High Earners

peasepud

That David Conn report on finance in the Guardian the other week was referenced by another writer and it said the investigation had revealed a Newcastle United player was earning £90k per week in the championship.

Can't be true.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
That David Conn report on finance in the Guardian the other week was referenced by another writer and it said the investigation had revealed a Newcastle United player was earning £90k per week in the championship.

Can't be true.

Could imagine Coloccini's being somewhere near that figure.

Can't be true.

Wasn't Collo rumoured to be on circa £80K ???

In the week where MPs have faced a severe embarrassment and grilling for taking away money that wasn`t entitled to them, perhaps our players should take a look at the treatment metered out to the nation`s politicians and thank themselves lucky. After all, the majority of our players have been paid millions for doing nothing but embarrassing the club for the best part of their time at the club.

There`s a hell of a lot of candidates to take the Hazel Blears, Elliot Morley and Shahid Malik roles but the following deserve a special mention:

1) Michael Owen - In years ahead Owen will surely rank in the top three for biggest wastes of money in the Premier League (to be fair he`ll probably be battling Steve Marlet and Shevchenko for these slots).

£17m for his transfer fee and an astronomical estimated £22m in wages over his four years here lands us with a £39m bill for the grand total of 77 games, with 30 goals thrown in. We`ll forget the fact Shearer managed that number of goals in one season for us when we finished 11th.

To some Owen will be remembered as a goalscoring legend, with the media re-running clips of 'that` Argentina goal and probably his hat trick against us. However I`d take Gavin Peacock or David Kelly over him any day. They had passion and pride for the shirt and will always be remembered as heroes for Black and Whites.

For the vast majority Owen will be seen as no better than Hamann or Goma, another characterless mercenary who took his corn, offered little and left under a cloud. The problem is we expected so much more from him. He promised the world and delivered pizza.

2) Joey Barton - Another import from the North West, Barton has written his name in folklore here for spending more time behind bars and in court rooms than on the pitch. The Dabo ban, the time spent in the clink for the McDonalds incident and now the suspension for the Alonso / Shearer.

Barton came with the tag of being the poor man`s Steven Gerrard. Instead we got the poor man`s Ronnie Biggs. All of this came for the princely sum of £5.3m and £64k a week with 32 appearances and two goals (both from the spot). At least with Barton there is the prospect of clawing back a couple of million.

3) Mark Viduka - Some people might have rose-tinted views of the Aussie, having performed so well against Boro last Monday night. However lets not forget the fact Viduka has performed a possum-esque hibernation over the last two years, turning up until October then disappearing until April.

The Aussie has cost us £60k a week over the last two years for the princely sum of 37 games and 7 goals. Again - bloody shameful. Walks away for nowt this summer.

4) Alan Smith - One day there will be a t-shirt printed saying 'I saw Alan Smith score`. However rather than against the likes of Portsmouth and Blackburn it`ll be Plymouth or Blackpool that 'Smudger` will aiming to be netting against.

Smith cost £5m and £60k a week for his 39 substandard games. Ironically he netted on his Newcastle debut in a friendly against Sampdoria but hasn`t scored since. At least not on the pitch. Likely to get a million or so back if we`re lucky.

5) Fabriccio Coloccini - Gash. £10m for the fee, probably about £50k for wages. Dropped and bombed out of the side, only to probably come back in against Villa this weekend for our most important game ever. Coloccini had the nerve to criticise the Newcastle experience as being 'not what was in the brochure`. Pot, kettle and black springs to mind.

6) Xisco - 3 games, 1 goal for £5.2m and probably £25k a week in wages. Well done Dennis Wise.

7) Jose Enrique - £6.3m and £35k a week in wages. Enrique has been the most frustrating player of all. Our only option at left back, he seems to break easier than china, missing whole chunks of the season injured. Has managed 48 games in two seasons. Might get the odd million back from a Spanish club, where he`ll no doubt be an ever present for the rest of his career.

8) Damien Duff - Like Enrique, another who has undersold himself here. At £60k a week and £5m a lot more has been expected of Duff who instead has managed 67 games with 4 goals in his time on Tyneside (3 years nearly). Probably worse than Xisco and Enrique in the sense that he was such a player in years gone by.

9) Shola Ameobi - With wages rocking up, flash cars in the drive and an attitude the size of a house, Ameobi really has been a crapper version of Carl Cort. With less movement than a 90 year old arthritis sufferer, the best thing Shola could have done is go to Stoke last summer. At least that way they wouldn`t have had the money to sign Beattie.

10) Geremi - Jose Mourinho famously told Bobby Robson that Geremi`s legs had gone. That was four years ago and the waster is still on our books at £60k a week. Symptomatic of how we`ve frittered away the TV millions with a wages to turnover rate of nearly 0.75:1.

Read more: http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/a...7#ixzz1ObKEOYJt

In the week where MPs have faced a severe embarrassment and grilling for taking away money that wasn`t entitled to them, perhaps our players should take a look at the treatment metered out to the nation`s politicians and thank themselves lucky. After all, the majority of our players have been paid millions for doing nothing but embarrassing the club for the best part of their time at the club.

There`s a hell of a lot of candidates to take the Hazel Blears, Elliot Morley and Shahid Malik roles but the following deserve a special mention:

1) Michael Owen - In years ahead Owen will surely rank in the top three for biggest wastes of money in the Premier League (to be fair he`ll probably be battling Steve Marlet and Shevchenko for these slots).

£17m for his transfer fee and an astronomical estimated £22m in wages over his four years here lands us with a £39m bill for the grand total of 77 games, with 30 goals thrown in. We`ll forget the fact Shearer managed that number of goals in one season for us when we finished 11th.

To some Owen will be remembered as a goalscoring legend, with the media re-running clips of 'that` Argentina goal and probably his hat trick against us. However I`d take Gavin Peacock or David Kelly over him any day. They had passion and pride for the shirt and will always be remembered as heroes for Black and Whites.

For the vast majority Owen will be seen as no better than Hamann or Goma, another characterless mercenary who took his corn, offered little and left under a cloud. The problem is we expected so much more from him. He promised the world and delivered pizza.

2) Joey Barton - Another import from the North West, Barton has written his name in folklore here for spending more time behind bars and in court rooms than on the pitch. The Dabo ban, the time spent in the clink for the McDonalds incident and now the suspension for the Alonso / Shearer.

Barton came with the tag of being the poor man`s Steven Gerrard. Instead we got the poor man`s Ronnie Biggs. All of this came for the princely sum of £5.3m and £64k a week with 32 appearances and two goals (both from the spot). At least with Barton there is the prospect of clawing back a couple of million.

3) Mark Viduka - Some people might have rose-tinted views of the Aussie, having performed so well against Boro last Monday night. However lets not forget the fact Viduka has performed a possum-esque hibernation over the last two years, turning up until October then disappearing until April.

The Aussie has cost us £60k a week over the last two years for the princely sum of 37 games and 7 goals. Again - bloody shameful. Walks away for nowt this summer.

4) Alan Smith - One day there will be a t-shirt printed saying 'I saw Alan Smith score`. However rather than against the likes of Portsmouth and Blackburn it`ll be Plymouth or Blackpool that 'Smudger` will aiming to be netting against.

Smith cost £5m and £60k a week for his 39 substandard games. Ironically he netted on his Newcastle debut in a friendly against Sampdoria but hasn`t scored since. At least not on the pitch. Likely to get a million or so back if we`re lucky.

5) Fabriccio Coloccini - Gash. £10m for the fee, probably about £50k for wages. Dropped and bombed out of the side, only to probably come back in against Villa this weekend for our most important game ever. Coloccini had the nerve to criticise the Newcastle experience as being 'not what was in the brochure`. Pot, kettle and black springs to mind.

6) Xisco - 3 games, 1 goal for £5.2m and probably £25k a week in wages. Well done Dennis Wise.

7) Jose Enrique - £6.3m and £35k a week in wages. Enrique has been the most frustrating player of all. Our only option at left back, he seems to break easier than china, missing whole chunks of the season injured. Has managed 48 games in two seasons. Might get the odd million back from a Spanish club, where he`ll no doubt be an ever present for the rest of his career.

8) Damien Duff - Like Enrique, another who has undersold himself here. At £60k a week and £5m a lot more has been expected of Duff who instead has managed 67 games with 4 goals in his time on Tyneside (3 years nearly). Probably worse than Xisco and Enrique in the sense that he was such a player in years gone by.

9) Shola Ameobi - With wages rocking up, flash cars in the drive and an attitude the size of a house, Ameobi really has been a crapper version of Carl Cort. With less movement than a 90 year old arthritis sufferer, the best thing Shola could have done is go to Stoke last summer. At least that way they wouldn`t have had the money to sign Beattie.

10) Geremi - Jose Mourinho famously told Bobby Robson that Geremi`s legs had gone. That was four years ago and the waster is still on our books at £60k a week. Symptomatic of how we`ve frittered away the TV millions with a wages to turnover rate of nearly 0.75:1.

Read more: http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/a...7#ixzz1ObKEOYJt

Whats the point in posting a 2 year old article?

good one

I'm not over the top in the slightest. I think this wages business is being used as a convenient excuse by those clinging to their claims that "anybody but Fred would be better" which the majority of supporters on all message boards and in real life claimed.

I think paying 2nd rate wages will result in having a 2nd/3rd rate club, its as simple as that.

There is a book called "Why England lose and other curious phenomena explained" which produces all sort of footballing facts, one of which is a comprehensive table based over about 50 years and more, which proves success in football is directly linked to wages. Not necessarily transfer fees, but to wages.

The old saying "pay peanuts and you get monkeys" most definitely applies.

Would that be the book that ridiculously compares football clubs to commercial enterprises, that book ???

Success = income = higher wages, continued success = even more income = even higher wages, basic stuff really.

Of course today, Rich Sugar daddy = stupid wages = income irrelevant = success sooner or later

Unlike the book you have by "bitter" Denis Cassidy of course. What a hypocrite. I would say the book I refer to is far more insightful, it looks at all football clubs over a period of 50 years and compares all of their fortunes side by side against each other.

stop pretending you had a crystal ball 5-6 years ago and saw Man City were going to be taken over by Arabs, although why that means NUFC have to behave like a selling club run on the lines of clubs like Bolton and Blackburn is still a mystery you should explain. Admit that the new owner is "not better than Fred" etc etc - and never will be. And stop derailing the thread. That is my point, my response to you, success is related to wages, if the club pays 2nd rate wages and doesn't keep up, it will only decline further.That is the topic of this thread, so stick to it.

Don't have any books on or about football can't think of anything worse tbh.

The book you refer to is fundamentaly and hilariously flawed in the one example of it's "insight" that you've so far spouted.

As for the last bit, until recently (post Abramovich) I would suggest wage levels were related to continued success rather than the other way around, as we sadly prove.

you still give absolutely no reason why we should be a selling club competing with other clubs who's only goal is to avoid relegation.

Have we done "better than Fred" under Ashley or not ?

The book you keep quoting, as in your sig, is "ridiculously compares football clubs to commercial enterprise" written by a man with an axe to grind, whereas the book I am concerned with is one completely about football clubs and the footballing business, and how, despite the scaremongering of yourself and those plonkers on skunkers who equally are looking for any old reason they can think of rather than admit they got it all wrong, shows you that very very few football clubs go bust despite the way the game is run.

As said elsewhere, there is no way a club with the support and revenues of NUFC (built up by the Halls and Shepherd but being slowly eroded by Mike Ashley), with such a fanbase, stadium slap bang in the middle of a big city centre, is going to go bust and out of business, other than long term apathy such as the Halls and Shepherd found it.

So. Stop derailing the thread, or Holden McGroin will complain about it or Dr Gloom will complain anyway, despite him now repeating everything I've said in the last few years that he's gave me flak for but is now repeating.

Guthrie was revealed to be on about £4k p/w recently after some speeding trial I think.

With image rights and endorsements though you can slap another £5 p/w on that.

the book I am concerned with is one completely about football clubs and the footballing business, and how, despite the scaremongering of yourself and those plonkers on skunkers who equally are looking for any old reason they can think of rather than admit they got it all wrong, shows you that very very few football clubs go bust despite the way the game is run.

That'll be just the 54 since the Prem League came into being then, aye that's "very, very few" :rolleyes:

On the wider context of your precious book. The two things you've thrown up out of it so far have been debunked, what's next from this mighty tome of stupidity??? I can't wait for the laugh.

the book I am concerned with is one completely about football clubs and the footballing business, and how, despite the scaremongering of yourself and those plonkers on skunkers who equally are looking for any old reason they can think of rather than admit they got it all wrong, shows you that very very few football clubs go bust despite the way the game is run.

That'll be just the 54 since the Prem League came into being then, aye that's "very, very few" :D

On the wider context of your precious book. The two things you've thrown up out of it so far have been debunked, what's next from this mighty tome of stupidity??? I can't wait for the laugh.

:rolleyes:

Guthrie was revealed to be on about £4k p/w recently after some speeding trial I think.

With image rights and endorsements though you can slap another £5 p/w on that.

Yeah, probably a weekly wage of 4 and then lots of appearance bonuses/image rights/shit tattoo pay outs.

I think Pud was saying his house has loads of flash cars, etc.

Out of interest, have any of those 54 ceased to exist?

How many of the 54 are in a better position ???

It is a well known fact that in the case of football club insolvency there is "the football rule" which the revenue were challenging (not sure if they are now) which means that football creditors get paid above all others, clubs don't suffer the same fate as a normal commercial businesses when they "go bust".

Like with Portsmouth, millionaire footballers get their cash and local businesses go to the wall, disgracefull.

In football terms (unless the Revenue won their case, which they should have IMO) "going bust" is basically going into administration. The points deduction rules were brought in to deter clubs from simply declaring administration and walking away from their liabilities - Leicester I think was the straw that broke that camels back.

Edit - HMRC case is later this year, Sports Minister also making noises about taking the football creditors rule away. Hope they win.

Edited by Toonpack

It is a well known fact that in the case of football club insolvency there is "the football rule" which the revenue were challenging (not sure if they are now) which means that football creditors get paid above all others, clubs don't suffer the same fate as a normal commercial businesses when they "go bust".

Like with Portsmouth, millionaire footballers get their cash and local businesses go to the wall, disgracefull.

In football terms (unless the Revenue won their case, which they should have IMO) "going bust" is basically going into administration. The points deduction rules were brought in to deter clubs from simply declaring administration and walking away from their liabilities - Leicester I think was the straw that broke that camels back.

Couldn't tell you, hence my question.

The Portsmouth situation was like a merry-go-round with regards to ownership. They may yet come out of this better in the long run having had their fingers burnt. For what it's worth I agree football needs to have a long look at itself however there has to be a balance. I worry that we'll lose millions playing in a lower league. It's already happened and I don't want to risk years in the wilderness again like the late 70's and late 80's.

The Portsmouth situation was like a merry-go-round with regards to ownership. They may yet come out of this better in the long run having had their fingers burnt. For what it's worth I agree football needs to have a long look at itself however there has to be a balance. I worry that we'll lose millions playing in a lower league. It's already happened and I don't want to risk years in the wilderness again like the late 70's and late 80's.

Couldn't agree more.

Our best hope IMO is that UEFA's rules really work, because few could live with us even if we are well "within our means".

Me too but it aint ganna happen.

Also it could go the other way if played to the rule. The same CL clubs would have the good players already, they'd have the money to themselves and the glass ceiling would remain.

Me too but it aint ganna happen.

Also it could go the other way if played to the rule. The same CL clubs would have the good players already, they'd have the money to themselves and the glass ceiling would remain.

Possibly, but there's only so many "superstars" to go round and if clubs have to stay within parameters outside the Champs League, the bigger clubs will get the better leftovers and thus should challenge.

What would really help would be if Champs League TV money went to the home associations and was divied up between all the clubs, but sadly that'll never happen.

Can't be true.

Could imagine Coloccini's being somewhere near that figure.

yeh, I’ve heard a few reports of around £90k.

Couldn't agree more.

Our best hope IMO is that UEFA's rules really work, because few could live with us even if we are well "within our means".

so in the meantime we'll just opt out of competing ? :rolleyes:

As was mentioned a few weeks ago [by sniffer?], if clubs exist on resources only, will Ashley speculate with the resources or the Halls and Shepherd ?

Doesn't change the fact that you and numerous others are hiding behind a move of the goalposts because you called it spectacularly wrong re the ex owners, or else we have qualified for europe even once in the past 4 years and I blinked and missed it.

The club is in decline, it is a selling club again, like it or not, that is the truth, and it is the current owner who has eroded the fanbase and revenues that is causing it.