How would you stop Barcelona?

Rob W

:lol::D

I think you might have to go to 3 at the back, man mark the mid field area and welly the ball into the corners a t their end - I'd also like to see how they'd handle Stoke-style throw-ins

Make them run further an have to pass the ball over longer distances

Suggestions???

:D :D

I think you might have to go to 3 at the back, man mark the mid field area and welly the ball into the corners a t their end - I'd also like to see how they'd handle Stoke-style throw-ins

Suggestions???

Even if you press them they can still pass to each other under even the tightest pressure, they seem to be able to manage to pass even when being tackled, unreal at times.

As for the Stoke style throw-ins, you'd have to work out a way to get them to knock the ball out of play for that to work. :lol:

Suggestions???

Do you not think every team that plays them tries that? The Man U players spent 20 minutes running around like mad men last night to close down every ball and then ran out of steam. It's not possible to play at that tempo for 90minutes.

Real played 8-1-1 and got stuffed 5-0 earlier in the season

Aye and won the Cup 1-0 playing the same way. Barcelona's two best performances this season were against the second and third best teams in Europe, which tells you how far in front they are of the rest. I think if they are to overtake them again Man Utd need an entire new midfield.

I don't think replacing 2,3 or even 4 players would make any difference. It's the whole footballing ethos that puts Barca ahead of anyone else. All 10 outfield players can play 1 touch football and pass as well as any player in the Premiership. Can you say the same about Carrick, Rio, Giggs etc.? Not on last nights performance.

I can't comment on the Milan or Ajax teams of old as I never saw them play, but in my lifetime Barcelona are far and away the best/most exciting team I have seen play.

Guardiola has won 10 major trophies in 3 years :lol: That's just ridiculous. And you can probably add the Super Cup and World Club Cup to that in the next few months.

I don't think replacing 2,3 or even 4 players would make any difference. It's the whole footballing ethos that puts Barca ahead of anyone else. All 10 outfield players can play 1 touch football and pass as well as any player in the Premiership. Can you say the same about Carrick, Rio, Giggs etc.? Not on last nights performance.

I can't comment on the Milan or Ajax teams of old as I never saw them play, but in my lifetime Barcelona are far and away the best/most exciting team I have seen play.

Guardiola has won 10 major trophies in 3 years :lol: That's just ridiculous. And you can probably add the Super Cup and World Club Cup to that in the next few months.

I actually think Milan of the early 90's would stop them fwiw. I'd much rather watch Barcelona though-and that's despite Milan having some of the best players I've ever witnessed in absolutely key departments defence and attack, with Barcelona it's all about the midfield tbh and for that reason they'll always be the better advert for football.

I actually think Milan of the early 90's would stop them fwiw. I'd much rather watch Barcelona though-and that's despite Milan having some of the best players I've ever witnessed in absolutely key departments defence and attack, with Barcelona it's all about the midfield tbh and for that reason they'll always be the better advert for football.

Would love to see this team play early 'seventies Ajax. What a game that would be. Take "total football" to another level!

(The usual Ajax line-up circa 1972: Heinz Stuy, Wim Suurbier, Barry Hulshoff, Horst Blankenburg, Ruud Krol, Arie Haan, Johan Neeskens, Gerrie Mühren, Sjaak Swart, Johan Cruijff, Piet Keizer plus the usual twelfth man who was Ruud Suurendonk until 1972 and then Johnny Rep. Best club side I've ever seen)

Edited by StevieRoss

I've said it before I'll say it again, the back five (inc the keeper) of Milan were head and shoulders better than Barcelona. Plus the three Dutchmen would get in no bother. That's 8 out of 11. Barcelona would give them a good game though I don't dispute that.

Would love to see this team play 'seventies Ajax. What a game that would be. Take "total football" to another level!

I think that might become the mythical game that will start to be talked about now tbh, given the comparisons between the two. Especially if Barca wint it again next year with essentially the same team (which they absolutely should). Even if you over scrutinise the fantasy, I dont even think it'd end in stalemate with them cancelling each other out either, as you'd imagine Barca playing it through the middle with Ajax moving it out wide more. You'd basically have to watch it with your pant round your ankles.

I've said it before I'll say it again, the back five (inc the keeper) of Milan were head and shoulders better than Barcelona. Plus the three Dutchmen would get in no bother. That's 8 out of 11. Barcelona would give them a good game though I don't dispute that.

Van Basten would get in any team of the last 40 years. Literally any.

Suggestions???

Snipers

Be defensive, cynical, dirty and hit them on the break. Use little things like sly insults uder your breath about their parentage, or if a player is having marital problems, their wife. Sit on their midfield and as soon as one gets the ball-BANG huge Stuart Pearce style tackle. Do this from the first minute to the last, and you might win. If a player gets sent off, make sure they injure a player in the process.

It is nasty, underhand and unsporting, but sometimes you need to be to win.

Spoken like a true Blackburn fan :lol:

Sam's reign has probably affected me. Mind you, the only time I went to Wembley was the 1995 Charity Shield, and that was brutal. David Batty was on form that day and it was the worst game I've been to, including the times I've watched Bedford Town.

As for Barca, if you attempt to play like them, they'll shit on you, so you have to smash their midfield, hope the ref doesn't fall for their diving and rolling around and get at their defence. Valdes is an inconsistent keeper, and their defenders can be a bit dodgy at times.

You basically need an Ian Rush type striker pressing their defence (who are fallible), two negative CM's and then get it out wide and sling crosses in when/if you get any possession at all.

The telling stat has to be how many long balls (passes) did Barca play and how many did Man U play?

Barca play everything as a 3-5 metre pass, watching Man U's defence constantly pass it backwards to Van Der Sar only for him to kick it up field to a Barca midfielder said it all.