It's Yohan Cabaye

Toonpack

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks to be a canny signing if he can hit the ground running. Like a taller, more attractive Messi :lol:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but has anyone made the connection to Barton's Twitter comments? "Basically they want a younger, better, cheaper player."

'Younger? Yes, he's three years the junior of Barton. Better? A twice-capped France international with more to come in the next couple of weeks, in addition to having helped Lille to the French domestic double this term for the first time in 65 years. And as for being cheaper, that's not too difficult. With reported wages around half that of the former Manchester City man's monstrous £60,000-a-week, the new man ticks just about all the boxes as to what the Newcastle hierarchy told Barton they were looking for. Please meet your replacement, Joey.'

Would love to see Joey stay, but looks like the owners are moving their strategy further forward.

I think its a little daft to use the fact hes got 2 French caps to Joeys 1 England one as proof hes better. We all know the reason why JB has no more caps and its nothing to do with ability.

I think its a little daft to use the fact hes got 2 French caps to Joeys 1 England one as proof hes better. We all know the reason why JB has no more caps and its nothing to do with ability.

It's somewhat spurious to make any comparison until we see the French lad on the park tbh. But if he stays for his contract duration (well down to his last year) I would hope he'll play more games than JB has and thus be "better" for the team.

I fully agree - was just quoting from an article to reinforce the link with Joey's (clearly satirical) Twitter comments and their verdict. The point I'm trying to make is that Joey may have known about Cabaye's arrival and been referring directly to him with those comments.

Very hard to find any justification for how this guy can be better than Joey.

Although he could be better than Nolan is in midfield, as Nolan is not really all that effective as a straightout midfielder.

And Nolan will be playing deeper next year with Ben Arfa playing behind the striker so I don't really see Nolan getting in the side as a first choice if this guy is signed and performs well.

Guest alex

Didn't Nolan mostly play (and was at his most effective) playing as a conventional CM in 4-4-2 last season (albeit with Tiote doing his running)? Rather than playing in the hole behind a single striker.

Didn't Nolan mostly play (and was at his most effective) playing as a conventional CM in 4-4-2 last season (albeit with Tiote doing his running)? Rather than playing in the hole behind a single striker.

not sure on that mate, I don't know the official stats but I am pretty sure he scored much more goals from the position just behind Andy Carroll first half of the season. that said it is hard to compare as most of nolans goals came from AC knock downs which obv we didn't have second half of the season. I personally think he is better in a 4-4-1-1 behind a big man, especially away from home

More or less but I think he is better in the hole and with Ben Arfa playing that role next season probably in a 4-5-1 Nolan will play a bit deeper in midfield, probably.

I don't think he has the legs for that job and its only going to get worse as the years catch up with him.

I could be wrong. But thats the shape I would imagine we are looking at next season with Ben Arfa coming back into the side.

Guest alex
More or less but I think he is better in the hole and with Ben Arfa playing that role next season probably in a 4-5-1 Nolan will play a bit deeper in midfield, probably.

I don't think he has the legs for that job and its only going to get worse as the years catch up with him.

I could be wrong. But thats the shape I would imagine we are looking at next season with Ben Arfa coming back into the side.

I think he's generally best in midfield 3 but he's been able to play in a 2 because of Tiote's workrate. When he was at his best at Bolton he played in a 3 and this season and last season he's done better as one of a two in a 4-4-2. He's not a classic playmaker / no. 10 by any stretch of the imagination. I agree his engine isn't great which is why he needs legs around him. He's never looked comfortable to me when he plays that little bit further forward. I accept it's a subtle difference between a no. 10 and the head of a diamond in a 4-4-2/being the furthest forward in midfield 3 but it's a significant one.

I think you're right in that he may see his opportunities limited next season. That's if Barton stays and Cabaye is a success. I think Nolan's a canny player and a good captain like but I think he's had a bit of a purple patch this year and he'll struggle to maintain that form anyway.

I agree that he is best in a midfield 3 but I think he is best as the attacking point of a midfield 3 but Ben Arfa will be playing that role next season.

I could be wrong, I often am, but from my observations when Nolan has played deeper in the past in an effort to gain control of the midfield against the bigger teams, rather than get into the box as often as possible, he has really struggled and almost been anonymous. Especially in games where we were missing Tiote, but obviously that goes without saying.

Aside from that I think that since Barton has been played wide right for most the season I see this Cabaye fella as a replacement for Nolan rather than a replacement for Barton, which is what alot of journos are reporting, as though Cabaye's signing is the final sign of Barton's imminent departure.

Guest alex
I agree that he is best in a midfield 3 but I think he is best as the attacking point of a midfield 3 but Ben Arfa will be playing that role next season.

I could be wrong, I often am, but from my observations when Nolan has played deeper in the past in an effort to gain control of the midfield against the bigger teams, rather than get into the box as often as possible, he has really struggled and almost been anonymous. Especially in games where we were missing Tiote, but obviously that goes without saying.

Aside from that I think that since Barton has been played wide right for most the season I see this Cabaye fella as a replacement for Nolan rather than a replacement for Barton, which is what alot of journos are reporting, as though Cabaye's signing is the final sign of Barton's imminent departure.

I just think there's a subtle but important difference in being a no. 10 / playmaker and the role Nolan can / does play. Like you though I'm not sure both him and Ben Arfa could be accommodated whether we play 3 or 4 in midfield.

Yeah fair enough.

Regardless if everything works out well, and Nolan holds his form, we could have a very impressive midfield next season.

Big 'if' there however, if supporting Newcastle has taught me anything its that pessimism is the safest mindset.

Guest alex
Yeah fair enough.

Regardless if everything works out well, and Nolan holds his form, we could have a very impressive midfield next season.

Big 'if' there however, if supporting Newcastle has taught me anything its that pessimism is the safest mindset.

Great in August but not so hot come the end of January :lol:

I think he may be a bit more in the know than some guessing Journalist.

From the way he posts it's almost like Christmas Tool doesn't want the deal to happen...

Why would a dirty, stinking mackem want to see us sign decent players?

Suppose the internets the only place you can play the big man. :lol:

Zzzzzzzz

The mackem jibes really get to you I can tell, you've been rumbled, time to return to the SMB with your scruffy brethren.

nolan did way better last season than i thought he would. i thought his legs wouldn't be up fo the premier league - he's a blatant passenger if he plays alongside someone like smith or guthrie in a 442. but fair play to him, he did a great job for us. not just with goals, but his leadership and his use of the ball. he's a bit like shearer was in his latter days though. he needs players prepared to do a lot of running around him.

Surprisingly there was a few games where Nolan covered a fair bit of ground this season. I think he's capable of being more mobile but is too lazy to do it without good motivation.

Whatever the case no side is ever without injury so options are needed in all areas.

I think we will probably play a variant between 4411, 451 and a wide 433.

I'd imagine it would be a 4411 predominantly with Cabaye and Tiote in the middle, Barfa infront of them in that number 10 role with Barton and Jonas out wide. Against bigger teams and team who keep the ball better i could see it as more of a 451 with Barton moving more central with Cabaye and Tiote with Barfa moving out wide.

With the same line up we could also shift into a 433 with Barfa and Jonas further upfield albeit it wider with a solid central midfield three.

Either way we are going to have plenty of options which is always good.

---Krul---

Simpson---S.Taylor---Coloccini---*Enrique

Barton---Cabaye---Tiote---Jonas

-----Ben Arfa-----

---Shola*---

---Krul---

Ben Arfa------Barton---Tiote---Cabaye------Jonas

---Shola*---

---Krul---

---Barton---Tiote---Cabaye---

Ben Arfa----------Shola*----------Jonas

* Shola as it stands but hopefully a much better striker.

* If he stays

I think he's generally best in midfield 3 but he's been able to play in a 2 because of Tiote's workrate. When he was at his best at Bolton he played in a 3 and this season and last season he's done better as one of a two in a 4-4-2. He's not a classic playmaker / no. 10 by any stretch of the imagination. I agree his engine isn't great which is why he needs legs around him. He's never looked comfortable to me when he plays that little bit further forward. I accept it's a subtle difference between a no. 10 and the head of a diamond in a 4-4-2/being the furthest forward in midfield 3 but it's a significant one.

I think you're right in that he may see his opportunities limited next season. That's if Barton stays and Cabaye is a success. I think Nolan's a canny player and a good captain like but I think he's had a bit of a purple patch this year and he'll struggle to maintain that form anyway.

Totally agree, i don't think the role behind the striker suits him, especially at Premiership level, he never had the amount of influence on a game behind Carroll at the start of the season than he did in midfield alongside Tiote, due to the oppositions CB easily picking him up as he was one of the most forward men on the field, but with him playing CM he's alot harder to keep control of and can make better runs without being picked up, that's why he got the goals he did,a nd having Tiote doing the dirty work next to him to cover him when he did go forward also aided his game.

If anyone is going to be sacrificed for Cabaye it is going to be Barton, whether it's him being sold or i wouldnt be surprised if Pardew was forced to not play him, but i don't see a player who will definitely be leaving us being sacrificed for a exceptional captain who looks like he's going to stay tbh

Totally agree, i don't think the role behind the striker suits him, especially at Premiership level, he never had the amount of influence on a game behind Carroll at the start of the season than he did in midfield alongside Tiote, due to the oppositions CB easily picking him up as he was one of the most forward men on the field, but with him playing CM he's alot harder to keep control of and can make better runs without being picked up, that's why he got the goals he did,a nd having Tiote doing the dirty work next to him to cover him when he did go forward also aided his game.

If anyone is going to be sacrificed for Cabaye it is going to be Barton, whether it's him being sold or i wouldnt be surprised if Pardew was forced to not play him, but i don't see a player who will definitely be leaving us being sacrificed for a exceptional captain who looks like he's going to stay tbh

So play Cabaye out on the right? I just dont see Nolan starting much next season.

So play Cabaye out on the right? I just dont see Nolan starting much next season.

I imagine we'll be playing more of a 4-3-3 and having him alongside Nolan and Tiote in the middle