Smith to West Ham?

Christmas Tree

Here's a stat for the geeks in geps, not looking at HF at all here like. Alan Smith's salary last season accounted for 7% of our total turnover. #disgrace.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a stat for the geeks in geps, not looking at HF at all here like. Alan Smith's salary last season accounted for 7% of our total turnover. #disgrace.

wow that’s ridiculous!

did you factor in the fee for buying him too, because that should be divided into every year he’s been here, and we’ll never see any return on that.

More likely, to my mind, that this is the start of a PR campaign to make him look like a greedy mercenary for staying. It won't be a hard one to sell to the fans like.

nail, head!

I hope he fucks off but i wouldnt bitch if he wanted to see his contract out. Not that i like the fella (lets face it, he's been shit for us) but a contracts a contract and theres only 1 party trying to wriggle out of it.

wow that’s ridiculous!

did you factor in the fee for buying him too, because that should be divided into every year he’s been here, and we’ll never see any return on that.

Well his salary is approx £3.2m a year, been here three years, so that's £9.6m, plus the transfer fee that's £15.8m, for three years of Alan Smith. I remember Alan Oliver saying value for money wise Big Dunc was the worst value for money we've ever had, what a load of pish he wrote, well Michael Owen for £40m definitely gave us more pound for pound than Smith even. Seriously he could honestly be the worst signing the club have ever made, because at least Xisco and Luque didn't impact on the clubs performances as much as Smith did, cos they didn't play as much.

He doesn't even drink, which in my opinion tells you everything you need to know about the bloke.

Saving his pennies. :rolleyes: Do you have a problem with non-drinkers, or just Smith not drinking and still being shite?

Not a major problem. They just go in the non drinkers box, littered with question marks against them.

wow that’s ridiculous!

Well his salary is approx £3.2m a year, been here three years, so that's £9.6m, plus the transfer fee that's £15.8m, for three years of Alan Smith. I remember Alan Oliver saying value for money wise Big Dunc was the worst value for money we've ever had, what a load of pish he wrote, well Michael Owen for £40m definitely gave us more pound for pound than Smith even. Seriously he could honestly be the worst signing the club have ever made, because at least Xisco and Luque didn't impact on the clubs performances as much as Smith did, cos they didn't play as much.

You don't need to be Miss Marple to spot that! :rolleyes:

He doesn't even drink, which in my opinion tells you everything you need to know about the bloke.

Saving his pennies. :rolleyes: Do you have a problem with non-drinkers, or just Smith not drinking and still being shite?

Not a major problem. They just go in the non drinkers box, littered with question marks against them.

Barton is another tee totaler

Guest alex

Barton is another tee totaler

Reformed alcoholics are ok (except J69).

Guest alex
Him and Rangers would be a reasonable match. He supports them and the level they play at might still be alright for him.

Have they got the cash to pay wages from the takeover yet, or is the bank still running them?

Read that as 'him and Ranger' and assumed it was a reference to their respective IQs.

ALAN Smith remains reluctant to leave Newcastle United despite the club making him available for transfer days after the season ended.

After being told his name would be circulated to rival clubs, Smith has already attracted interest from former team Leeds United – as well as lucrative offers from the Middle East and Major League Soccer clubs in America.

But Smith, currently on holiday in the States, will take his time before deciding his next career move. He currently has one year left on his contract and has indicated to friends he is prepared to fight to get his place back if no viable offer comes in for him.

“Alan has obviously been made aware that he is available for transfer by the club,” his agent Alex Black told The Journal last night.

“But Alan will only go somewhere if it is something that he wants to do. If there is nothing that appeals to him, he will be coming back to pre-season at Newcastle United.

“He will remain professional as ever and will work hard for Newcastle United, as he always has.”

Leeds chairman Ken Bates confirmed the Elland Road club would be interested in taking Smith back to Yorkshire but warned the veteran midfielder he would “have to knock a nought” off his wages to make the move happen.

With Smith preferring to stay in the Premier League, that is highly unlikely – although Black said he is not ruling anything out.

“As things stand at the moment, Alan will be returning to Newcastle United for pre-season training on July 4 and the most likely scenario as we stand is that he will still be at Newcastle,” he said.

As recruitment plans continue to bubble away behind the scenes – United target Gervinho having confirmed he will leave Lille for an English club yesterday afternoon – Newcastle are braced for outgoings too.

United turned down a £3million bid for Kevin Nolan from West Ham on Tuesday and do not want to sell their skipper, who is also reluctant to drop into the second tier.

But with rivals having been made aware of the turbulent nature of his contract negotiations, Nolan’s future at St James’ Park is far from certain.

A bid of nearer double the Hammers’ offer would be met with less resistance.

Interest remains in Joey Barton and José Enríque too, although the club are yet to receive a formal offer for either player. Barcelona have been credited with an interest in the Spanish left-back.

Lorient’s 24-year-old France international Kevin Gameiro remains the top striker target, but interest in Ivory Coast forward Gervinho – also 24 – remains.

The club harbour doubts about African Nations Cup commitments which could potentially rule him out for games for the next two seasons and there is also concern about where he would fit into their style of play.

But, despite those reservations, key men at the club consider him good enough to be worth the risk if he is prepared to commit to them. Liverpool, whose sporting director Damien Comolli is close to Gervinho’s advisers, and Arsenal – understood to be the forward’s preferred option – are Newcastle’s main rivals for his signature.

Gervinho, real name Gervais Yao Kouassi, said yesterday afternoon: “I have made my mind up.

“I will soon meet the club and let them know, but they understand my feelings that I want to prove myself in a top league in Europe.

“My agents are moving things as I want, people know where my future lies, it is in England.”

It makes you laugh when you hear some players say, 'Once I knew they didn't want me I knew I had to go'.

Smith really is the model professional. If he was more amateurish he'd move for first team football and take the huge pay cut coming his way! :rolleyes:

Hence the Barton and Nolan situation. The pair of them have a couple of good seasons left in them, then its sitting on the bench refusing to talk to small clubs and collecting north of 40k per week to do it. Just like Smith is now.

If Smith refuses to leave and no one wants to buy him / pay him then it probably means we will have to free up resources by selling effective players.

ALAN Smith remains reluctant to leave Newcastle United despite the club making him available for transfer days after the season ended.

After being told his name would be circulated to rival clubs, Smith has already attracted interest from former team Leeds United – as well as lucrative offers from the Middle East a

'..circulated to rival clubs' :rolleyes: ffs I shouldn't grumble, it's comments like that - early in a piece - that save me time from reading the rest of the shit printed.

Guest alex
Hence the Barton and Nolan situation. The pair of them have a couple of good seasons left in them, then its sitting on the bench refusing to talk to small clubs and collecting north of 40k per week to do it. Just like Smith is now.

If Smith refuses to leave and no one wants to buy him / pay him then it probably means we will choose to free up resources by selling effective players.

FYP.