Kevin Nolan signs for West Ham United

PaulR9

What made it stink more was the appointment of the non-entity pardew rather than a manger with a good track record.

There has to be more to it than that.

Especially when there were rumours about Pardew being the next manager a good while before he got the job.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbf he was lucky he scored so many goals for us or we would have been saying the same. In fact we were after his first few games

Best natural finisher the club has had since Micky Quinn.

Micky Quinn was a class goalscorer. If he had had the pace and mobility outside the box, he would have won lots of England caps. He was a natural goalscorer and one of the best I've seen play for Newcastle.

Tbf he was lucky he scored so many goals for us or we would have been saying the same. In fact we were after his first few games

Micky Quinn was a class goalscorer. If he had had the pace and mobility outside the box, he would have won lots of England caps. He was a natural goalscorer and one of the best I've seen play for Newcastle.

Fast as fuck over the first half yard :icon_lol:

There's a goal on one of Jonny's vids away at Swindon about 90, he's one on one with the keeper 25 yards out, most strikers would've taken it right in, but he just thought fuck it, and blasts right in the top corner without a second thought from that distance. Class finisher, but just a fat bastard at the same time, if he was trained like they are today he'd have been absolutely top class.

There's a goal on one of Jonny's vids away at Swindon about 90, he's one on one with the keeper 25 yards out, most strikers would've taken it right in, but he just thought fuck it, and blasts right in the top corner without a second thought from that distance. Class finisher, but just a fat bastard at the same time, if he was trained like they are today he'd have been absolutely top class.

Thought KK got rid of him too sharp at the time tbh. Same with Kelly. Suppose they turned out to be correct decisions though. Quinn had a canny good record at Coventry too iirc.

Aye, he done well when he went to Coventry.

He's still bitter as fuck with Keegan for getting rid like.

He scored 4 on his debut for us against Leeds, and one of his first games for Coventry he scored four against Liverpool too.

Quinny was class, gave his all too...played on one leg at Wolves when Kevin Scott got the winner, smashed his knee against a post completely knacking his season (and eventually his Newcastle career) at Pompey...but for me he wasnt in the same class as a finisher as Andy Cole during his time here. Forget his Man Utd troubles with Cantona and all his subsequent success there, at Newcastle he was phenomonal...55 goals in 70 games. If Keegan and Hall transformed the club, then Andy Cole was responsible on the pitch for putting their ambitions into effect more than any other player iyam.And in turn he's chiefly reponsible how we ourselves began to perceive the club and in turn how the rest of the country did. Can't think of another player we could have conceiveably attracted in 1993 who couldve acheived the same.

Edited by PaddockLad

Quinny was class, gave his all too...played on one leg at Wolves when Kevin Scott got the winner, smashed his knee against a post completely knacking his season (and eventually his Newcastle career) at Pompey...but for me he wasnt in the same class as a finisher as Andy Cole during his time here. Forget his Man Utd troubles with Cantona and all his subsequent success there, at Newcastle he was phenomonal...55 goals in 70 games. If Keegan and Hall transformed the club, then Andy Cole was responsible on the pitch for putting their ambitions into effect more than any other player iyam.And in turn he's chiefly reponsible how we ourselves began to perceive the club and in turn how the rest of the country did. Can't think of another player we could have conceiveably attracted in 1993 who couldve acheived the same.

Cole was so quick he got more chances than any player I've seen at the toon, but he used to miss some sitters. I remember we played Birmingham at home in our promotion season and he missed so many chances he got racially abused. Cole was a decent finisher but missed some howlers, whereas Quinn seemed to score every time he got one, he could place them, blast them, head them he was very stylish in the box. Cole was the most exciting out and out striker we've had since I watched the toon though.

I'd class Quinn as a more natural finisher. Cole had a purple patch where everything seemed to go in whilst here, remember that one against Chelsea (Kharine was in goal I think) where he was edge of the box and just swung at it left peg? Straight into the top corner like a rocket. Cole's movement was absolutely superb though.

And Les isn't a sir because he was crap.

Quinny's book is a good read, amusing but fuck his ego is twice as big as his arse.

And as for him and KK, if you ever want an example of what happens to a player if you cross KK, Quinny being dropped to the bench and then punted out the exit for opening his gob in the media was classic Keegan.

Quinny's book is a good read, amusing but fuck his ego is twice as big as his arse.

And as for him and KK, if you ever want an example of what happens to a player if you cross KK, Quinny being dropped to the bench and then punted out the exit for opening his gob in the media was classic Keegan.

aye its a good read....what Quinny and his Pompey teamates got up to was like the worst piss head sunday league team...they went to Jersey on a pre season tour and within 3 hours of getting there the authoroties were approaching the manager Alan Ball, sat having a quiet meal in a restaraunt, saying that they wanted the team to leave island that night! :icon_lol:

I'd class Quinn as a more natural finisher. Cole had a purple patch where everything seemed to go in whilst here, remember that one against Chelsea (Kharine was in goal I think) where he was edge of the box and just swung at it left peg? Straight into the top corner like a rocket. Cole's movement was absolutely superb though.

Keegan wanted a team with more movement and pace, Quinn wasn't a "rounded" :icon_lol: enough player for him [yes, not the best word I suppose]. Subsequent events showed he was right to put together the type of team he did.

I'm sure he knew he had a good goalscorer though, but I was surprised he didn't do better for himself than Coventry.

Anyway, his book "who ate all the pies" is a good read, and he's a top bloke, with lots of time for Newcastle. I think he quite often refers to NUFC as "us", not bad for a scouser.

Quinn wouldn't have been the same player without the weight; wouldn't have scored half as many. He had a balance that other strikers don't have, you couldn't shift him if Jonah Lomu ran full pelt into him it'd be like a slight nudge because of the gravitational pull. This allowed him to keep his aim steady and do the business.

Wouldn't class him as a great finisher though.

I suppose but fuck what would we do for a player almost as good as him in front of goal and for the team?

Don't get me wrong, I love the bloke.

• 1 month later...
Now that it's official I feel canny sad he's gone. I'd go as far to say he's the best natural finisher we've seen since Shearer retired, he'd be a decent target man in his own right in my view, and I'd give his contribution at the toon 8 out of 10. Sad day to be honest, good servant, and when you look at his 17 goals and leadership qualities, he's going to be a big miss.

Steve Brenner asked me to write a few paragraphs yesterday for the sun donno if he put it in, but these are my thoughts on his two years...

Kevin Nolan has been an inspirational figure at Newcastle United. Much like Chris Hughton he went in to the Championship season with many question marks over his ability and position at the club. Although Nicky Butt was club, captain it became obvious early doors as to who the true figure of inspiration was at the club. His 17 goals from midfield that season don't even begin to cover what he did for the club that season. He more than anyone galvanised the players, and gave the club something it hadn't had for a decade team spirit!

When he was formally given the captaincy at the start of last season, he played a leading role on the pitch, and was a passionate opinionated voice off it. Mike Ashley doesn't want that type of figure at the club, and that is why this whole decision has been removed from Alan Pardew's hands. It is a disgrace how a guy who is more central to NUFC's rise over the last two years than anyone, can be dismissed as easily as this, when he dies he will long be remembered in Newcastle folklore for his hattrick against Sunderland, but more than anything, certainly in terms of our recent history, it was refreshing thing to have someone on the pitch who was a "good lad", who goes home to Liverpool to run his Sunday league team on a weekend, who goes for a pint with his fatha. A real sad day for NUFC, in no way surprising, but the gap his departure will leave, creates far, far more than just a gap to fill in midfield.

Not picking this post out for any other reason than it was the first one i found which i thought would provide an interesting contrast to the thoughts of West Ham fans this week.

this guy is our weak link, and has been all season ............. this isnt cricket, where you can carry a player for his captaincy skills .......and sadly, you get the impression that hes undroppable in BFS eyes :D

Couldn't agree with you more. Not once did I see him gee up the squad. Captaincy skills ? Maybe in the dressing room but certainly not on the pitch - leaders normally lead !!

He's not fit is? Or has he always been this slow and lazy?

Of the games I have seen him live - Cardiff, Leeds, Millwall, Portsmouth, Peterborough and Ipswich he has been quite bad in all of those; looked miles off the pace and like he was playing in no mans land.

Keeps berating other players when he is making the mistakes.

How is it possible though? Hes played every minute of every game?! If its not injury related there should be no excuses for not being physically fit enough

2 goals in 9 to be fair which isnt bad.

He was no where to be seen again. How many more games are we going to give him....

I did a 15 minute 'Nolan watch' tonight following some of the comments on this thread. I was surprised at how immobile he was and how he spent much of that time walking around the pitch.

Long and short of it is if this bloke isn't scoring goals he is contributing nothing.

Granted he is a great captain but he is a passenger at the moment.

Without commenting on his footballing ability, since when did shouting at others, pointing, kicking advertising hoardings or mimicking the opposition keeper, make you a good captain and an inspirational leader?

Steve Potts did none of the above. What he did do, was lead by example. Perhaps something that Nolan should start concentrating on...?

He has been rubbish for us this season, certainly looks fat and unable to control a football.