The team of your lifetime

Tooj

As there has lot of debate recently Messi and the current Barcelona team and their place amongst the footballing greats - it got me thinking about who I would include in the team of my lifetime (I'm 26).

I've gone for a 4-3-3 formation, and tried to field a balanced eleven, as more often than not when these kind of teams are picked, people tend to go for individuals and not try and field a balanced team.

125480_Dream_Team.jpg

Feel free to pick holes in it, as well as posting your own version. Especially as quite a few people on here are older than me. :lol:

125533_Dream_Team.jpg

I've gone for a balanced attacking side who would play a high line. In terms of NUFC players, there's only Shearer and McCracken, because I've tried to avoid bias. McCracken was a fullback who played for us before the offside laws changed (not sure if we won the league while he was playing for us). According to some historians, he was so adept at exploiting the offside rules that they changed them, as there were a ridiculous amount of offsides during the games he played in. So he would catch everyone offside, and then he could play it to Beckenbauer who would bring the ball out and play it to the attackers. As soon as that set of attacking players receives the ball it's game over.

I was born in 1988. Other than McCracken, who died in 1979, all the players have been alive during the period from 88-the present day. I thought I'd cheat and include McCracken because he was one of our all-time greatest players and a significant figure in the history of the game.

This is from his wiki entry, I just looked it up:

"Billy McCracken played for the English club Newcastle United from 1904 to 1924, helping them win three League titles and the FA Cup. McCracken was so adept at catching the opposing teams forwards offside that he forced a change in the rules of the game.[1]

In total he played 432 games for Newcastle, scoring 88 goals. After leaving Newcastle he went on to become Hull City manager in 1923 and he took them to the FA Cup semi-final in 1930. He left the club a year later.

He later had a short term in charge of Gateshead F.C., before managing Millwall F.C. from 1933–1936. He later went on to manage the now defunct Aldershot F.C."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McCracken

125504_Everton.jpg

Mines.

i like it, but where's the water carrier in midfield. and where are the full backs?

Johnny2J - should this be collectively the best 11 players we've seen in our lifetimes or the best 11 in a sensible formation? perhaps i'm letting tactics and formation spoil the notion of a fantasy team

It's too hard to do, but for a few random name checks, (in no particular order other than Maradona);

Maradona (Most gifted player I've ever seen in an era where he got kicked up a height).

Van Basten

Gullit

Matthaus

Brehme

Baresi

Maldini

Beardsley

Ronaldo

Romario

Stoichkov

Zidane

Gascoigne

Beckham*

Was tempted to put in the likes of Socretes, Zico and Poalo Rossi but I was too young to really appreciate them.

*That's a joke by the way. :lol:

George Best doesn't seem to make it into many peoples' greatest teams but he'd be in mine. Platini too.

Best had retired when I first started watching football and Platini too.

-------------Karelse

Hall-Kizinishvilli-Onyewu-Quinn

Brady-Kerr-Johnsen-Georgiadis

--------Huckerby--Saha

Subs : Kuqi, Nacho, Fumaca, Moore, Perez, Rush

125504_Everton.jpg

Mines.

I'm the same age so I'll just have that and avoid a tongue lashing.

Not happy there's no room for Micky Quinn there though.

That would be mine but swapping giggs out for Messi and its done. Yeah giggs has been consitently very good over a long career but he never has been anywhere close to the quality of messi

:lol:

-------------Karelse

Hall-Kizinishvilli-Onyewu-Quinn

Brady-Kerr-Johnsen-Georgiadis

--------Huckerby--Saha

Subs : Kuqi, Nacho, Fumaca, Moore, Perez, Rush

you missed out Franz Carr

Edited by GeeForce

125504_Everton.jpg

Mines.

I'm the same age so I'll just have that and avoid a tongue lashing.

Not happy there's no room for Micky Quinn there though.

That would be mine but swapping giggs out for Messi and its done. Yeah giggs has been consitently very good over a long career but he never has been anywhere close to the quality of messi

I'd replace giggs with Ronaldinho

and as much as I would like to shoe horn in rivaldo, he's going to have to sit on the bench along side Baggio