes that run the club.

clueless. no doubt the usual idiots will defend the strategy

bloody hell.

Thats all I'm saying.....

"Negotiations" as Arthur Scargill used to say. McKay knows what hes doing.

Aye. Not done and dusted. Could imagine him leaving this summer all the same though.

He obviously wants to stay and to be fair to him, he probably has an idea of how long he will play for and wants to see it out here, rather than knowing he has season left in him and be looking for a new club at the end of his career. I cant blame him for pushing for it.