Official Toontastic Prediction Tracker

Happy Face

Im happy for my "if we spend over £10m on one player I'll run round the Strawberry naked" one to go in there.

In addition Im going to predict that we will have a terrible start to the season and be bottom 3 by Christmas.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if ashley wants to put things right at the club and bring success and for us to stay up then hes gonna have to get the big fat checkbook out or he can leave his choice

Im happy for my "if we spend over £10m on one player I'll run round the Strawberry naked" one to go in there.

In addition Im going to predict that we will have a terrible start to the season and be bottom 3 by Christmas.

:gay: Now i can understand the default assumption regarding the board doing the wrong thing but as it stands, we still have the same lads at the club and you've got excellent form for predicting incorrectly how they will do. Anyway as an antidote to that view (however realistic for now):

We've got bids of over £10m in for players in France according to L'Equipe. The chances of them arriving are not clear but i reckon that if its been reported in there that the money is on the table for a player thats good enough to convince me. I'm confident we will spend but fear it will be offset by sales. You'd be safer (or maybe us and the clientele of the strawberry would be safer) if you wagered on no positive net spend.

My prediction is we will start next season stronger than we finished this season in terms of playing staff available. If you think of the difference Tiote made, then if Cabaye is a success, he was the sort player we were missing last season and alongside Tiote could move that central midfield up another notch. If Gervinho comes and Ben Arfa regains his form and fitness, thats as good a midfield as any other team in the league. It would piss all over the Man U midfield from the CL final anyway.

:icon_lol:

We will be in the top 6 by Christmas.

We will be winning rave reviews for our style of play from the media.

We will be top goals scorers in the league by Christmas.

As we finish runners up to Manchester United, Peasepud will predict our forthcoming doom.

Only the M of SMART counts tbh. Its for objective setting not for bookmakers.

Ok.

They need to be M, remember.

Right, so whats your point? Having a better playing staff at the start of next season is perfectly measurable.

Ok.

Right, so whats your point? Having a better playing staff at the start of next season is perfectly measurable.

Try putting it on at the bookies.

Ok.

This is a messageboard, not a bookmakers. Again, whats your point?

Ok.

This is a messageboard, not a bookmakers. Again, whats your point?

It's arguable.

Its also the most important and fundamental metric of the summer, so excluding it from a prediction tracker about the club over the summer seems unecessarily pedantic.

There you go toots.

You're happier when you give in to me, i can tell that.

You were spot on. Pointless being arsey about what goes in and what doesn't. In the words of Keith Barret, it's just abit of fun.

I think if we buy any striker it could be argued the squad is stronger than it was at the end of last season though....and I'd be amazed if we didn't buy a striker.

As we finish runners up to Manchester United, Peasepud will predict our forthcoming doom.

:rolleyes:

Forgot to add we will win silverware next season.

Forgot to add we will win silverware next season.

This doesn't count

:rolleyes: Now i can understand the default assumption regarding the board doing the wrong thing but as it stands, we still have the same lads at the club and you've got excellent form for predicting incorrectly how they will do. Anyway as an antidote to that view (however realistic for now)

Im always happy to be proven wrong on my predictions :D

Unfortunately I have a pretty good track record when it comes to the transfer side of things. Again, I hope Im totally wide of the mark.

Knowing this lot like we do, reports of £12m bids tabled mean nothing, thats not me doubting the French press btw its me doubting the legitimacy of any bid we place as we have a habit of talking big around signings and then failing to deliver. In 2 days time STs go on general sale and the club know they need to convince people to buy. Ive seen no indications of what Lille will accept for him but theres nothing to say that they havent slapped a £15m price tag on and we're purposefully bidding big money but just not quite big enough.

As I said in the N'Zog thread, whether I think hes worth it or not, if we end up paying £12m for a player that the manager has requested who only has a year left on his contract then I will see that as a serious intent to do the right thing. Same here, rumoured tabled bids are meaningless, if its accepted and we convince the player to come then people can start to crow.

You're right though on the net spend front, if we are tabling serious bids of £12m then you can be sure theres at least one big sale in the pipeline.

You're happier when you give in to me, i can tell that.

Hes right though, its not easy to measure that, you can argue that they'll score more goals, win more games, concede less but arguing that a squad is stronger in terms of the ability of the playing staff is difficult. If you mean we'll have more bodies in then yes, measurable, if you replace Barton, Nolan and Enrique with 6 championship players then are we stronger? unlikely, unless the FA relax the rules and let us play 6-6-3.

I reckon there is a good chance that Barton will stay and see out his contract and when the Nolan bid was rejected, under normal regulations it means West Ham have not even spoken to him yet. Agents let things known to the press to put pressure on the situation. If we only lose one of them, I guess we'll be lucky. As I've said a few times I think there is money on the table and we will see new faces, it's who we lose in the process which will have a bearing on next season's realistic expectations. I can't see them spending the money on e.g Gameiro, Gervinho and N'zogbia as that's never going to happen. Unless Enrique for 12m and Nolan for 5m funds it. All this makes sense but as you rightly are keen to stress there is no real evidence that they will do the right thing and adopt even this limited mindset. We could see those exits and our targets don't want to come and we end up with shit. Everything is possible at this point.

What do I think will happen? First of all, in retrospect I can see now why they sold Carroll. If they wanted to reinvigorate the squad and sell some key players, they would need the capital to do it. Also, without this capital our only option would have been to wait until the end of the window to pick up better deals. Having this money allows us to control the dynamics of a deal by moving early on prospects with very solid offers. The Gervinho deal, which even at that price has the potential to make money in the future, would not be even under consideration. Replacing e.g Barton with him would not have been an option. It's quite a good one when you think about it though.

So it makes sense that they are looking to sell and buy to evolve the squad with a good wedge of capital to getthem moving. It's ridiculously optimistic I know but 2 sales could give us over £55m to play with.

As for the prediction, it will at least give us plenty to discuss if there are that many changes. I don't see 3 leaving and 6 championship players coming in though. Cabaye already means that's not going to happen.

Edited by ChezGiven

I reckon there is a good chance that Barton will stay and see out his contract and when the Nolan bid was rejected, under normal regulations it means West Ham have not even spoken to him yet. Agents let things known to the press to put pressure on the situation. If we only lose one of them, I guess we'll be lucky. As I've said a few times I think there is money on the table and we will see new faces, it's who we lose in the process which will have a bearing on next season's realistic expectations. I can't see them spending the money on e.g Gameiro, Gervinho and N'zogbia as that's never going to happen. Unless Enrique for 12m and Nolan for 5m funds it. All this makes sense but as you rightly are keen to stress there is no real evidence that they will do the right thing and adopt even this limited mindset. We could see those exits and our targets don't want to come and we end up with shit. Everything is possible at this point.

What do I think will happen? First of all, in retrospect I can see now why they sold Carroll. If they wanted to reinvigorate the squad and sell some key players, they would need the capital to do it. Also, without this capital our only option would have been to wait until the end of the window to pick up better deals. Having this money allows us to control the dynamics of a deal by moving early on prospects with very solid offers. The Gervinho deal, which even at that price has the potential to make money in the future, would not be even under consideration. Replacing e.g Barton with him would not have been an option. It's quite a good one when you think about it though.

So it makes sense that they are looking to sell and buy to evolve the squad with a good wedge of capital to getthem moving. It's ridiculously optimistic I know but 2 sales could give us over £55m to play with.

As for the prediction, it will at least give us plenty to discuss if there are that many changes. I don't see 3 leaving and 6 championship players coming in though. Cabaye already means that's not going to happen.

Good post. Pretty much spot on in the explanation on why they sold carroll and how they could intend to use it.

It definitely makes sense.

I think we will keep both Barton and Nolan and get about 10mil for Enrique. That there gives us substantial weight in which to "reinvigorate" the squad.

Good post. Pretty much spot on in the explanation on why they sold carroll and how they could intend to use it.

It definitely makes sense.

I think we will keep both Barton and Nolan and get about 10mil for Enrique. That there gives us substantial weight in which to "reinvigorate" the squad.

:rolleyes:

29/05/11 - 13th @ final day

Gejon

04/06/11 - I will eat my own bollocks if Nolan signs for West Ham this summer

PaulR9

04/06/11 - Nolan has agreed a deal to join West Ham

Youtube?

29/05/11 - 13th @ final day

Gejon

04/06/11 - I will eat my own bollocks if Nolan signs for West Ham this summer

PaulR9

04/06/11 - Nolan has agreed a deal to join West Ham

Youtube?

Im torn between that being a good idea and just plain wrong!