Kevin Nolan signs for West Ham United

PaulR9

I've had enough of this. He is just over half way through his contract, he has 2 year to run or 40% of the total length of the contract, yet is meant to be 'in limbo'. With 2 years left there is no way he is in limbo, he's just facing the same situation every average footballer faces.

At some point this stops being the club and starts being the players and the agents.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Dont shoot the messenger but I have been told by a very reliable source Nolan has turned down a "derisory" contract offer from Newcastle and has agreed a deal to join West Ham, yes WEST HAM!

As I said dont shoot the messenger, You may be sceptical as I was but time will tell.

Lee Ryder saying West Ham have offered £3 mill for him today.

Guest alex

Agreed, maybe even £1m extra. We signed him for £4m and because he was a panic buy in the wake of Barton's injury / would've been on decent money at Bolton he'll be on c. £40k a week. Looking at it purely from a financial pov, they may well think now is the time to cash in. Probably right too although I'd worry about his being properly replaced (that's the real issue as with most of the other players Ashley has sold).

Personally, I think Nolan has never been in Pardews long term plans. Sure he has done wonders this season and been a real star. When you look at all the comments Pardew has made about Ben Arfa, playing him in the hole, etc. Then you can see Nolan isnt in the long term plan. I said in my predictions that Nolan wouldnt be in our first team by November and it might not even be this time come August.

£5mil and he is gone. Pardew wants to play fast and free flowing football. Nolan doesnt fit in to that style.

"Nolan, for his part, felt the deal on the table didn’t reflect his contribution to the cause over the past couple of seasons."

You see this is the problem, the player thinks he should be rewarded in the future for his past performances. His salary was his reward for the efforts he made over the last 2 seasons, you dont get rewarded twice for the same thing.

"Nolan, for his part, felt the deal on the table didn’t reflect his contribution to the cause over the past couple of seasons."

You see this is the problem, the player thinks he should be rewarded in the future for his past performances. His salary was his reward for the efforts he made over the last 2 seasons, you dont get rewarded twice for the same thing.

I totally and utterly disagree.

Would you go into pay negotiations at work and ignore the fact you've worked way above the expected? If so, what would you use as your argument for being better paid? that you may work even harder next year?

On the opposite side of the table, if you were the employer then you'd be using their past performance to decide future pay. If, as a manager a member of staff came in and said "I want a pay rise", would you ignore the fact theyve consistently missed every target, spent six months on the sick and when they were here spent the time on some NUFC message board?

That after all is how we would have decided what he was worth paying at the start of his contract ie we'd take into account the level of performance at Bolton and decide how much we that level was worth to us.

Under your logic we might as well renew Smith on better terms as we'll not take into account the fact hes been a total and utter waste of air.

To compare the wages and bonuses paid to employees of a normal company (where wages represent normally < 20% of turnover and are split between far more people) to a premiership footballer is daft though. He was rewareded handsomely for his contributions, the wage he received in the championship would have been miles above the market rate and again 'at' the market rate last year. The wages received are so high that they have already built in the reward for his contribution. If he wasnt making significant contributions to the team and winning us points, he would have been massively 'over'paid for the last 2 seasons.

He was paid to score goals and be captain of a club whose aim was to survive in the premiership. He performed adequatley by being actually just about worth the money being paid to him. Thats a bit of a rarity in football, a player actually just deserving what he gets paid. He has been paid 3% of the club's revenue as thats the level of performance expected of him. You dont pay someone a huge wage because you expect huge performance and then pay them again when they deliver what you paid them so much for in the first place. Seems obvious to me, dont try and confuse it with normal office life.

And their wages are only relative to the clubs need for the player at that moment in time, which just happens to be the stumbling block in this case.

Good old supply and demand.

Supply and demand has nowt to do with it. Nolans age is the only stumbling block.

And their wages are only relative to the clubs need for the player at that moment in time, which just happens to be the stumbling block in this case.

Good old supply and demand.

Supply and demand has nowt to do with it. Nolans age is the only stumbling block.

Twas my point. What he can supply over 4 or 5 years aint in demand.