It's Yohan Cabaye

Toonpack

NEWCASTLE United have made their first transfer breakthrough of the summer by swooping for Lille’s France international midfielder playmaker Yohan Cabaye.

The Sunday Sun can reveal Cabaye agreed to sign for United on Thursday afternoon, with Newcastle beating competition from Arsenal to land one of the brightest talents in French football.

He plays his last game for the French champions today and, while the deal is not yet finalised, United hope to confirm it in the next 10 days.

In news which will delight the Toon Army, United are now confident of making it a double raid on Lille by clinching a deal for Ivory Coast striker Gervinho.

Having decided to leave Lille, Gervinho has a choice between two clubs – with United one of those sides.

After a week of negativity on Tyneside, the Cabaye deal is a major coup for United.

In a superb piece of business for the club, they landed the Lille star for just 5million thanks to a get- out clause in his contract.

We revealed last week the club were closing in on an international midfielder and that man is Cabaye, a box-to-box midfielder with an eye for goal.

He scored 15 goals for Lille last season and, although he was less prolific, Cabaye was just as impressive this season as the club clinched a sensational league and cup double.

Capped by his country at every level since under-16, Cabaye represents just the sort of player who can move United forward next season.

Having watched him for over a year, they have certainly done their homework.

Newcastle are hoping for more transfer joy in the coming weeks.

Advisors for long-term target Gervinho have been in negotiations with the club this week and United believe they are one of two compelling options for the striker.

Newcastle managed to resolve the wage issue which was holding back the deal – now they just have to hope the prospect of playing European football elsewhere does not count against them.

They will hope the presence of compatriot Cheick Tiote could swing matters in their favour, but despite strong interest in Kevin Gameiro sources in France still believe he is heading for Spain’s La Liga.

Newcastle are the only club to table a bid, but if Valencia register an interest – which they are yet to do – the player would prefer to go there.

Meanwhile, the Sunday Sun understands there is absolutely no interest in either striker Danny Graham or winger Seb Larsson, who was freed by Birmingham last week.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laddy with a lille supporting mate asked him about our potential signings and thoughts on the players, thought it was an interesting enough read from their side of the fence ;

http://www.not606.com/showthread.php/49625...ter-Our-tragets

"Anyway, i see we're close to signing Yohan Cabeye.

I talked to someone this morning, one of my dads friends, who lives in Newcastle but is from France, and he goes back there for the winter to see his family.

He's a Lille supporter, and i asked him about Gervinho, Cabeye and Sow.

These are his exact words -

"Sow is over rated, he benifits so much from Gervinho and Hazard on the wings. Don't get me wrong, he's a great CF and probably good enough to get in the starting 11 of any team below the top 4 in the premier league, but he's just not in the same league as Gervinho and Hazard".

"Cabeye is is potentially a brilliant player, probably better than any of your midfielders, except maybe Cheik Tiote, however he has too many off days for me. He seems to be really hot for about 3 games and then blows out cold for 3 games. He's inconsistant but a good player, one that will score 4-6 goals a season and get around 7/8 assists. He was excellent in 09/10 but not so great this season for some reason"

"Gervinho an amazing player, and i can't believe he would think about going to teams like you and Arsenal, no offense. He should be playing for Real Madrid, he's as good as Di Maria on his day. I hope he stays, and if you manage to buy him for only 10m euros i will be extremely angry with my club, as he's worth double that in my opinion".

I asked him to make a comparison between Gervinho and Ben Arfa, and.... lol... he said "Gervinho would take Ben Arfa, eat him and **** him back out again". So i reckon that message is pretty clear then haha.

I know this is only one guys opinion, but he's an intelligent man and around my dads age, so i'll trust his opinion.

If what he says about Cabeye is true, would you still want to sign him? Also, it's made me even hungrier about the attempt to sign Gervinho, however i still doubt it will happen."

Cabaye just got subbed in the 87th min in their last game. Spent about 2 minutes walking off getting a hug from all his team-mates. Seems hes pretty much ours. Or atleast not Lilles anymore.

Cabaye just got subbed in the 87th min in their last game. Spent about 2 minutes walking off getting a hug from all his team-mates. Seems hes pretty much ours. Or atleast not Lilles anymore.

Really happy about this signing and can only aid our chances of gameiro with two french players now.

If we're going for Gallic flair in this window, can I suggest some English steel wouldn't come amiss in terms of providing that bit of protection they're going to need in order to play their game in the Prem *hint* renew Barton *hint*

Did he have a good game?

He was ok. Started an attack for their 2nd goal. decent passing and all. I was watching a shitty river so I couldnt always see who was on the ball, nor would I judge him on 1 game. Gervinho was easier to spot and seemed quite good too. Hazard was immense though, can see him go pretty much anywhere he wants.

Think we might make it a double sweep for him and Gervinho? now ones gone the other might follow? One can only hope :lol:

If we're in for him, having his mate Tiote here as well as an ex-club teammate (a playmaker, no less, and given Lille's success you can only assume that they worked well in tandem with each other), it certainly won't hurt our chances.

Simply put however, bigger and better clubs will probably go in for Gervinho. And Lille aren't a bad side either, and will be in the Champions League next season. I can't see him coming here.

As always I feel sorry for clubs like Lille. Clubs circle like vultures and pick off the stars that got them to such unexpected success. That's why it's so hard for clubs like Lille to find consistent success unless they've got a wealthy backer who can assist in offering them wages they could get abroad.

@gibfootballshow Andrew Gibney

So I have just read some news stories that claim Rudi Garcia confirmed after the match that Yohan Cabaye has agreed terms with Newcastle