Out of interest....

Howmanheyman

What do you do for a living?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of Brown Ale on tap, using the more literal meaning mind you anyone know anywhere that still does it? I remember you could get it in Sam Jacks about 5 years ago but not seen it on tap anywhere for ages!

Try the Eldon/FM's or whatever it's called now next to the Monument. It used to be on in there. The Strawberry used to have it too. There was one or two others that I can't remember off hand.

Taxi driver.

Nothing compares to the freedom of self employment, particularly when its something trivial like this and not the stress of running your own business. Waking up and deciding whether to work or not depending on many factors is bliss. Being able to take holidays at the drop of a hat is bliss.

Driving scumbags around on a Saturday night is not so bliss.

I do miss the day to day fun of being involved in the running of a national business but could never see myself going back to such a stressful life.

The wife is about to go back to work so I will be daddy day care for the next few years which I did with the six year old and am really looking forward to doing again. It will mean a bit more graft on some evenings but c'est la vie.

My ideal scenario would be to live just off the wifes wages and be a stay at home dad all the time without any work.

I think its very rare to find someone who is truly content with their lot.

IMO the worst job in life is selling (sorry Stevie). I did it for many years and seeing the older guys trying to keep up with life and hit targets was a sad sight to see. Its really a game you need to be out of by your 40's.

Worse job I ever had was working in the lab for vision express. Wanted to kill myself after 2 shifts. Quickly followed by being a waiter/dish washer in a pub. Washing gravy stained pans at midnight on a Saturday is soul destroying when your'e 16.

Taxi driver.

Nothing compares to the freedom of self employment, particularly when its something trivial like this and not the stress of running your own business. Waking up and deciding whether to work or not depending on many factors is bliss. Being able to take holidays at the drop of a hat is bliss.

I do miss the day to day fun of being involved in the running of a national business but could never see myself going back to such a stressful life.

The wife is about to go back to work so I will be daddy day care for the next few years which I did with the six year old and am really looking forward to doing again. It will mean a bit more graft on some evenings but c'est la vie.

My ideal scenario would be to live just off the wifes wages and be a stay at home dad all the time without any work.

IMO the worst job in life is selling (sorry Stevie). I did it for many years and seeing the older guys trying to keep up with life and hit targets was a sad sight to see. Its really a game you need to be out of by your 40's.

I have targets and I've missed them by a mile this month, making me fuckin miserable today to be honest. However, it's not sales in it's purest form, it's more of a service I provide. It's true though in my game you don't get many people over 45, and the ones that have been in it years look worse than David Pleat.

I enjoy the challenge and competition though, I'm master of my own destiny whereas in most professions you're a tiny cog in a big wheel. One day I'll run my own business in this game.

Worse job I ever had was working in the lab for vision express. Wanted to kill myself after 2 shifts. Quickly followed by being a waiter/dish washer in a pub. Washing gravy stained pans at midnight on a Saturday is soul destroying when your'e 16.

Soul destroying at any age. FWIW J69 even though you can be a mug, I think you have a very noble job, it's definitely DOING something with your life in that you're helping people and no one can take that away from you regardless how much Volvic you drink at the match. The way I look at it, you're in a soul destroying job, if you're doing something a computer could do in 30 years time. In our professions the human aspect will always be fundamental.

Office, Senior Project Manager (IT) now typecast as "Oil and Gas", currently ships'n'pipelines etc. previously supply chain systems. Having previously been typecast "utilities".

Nee work in the North East though sadly all that's Government or NHS and they keep to their typecast an all (cunts!!)

Edit - I do like my work though

Edited by Toonpack

Taxi driver.

Best Salesman in our office is 41 and tbh he absolutely kicks arse. It actually benefits him having the experience to deal with rejection handling and people trust him because he is a bit older than the rest of the sales lot!

I work for a housing association which owns Nursing, care, sheltered and supported living homes. I work 3 nights a week in one of our nursing homes which is ok as I'm in charge at night and have no one looking over my shoulder telling me what to do! But of course it has its down sides too, it can be stressful and very tiring. Its a constant worry to make the right decisions because you are responsible for people who are vulnerable and dependent on you.

I also managed one of our Sheltered Schemes for 6 years but decided to go back onto nights because the role of the job changed so much, I was stuck in my pokey little office doing paperwork instead of spending time with my tenants.

Work in IT development for an investment bank. I do a bit of everything in that field and don't mind dealing with users.

I like the job but the place is shite at the moment - mates and other people have left which has narrowed the work and the manager is an arsehole (promoted from a project manager to a level so far beyond his competence its frightening).

Been looking for a new job for a few months but have found that its hard to find "Jack of all trade" type roles like mine - the emphasis is on very expert niches which doesn't appeal to me (and it means if I do go for one of these expert roles I'm not quite up to scratch compared to other applicants).

Will get there though and not quite suicidal yet.

Shame on you Howman, no shipyard/engineering shop/construction option...call yourself a son of the Tyne? ;)

pity the shipyard I'm currently employed in is 300 odd miles away in fuckin Pompey like :D

currently working on the much maligned new aircraft carriers for the RN....around 3000 poor souls from variously Tyneside, Wearside, Teeside, Merseyside and Clydeside all being kept from the dole queues by the grace of the Rt Hon G Brown, who has fixed it for the carriers to be joined up,serviced and operated from his own constituencey in the Kingdom of Fife at Rosyth...gawd bless ya guv'nor :lol:

oh and its a job I suppose...neither good nor bad..

Shame on you Howman, no shipyard/engineering shop/construction option...call yourself a son of the Tyne? ;)

pity the shipyard I'm currently employed in is 300 odd miles away in fuckin Pompey like :icon_lol:

currently working on the much maligned new aircraft carriers for the RN....around 3000 poor souls from variously Tyneside, Wearside, Teeside, Merseyside and Clydeside all being kept from the dole queues by the grace of the Rt Hon G Brown, who has fixed it for the carriers to be joined up,serviced and operated from his own constituencey in the Kingdom of Fife at Rosyth...gawd bless ya guv'nor :lol:

I was going to put Sparky on the poll but I didn't think anyone on here was suitably qualified. :D

Shame on you Howman, no shipyard/engineering shop/construction option...call yourself a son of the Tyne? :D

pity the shipyard I'm currently employed in is 300 odd miles away in fuckin Pompey like :stars:

I was going to put Sparky on the poll but I didn't think anyone on here was suitably qualified. :blush:

ooh touche, chemical ali :icon_lol:

you around next weekend?....in town for a stag do Friday and Saturday...the lads from down here need a guide to find some semi comatose charva birds in the sort of clubs where you wipe your feet on the way out...I know you'll be able to help out there ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

Shame on you Howman, no shipyard/engineering shop/construction option...call yourself a son of the Tyne? :D

pity the shipyard I'm currently employed in is 300 odd miles away in fuckin Pompey like :stars:

I was going to put Sparky on the poll but I didn't think anyone on here was suitably qualified. :blush:

ooh touche, chemical ali :icon_lol:

you around next weekend?....in town for a stag do Friday and Saturday...the lads from down here need a guide to find some semi comatose charva birds in the sort of clubs where you wipe your feet on the way out...I know you'll be able to help out there ;)

This weekend coming I'm grafting. Weekend after will be ok. My clubbing days are back in the time of Sid the Sexist, Red Stripe cans and shirt and pants, nee jeans. If you lot are in fancy dress then it's a niet, comrade!

Office . Design/CAD related in construction industry . Recently got some short-term work back in it after a fuckin torrid 18month spell of redundancy (second time in 10 years)

Thankful just to have some money coming in at moment ! but when I think about it . .

Having worked away with mates with roofing contractor in the summer holidays during my teens and contrasting it with an office-based job and the 'contentment factor' amongst mates who in trades, if I had my time again - would've gone into a.n. apprenticeship/trade at 16. No question .

In an office of sorts.

I'm in the gaming industry. Progression is a problem but I'm content with it.

Ye work for Bet Fred? I wouldn't mind being an on course bookie like.

In an office of sorts.

I'm in the gaming industry. Progression is a problem but I'm content with it.

Work from home, locked in your bedroom moderating the bingo forums. ;)

No wonder your so depressed all the time :lol:

I actually once picked a lad up who did this job. His role was to keep them all chatting and spending money.