Kevin Nolan signs for West Ham United

PaulR9

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to prove that all this club is about is making money in the transfer window.

Out of interest has anyone ever said that?

Not sure, i can never really work out what people are actually saying. Whats your take on it?

Does it matter? I didn't make the comment, you did. Wondering why?

Interesting logic there, Chez.

Nolan did a great job for us in his last 2 seasons, but since he's having a poor season now have the board been vindicated for signing him?

I think his leaving the club was for financial reasons first and foremost, as we're a selling club now. Thankfully we haven't missed him as the team spirit appears to be intact and Colo is doing an acceptable job as captain so far.

Hard to say whether Nolan would be having a more productive season had he stayed - he'd definitely have more chances to tuck away goals as Wet Sham are a very average side with a negative anti-football 'tactician' at the helm.

Just goes to prove that all this club is about is making money in the transfer window.

I still think it is, everything good that's happened (in terms of Ashley's input) has been luck more than judgement.

Nolan will settle down and score 15 goals this season, fans are fickle wanks, they were saying he was great a few games ago.

I still think it is, everything good that's happened (in terms of Ashley's input) has been luck more than judgement.

Nolan will settle down and score 15 goals this season, fans are fickle wanks, they were saying he was great a few games ago.

I think the cockneys have been saying he's been shit since the Cardiff game.

Not sure, i can never really work out what people are actually saying. Whats your take on it?

Does it matter? I didn't make the comment, you did. Wondering why?

I was being sarcastic and if you want my opinion on something, read my posts, i'm not exactly shy with them.

mediocre player playing for poor time goes to better team = plays better and 'shines' in better team.

mediocre player playing for better team goes to worse team = plays worse and is instantly 'spotlighted' as being 'shite'.

We've all seen this time and time again over the years with players. We only have to look 13 miles down the road to look at O'Shea and the orange-haired kid; both were playing for a magnificent footballing side where their 'faults' weren't exposed week in, week out. Now they are under the microscope - big time.

I saw Nolan in the flesh at Peterborough the last time I was over and fuck me I thought he was slow then. However he was also a class footballer and didn't lack for effort, so surprised at some of those comments. I wonder if Fat Sam's indulging in the long ball stuff and expecting Nolan to skip about the pitch onto knock downs, or maybe everything isn't rosy in hippo head's garden

Aye, McFaul.

;)

When I saw his post I knew that was coming.

Obviously knew you were being sarcastic, but as it's not your usual style thought I'd give you a good natured hard time about it. The club is obviously not adverse to making a profit in the window, but don't think anyone has suggested that it's their central motivation.

the thing about nolan is you kind of have to build your team around him. he's a bit like shearer was in his latter days for us in that his lack of mobility limits his play, bu you can negate what he lacks in the engine department by playing to his strengths. west ham should play with one striker, pack the central midfield behind him or use a deep lying midfielder like tiote who can do a lot of his running. then he'll provide valuable goals, assists and leadership qualities. i reckon he's possibly the best finisher we had since shearer. and he definitwly has the knack of popping up in the right area.

i was saying the same things most of those hammers fans are saying now when he first signed for us. they should come around to him eventually. we did.

indeed, a few games is only that and nothing more.

While you know my stance re Ashley. There is a saying that it's funny how the more successful you are the luckier you are said to be.

At the moment it's easy for people to point and say MA method while bucking the trend, is working.

Long term we all (I think) know it can't. By this I'm referring to a small squad that hasn't been tested across the whole spectrum of a season as injuries hit.

On Nolan I'm not totally convinced where the blame lay. Perhaps they knew cabaye would offer more? But if Nolan wanted to stay as bad as he did then I think he could have (taken a shorter contract offer). Course we have also heard the club went back on a deal. That I could believe as DL seems the seedy slimy untrustworthy spineless type.

Not sure about the selling club tag. Depends on the definition. I think we're more willing to sell given the right offer but I'm not sure we're necessarily looking to offload players for a profit at the first offering.

I wonder what people think the bad deals were recently? Who did we let go too cheaply.

Jose wanted away and fucked the club over imo. Carroll was a mental offer. Nolan is tricky as we look better now without? Barton I'd liked to have stayed and I think that one for me was wrong, but that wasn't really about selling as we let him go (stupidly) on a free.

The key would be accepting mediocre offers for tiote, cabaye, colo etc returning a slight profit at the detriment to the first team. But if a stupid offer came in, whereas spurs showed they can dig in and keep their best players (Modric) I don't think we would. Not sure about the mediocre offer.

I think selling Nolan was inspired and contrasts with the sort of short-sighted unimaginative management thats endemic in this country, perfectly exemplified by Shearer's initial belief that Michael Owen would save us from the drop, Allardyce signing Alan Smith, Bruce signing Gardner etc etc etc.

While you know my stance re Ashley. There is a saying that it's funny how the more successful you are the luckier you are said to be.

At the moment it's easy for people to point and say MA method while bucking the trend, is working.

Long term we all (I think) know it can't . By this I'm referring to a small squad that hasn't been tested across the whole spectrum of a season as injuries hit.

that is correct, but there a few people who appear not to agree......

Difficult to tell if some of them are blind, or impossibly and stupidly optimistic