Smith to West Ham?

Christmas Tree

Sunday Sun

NEWLY-INSTALLED West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is ready to raid former club Newcastle – and take Toon vice captain Alan Smith to Upton Park.

Allardyce has been charged with rebuilding the Hammers following their limp relegation last season and wants to add steel to a squad that made a habit of surrendering leads last season.

And he sees former charge Smith as the ideal man to do it.

Allardyce, of course, was the boss who spent £6million on Smith back in 2007, so he is more than aware of what he can bring to his ailing Hammers squad.

Big Sam tried to take him to Blackburn on two separate occasions, only for Smith to knock back the move.

But he may have more success this time as Smith ponders his options for the coming campaign.

The combative midfielder knows all about what it takes to succeed in the second tier, having played a pivotal part in Newcastle’s dominance of the Championship two seasons ago and Allardyce hopes the offer of first-team football will be enough to turn his head.

Smith has seen his chances of first-team football hit by the success of Cheick Tiote – along with a serious ankle injury suffered in the Tyne-Wear derby back in January – and despite his northern roots he is understood to be receptive to the chance to move to a London club.

Newcastle would look for around £1million for the midfielder, who has a year left on his contract.

In an ideal world, Alan Pardew would not want to lose a player of Smith’s experience.

He believes the tee-total midfielder is a model professional and gave short shrift to talk that his latest injury would spell the end of his career.

But with the imminent signing of Lille’s box-to-box midfielder Yohan Cabaye and the targeting of one more addition in that department, Smith may force the issue by pushing for more first-team football.

Edited by Christmas Tree

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith isn't a holding player and never has been. He can't hold onto to possession and half the time he looks like he's asleep, we paid the price for Ferguson's decision to try him out in midfield. A good game for Smith is when he doesn't do something utterly calamitous and you don't notice him!

At 3-1 up against West Brom when Smith came on I said West Brom will get something from the game and I wasn't greatly surprised when they did.

On £60k a week Smith is a drain on the resources and I might almost forgive Fat Sam his misdemeanours if he takes Smith away.

Will be a brilliant day when this shit mug is sold. I'd prefer him to go to his "boyhood dream club" Glasgow Rangers, and be shown up as not even good enough for the SPL. He proves the notion that you don't have to be talented to make an obscene amount of money from football.

Was a joke signing from the beginning. £6M for a striker that cannot score or pick a pass or tackle, £60K a week as well? :gay:

Thats not hindsight, I thought it was a terrible waste of money at the time and he's even surpassed what I thought of him before he signed. A model pro? I'd wash the tops, make the tea and sort out the half time oranges if someone was paying me £60 grand a week!!!

Was a joke signing from the beginning. £6M for a striker that cannot score or pick a pass or tackle, £60K a week as well? :gay:

Thats not hindsight, I thought it was a terrible waste of money at the time and he's even surpassed what I thought of him before he signed. A model pro? I'd wash the tops, make the tea and sort out the half time oranges if someone was paying me £60 grand a week!!!

yeah, i was gutted when we signed him like, particularly when it became clear he'd 'reinvented' himself as a midifelder. what a waste of money.

If West Ham are serious about getting promoted, which they will be. Smith proved last year that he wasn't good enough to be starting for a team looking to get promoted from that league.

Is this going to happen though? I remember Smith was moving to Blackburn all the time Sam was at Ewood Park, and thankfully it never came about. I'd love it to be true though, as he is shit, always has been, and hopefully it'll sting the dildo twins like the McCarthy transfer.

I'm sure at the time we had an option of either Smith or Elano. The fact that Allardyce chose Smith, says everything about his footballing philosophies.

Here, did Pardew sign Dyer for West Ham. I know a lot of people don't like Dyer, but I'm not ignorant enough to see that on his day he's one of THE best players we've had in my life time. I saw him a few times last season for West Ham and he was mint really good. He's 32 and now out of contract, as back up I'd say look Kieron we'll give you £30k per game. Looks like Boro are ganna get him though.

Here, did Pardew sign Dyer for West Ham. I know a lot of people don't like Dyer, but I'm not ignorant enough to see that on his day he's one of THE best players we've had in my life time. I saw him a few times last season for West Ham and he was mint really good. He's 32 and now out of contract, as back up I'd say look Kieron we'll give you £30k per game. Looks like Boro are ganna get him though.

If Dyer was Asian.............

Dyer was fantastic back in the day but he's played so little in recent years (dont think hes ever completed a full 90 min with West Ham) so I don't think it would be worth it now.