Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

Have attendances dropped this season since the name change or have they remained consistent?

Half price season tickets were sold prior to the name change.

So it hasn't decreased then.

untitled.jpg

The crowds were increasing steadily with our performance on the field, the name changed on Nov 9th after the Everton game, we then had the peak crowd of 52,000 for Chelsea - tickets would all have been bought for that game already prior to the name change - and after that, yes there does seem to be a drop off (except for the draw of man U which filled the stadium again).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign of the times isn't it? How many years was that message about burning Hammers daubed on the wall on the outside of the Gallowgate corner without any action taken?

Sadly all this is doing is playing into Sports Direct's hands though - just cements the view that no self-respecting sponsor is going to want get involved in a decision that so many are clearly against.

Not sure how that plays into SDs hands though?

Like you say, its clear to see that the name change is a poison chalice for anyone who takes it on, that was known before though.

Suggesting that no other sponsor comes in so the stadium remains the SDA.

Does anybody seriously think they have any intention of trying to find a paying sponsor?

If someone came along and offered them £10m then I reckon they'd take it.

They know of course that will never happen.

Branson was obviously offered the "double deal" for shirts and stadium but knew not to touch the ground with a bargepole.

Daft thing is Branson could make himself and his company infallible on Tyneside by simply getting the rights and naming it St James' Park and to be fair if they said "we'll do it if we get x thousand new accounts created" I bet they'd manage it, Id definitely move my overdraft, defaulted loans and maxed out credit cards to them ;)

What's going on with NUST anyway?

Negligible entity that exists purely to feed Mark Jensens ego and provide a way for the Mag to pass off its advertising debts.....

oops did I say that? eeeeh wheres the delete button?

ahh feck it hes never going to read it anyway because and I quote "people who use Internet forums are insignificant"

Negligible entity that exists purely to feed Mark Jensens ego and provide a way for the Mag to pass off its advertising debts..... oops did I say that? eeeeh wheres the delete button? ahh feck it hes never going to read it anyway because and I quote "people who use Internet forums are insignificant"

:lol:

Oh dear. Vaguely knew the bloke when he started the Mag, always seemed to be a good lad but it seems from whats been said about him on here by various posters that its all been a bit of an ego trip for him. Was being the founding editor of a successful and influential fanzine not enough for him in the end?

Negligible entity that exists purely to feed Mark Jensens ego and provide a way for the Mag to pass off its advertising debts.....

oops did I say that? eeeeh wheres the delete button?

ahh feck it hes never going to read it anyway because and I quote "people who use Internet forums are insignificant"

:lol:

Fair enough! Wasn't the answer I was expecting.

Twelve MPs are appealing for Newcastle United to reconsider their decision to change the name of St James' Park, calling it "corporate vandalism". The group signed a Commons motion, condemning the change of name in favour of the Sports Direct Arena. It says it "deeply regrets" the decision to rebrand the ground and are urging the club to think again. The club said the change was temporary, hoping it would "showcase" sponsorship opportunities to "interested parties". The St James' Park signs were removed last week, but graffiti has been sprayed back onto the wall of the stadium twice, in separate instances. David Anderson, Labour MP for Blaydon, said the club's decision was an "insult" to supporters and "disrespectful" to the region. "They've got no interest whatsoever in the ordinary football fan," he said. "They are ignoring the people who have made this the club what it is, who spent more than 100 years building this club up into an icon for our region.The St James' Park sign being removedThe St James' Park signs were removed from the ground last week "It is total disrespect for the history and culture of our region." The motion has been signed by Labour MPs Ian Mearns, Pat Glass, Catherine McKinnell, Chi Onwurah, Nick Brown, Ian Lavery, Dennis Skinner, David Anderson, Mary Glindon, Stephen Hepburn, Alex Cunningham and Sir Alan Meale. When the club announced the name change last November - Sports Direct is the company of club owner Mike Ashley - Newcastle United fans labelled it a "disgrace", with most refusing to use the new name. Newcastle City Council backed fans and asked local media organisations not to recognise the Sports Direct Arena name. The authority has also agreed a motion, stating it has no plans to change any direction signs which bear the name St James' Park. The club has not commented on the motion by MPs.

Is it just me, or is Mark Jensen the love child of Frank Clark? Not just facially, he also speaks exactly like him..through the nose rather than the mouth.

You usually associate people with Scandanavian heritage as being good looking, but what an ugly cunt.

I don't like the other bloke who works in there with him neither he's a cocky doilum.

I sold them £800 worth of books for £12 like a mug, I should've put them in the bin out of principle.

It would be extreme folly for a club who haven't won a major trophy for over 40 years and whose biggest asset is it's history, tradition and the support it generates through this, to change part of its very fabric for a few quid. You'd surely be devaluing your own 'brand'. When you realise we're getting fuck all for the privilage then you have to wonder what's in it for NUFC?

End of the day, he's bought our club as a vehicle to drive Sports Direct and the sooner people get this 'sponsorship' money shit out of their heads the better. We're not getting any money and Sports Direct is here to stay whilst here's here. We're virtually Sports Direct's football club.

He's eroding our biggest strength and our pride and any benefits of this will be felt by Sports Direct and not NUFC.

I support Newcastle United, not Sports Direct. They're not a mere sponsor in the background, they are creeping, no, actually barging into our identity. I hate it and despair at any positive noises about this move. In fact I despair just as much of the shrug of shoulders some give. This matters.

Quality post btw my feelings summed up exactly

The biggest change I feel theres been between the ownership of Shepherd and the ownership of Ashley is the former ran it for the fans and what meant most to us and Ashley is running it to spite us.

It would be extreme folly for a club who haven't won a major trophy for over 40 years and whose biggest asset is it's history, tradition and the support it generates through this, to change part of its very fabric for a few quid. You'd surely be devaluing your own 'brand'. When you realise we're getting fuck all for the privilage then you have to wonder what's in it for NUFC?

End of the day, he's bought our club as a vehicle to drive Sports Direct and the sooner people get this 'sponsorship' money shit out of their heads the better. We're not getting any money and Sports Direct is here to stay whilst here's here. We're virtually Sports Direct's football club.

He's eroding our biggest strength and our pride and any benefits of this will be felt by Sports Direct and not NUFC.

I support Newcastle United, not Sports Direct. They're not a mere sponsor in the background, they are creeping, no, actually barging into our identity. I hate it and despair at any positive noises about this move. In fact I despair just as much of the shrug of shoulders some give. This matters.

Quality post btw my feelings summed up exactly

The biggest change I feel theres been between the ownership of Shepherd and the ownership of Ashley is the former ran it for the fans and what meant most to us and Ashley is running it to spite us.

I think the Shepherd/Halls ran the club for what meant most to them actually. The big difference between them and Ashley imo is the latter doesn't give a toss for our tradition and history, whereas the Shepherds/Halls were careful to acknowledge it in public. Not that it stopped them putting corporates ahead of season ticket holders.

The previous board made personally around £90m from the sale of the club and extracted enormous sums of money in dividends and salaries over the years. They were more than entitled to this as the performance of the club justified it but it is the height of naivety to think they did it all for the fans.

Sorry, even if you were correct, it would never be that simple. People don't spend millions on things purely to spite others. The things Ashley has done/authorised are more down to bad advice, and not keeping his two highest profile businesses - NUFC and Sports DIrect - at arm's length. Hyperbole or not I don't know, but I don't think there's any malicious intent. At worst, he just doesn't care about us all that much.

Shepherd is a fan, so yes I agree that he did things for us (or rather, didn't do things to anger us like renaming SJP). That he also did plenty for himself has been covered by others.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

The previous board made personally around £90m from the sale of the club and extracted enormous sums of money in dividends and salaries over the years. They were more than entitled to this as the performance of the club justified it but it is the height of naivety to think they did it all for the fans.

Really?

Sorry, even if you were correct, it would never be that simple. People don't spend millions on things purely to spite others. The things Ashley has done/authorised are more down to bad advice, and not keeping his two highest profile businesses - NUFC and Sports DIrect - at arm's length. Hyperbole or not I don't know, but I don't think there's any malicious intent. At worst, he just doesn't care about us all that much.

Shepherd is a fan, so yes I agree that he did things for us (or rather, didn't do things to anger us like renaming SJP). That he also did plenty for himself has been covered by others.

GTFO if you think Ashley taking bad advice it to why he totally disregards the fans, seriously?

The difference is everything Ashley does is totally pre-meditated to fuck off the fans, look at the past few things he's done, all of them have been done when theres a break between home games so it all dies down by the time the next home game comes around.

No matter what he does it's to totally go against what the fans believe and want. Yes, Shepherd and Hall did things for themselves too but they didnt throw it in the face of all the fans because the knew we were the heartbeat of the club.

CT's stance sums it up perfectly for me, back in the days of Shepherd and the Halls the fans would be up in arms if they done what Ashley's been doing but now theres a feeling between a large section of fans where the things Ashley has done has took the passion out of the fanbase because they think theres nothing we can do, he's drove the passion out of some of the fans and its spreading like wildfire.

GTFO if you think Ashley taking bad advice it to why he totally disregards the fans, seriously?

The difference is everything Ashley does is totally pre-meditated to fuck off the fans, look at the past few things he's done, all of them have been done when theres a break between home games so it all dies down by the time the next home game comes around.

No matter what he does it's to totally go against what the fans believe and want. Yes, Shepherd and Hall did things for themselves too but they didnt throw it in the face of all the fans because the knew we were the heartbeat of the club.

CT's stance sums it up perfectly for me, back in the days of Shepherd and the Halls the fans would be up in arms if they done what Ashley's been doing but now theres a feeling between a large section of fans where the things Ashley has done has took the passion out of the fanbase because they think theres nothing we can do, he's drove the passion out of some of the fans and its spreading like wildfire.

I can see why you'd think like that and sitting in NZ, I'm not on the receiving end like other poeple. However I think it's more likely that Ashley looks on these things purely as a business proposition rather than delberately aiming to fuck off the fans. I think he's trying to leverage as much value out of his asset as possible and calculates that the fall out from fans, who are essentially a captive audience for now, will be temporary. He obviously doesn't get the link between tradition and loyalty, or gets it and doesn't care.