Smith to West Ham?

Christmas Tree

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have Woodgate on pay as play.

He refused a pay as you play deal at Spurs this month so it's a non starter. Woodgate obviously realizes that would mean he'd make a grand total of absolutely nothing in wages.

Leeds asking the toon to pay 30k a week of Smith's wage for the next 12 months. I'd do it personally, I'd pay the lot, but this emphasises what a prick the bloke is. He could go back to his home club on 10k a week but he's digging in for his money here. Will be a great day when the ink is drying on his Leeds contract.

I said this weeks ago (and possibly in this thread), the reason why we are now keen to offload players approaching 30, as the risk of them getting injured and being on long lucrative contracts is too much, is because Smith is this massive glaring fuck-up on the books. If it wasnt for Smith i reckon the attitude of the club would be different.

I blame Smith for Nolan being allowed to leave basically.

I said this weeks ago (and possibly in this thread), the reason why we are now keen to offload players approaching 30, as the risk of them getting injured and being on long lucrative contracts is too much, is because Smith is this massive glaring fuck-up on the books. If it wasnt for Smith i reckon the attitude of the club would be different.

I think that's naive tbh. There probably isn't a club out there who have been in the PL for a few years who haven't had their fingers burnt by a Smith-type signing. It's unfortunate but it happens. They'd still be willing to listen to any offers and would have been happy enough to peddle Nolan even if Smith had gone two years ago imo. Again that's not a defence of Smith or greedy bastard footballers in general but to ascribe the cause for the way the club is being run and the willingness to offload the likes of Nolan, Barton and Enrique to Smith isn't looking at the bigger picture. His wages are a relative drop in the ocean.

I think that's naive tbh. There probably isn't a club out there who have been in the PL for a few years who haven't had their fingers burnt by a Smith-type signing. It's unfortunate but it happens. They'd still be willing to listen to any offers and would have been happy enough to peddle Nolan even if Smith had gone two years ago imo. Again that's not a defence of Smith or greedy bastard footballers in general but to ascribe the cause for the way the club is being run and the willingness to offload the likes of Nolan, Barton and Enrique to Smith isn't looking at the bigger picture. His wages are a relative drop in the ocean.

3% of total annual revenue goes to Smith, or £1 of every ticket sold. If everyone was paid that we could afford to have 20 footballers at the entire club. I was being a bit silly by blaming him but in business there are always key insights and philosophies that drive decision-making. I reckon the experience of having Smith on the books is seen as far from a drop in the ocean to someone like Ashley who has built his business on small margins. A small margin business has no wastage, which is what Smith is. If wages make up a high proportion of cost (emphasising the importance of margins), then dont waste any and you'll be a much more effective club. The opportunity cost of Smith is very very high.

I am of course just second guessing the impact of his situation on the way he / the club are trying to do business. It might not be right (only the board members would know) but i dont think its a useless way to look at whats happening or appears is about to happen anyway.

3% of total annual revenue goes to Smith, or £1 of every ticket sold. If everyone was paid that we could afford to have 20 footballers at the entire club. I was being a bit silly by blaming him but in business there are always key insights and philosophies that drive decision-making. I reckon the experience of having Smith on the books is seen as far from a drop in the ocean to someone like Ashley who has built his business on small margins. A small margin business has no wastage, which is what Smith is. If wages make up a high proportion of cost (emphasising the importance of margins), then dont waste any and you'll be a much more effective club. The opportunity cost of Smith is very very high.

I am of course just second guessing the impact of his situation on the way he / the club are trying to do business. It might not be right (only the board members would know) but i dont think its a useless way to look at whats happening or appears is about to happen anyway.

I'm not denying they view Smith as a mistake but they've been trying to get rid of Barton since they bought him (more or less) and they've given out plenty of lucrative contracts post-Smith arriving and being a waste of space so I don't think he's the sole driving force behind their thinking you seemed to be making him out to be. They'd be trying to do stuff on the cheap now whether Smith was still here or not imo.

7% last year in the ccc, that was my stat of the year. Either way I'm taking a day off work to go the drink to celebrate the day he officially leaves.

I'm not denying they view Smith as a mistake but they've been trying to get rid of Barton since they bought him (more or less) and they've given out plenty of lucrative contracts post-Smith arriving and being a waste of space so I don't think he's the sole driving force behind their thinking you seemed to be making him out to be. They'd be trying to do stuff on the cheap now whether Smith was still here or not imo.

Lucrative contracts for younger players would suggest its not 'doing it on the cheap' which is the driving philosophy for their decisions. They've been trying to get rid of Barton for different reasons imo.

Lucrative contracts for younger players would suggest its not 'doing it on the cheap' which is the driving philosophy for their decisions. They've been trying to get rid of Barton for different reasons imo.

I just think they'd be keen to offload the players you mentioned, i.e. approaching 30, even if Smith wasn't still around. It's not a bad policy per se I suppose although I think it's a risky one if you adhere to it too strictly, as they look like they might be doing.

I could just imagine someone at board level making a presentation on transfer strategy, presenting the argument that we should be looking to offload players approaching 30 and someone asking why? He presses next slide and its just a photo of Smith.

The extent to which its being implemented is far too risky for me too, at this rate we will be starting from scratch. If he is building a team around Ben Arfa (which i suspect he might be) then changing the dynamic of influence and power in the dressing room would be fundamental to that. Losing all our top players bar Tiote is however far too cavalier and another example of the contempt the board has for the fabric of what constitutes a football club. He doesnt care for the sentiment involved, it might turn out we have a better side but the amount of things that can go wrong means he is yet again (if he does sell all these players) taking far too big a risk. Its their MO nowadays though, Carroll being a case in point.

I could just imagine someone at board level making a presentation on transfer strategy, presenting the argument that we should be looking to offload players approaching 30 and someone asking why? He presses next slide and its just a photo of Smith.

The extent to which its being implemented is far too risky for me too, at this rate we will be starting from scratch. If he is building a team around Ben Arfa (which i suspect he might be) then changing the dynamic of influence and power in the dressing room would be fundamental to that. Losing all our top players bar Tiote is however far too cavalier and another example of the contempt the board has for the fabric of what constitutes a football club. He doesnt care for the sentiment involved, it might turn out we have a better side but the amount of things that can go wrong means he is yet again (if he does sell all these players) taking far too big a risk. Its their MO nowadays though, Carroll being a case in point.

You're probably right tbf.

:icon_lol:

You're probably right tbf.

No real counter argument to that one. :icon_lol:

The real argument should be that we should not be looking to sign players who are shit and have had a number of severe injuries which have made them even shitter, especially not for £6million with 60k a week in wages.

You're absolutely right and as Scholes and Giggs have shown, being over 30 doesnt stop you for doing a job for the best team in the country.

If either one of them had picked up a bad injury and / or completely lost all their form, a club like Man U could carry them. I guess the thinking is our revenue base isnt big enough to risk that happening.

The real argument should be that we should not be looking to sign players who are shit and have had a number of severe injuries which have made them even shitter, especially not for £6million with 60k a week in wages.

You're absolutely right and as Scholes and Giggs have shown, being over 30 doesnt stop you for doing a job for the best team in the country.

If either one of them had picked up a bad injury and / or completely lost all their form, a club like Man U could carry them. I guess the thinking is our revenue base isnt big enough to risk that happening.

They could but unlike Smith you can be assured they would do the honourable thing like Gary Neville did midway through last season and retire.

It's got on NUFC.com that he'll be let go without a fee being charged

Wonder if it's true or not?

I'd let him go for nothing and pay some of his wages.

and I mean, me, personally.

Why? I'd sooner just kill him than give him more money.

I'm a lover not a fighter

If everyone chips in im sure we can achieve something here.

I blame Smith for the collapse of Lehman Brothers tbh.