Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

Aye Toontastic is full of footballing visionairies. Would people rather keep the name and never threaten the top of the premiership again? Just how important is it? if you were offered the choice between a cup in your lifetime or keeping the name, which one would you choose?

Why can't we have both?

Do you honestly believe ,Chez, that a single penny of this, so far, non existent £10million will make it's way to the transfer kitty?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye Toontastic is full of footballing visionairies. Would people rather keep the name and never threaten the top of the premiership again? Just how important is it? if you were offered the choice between a cup in your lifetime or keeping the name, which one would you choose?

The two are not mutually exclusive. An increase in revenue of less that 5% will not put us in a position to challenge for a CL spot.

It's not one or the other though, is it? Mike Ashley's way of spending won't all of a sudden amount in the FA Cup on our doorstep. I want St. James' Park AND a Cup in my lifetime, it looks like i'll get neither the way it's going. Okay, we're 3rd, great. Will we stay there? We've gotten lucky and I think we'll finish 7th, does that mean that Sports Direct Arena will be showcasing a Cup winning team when Newcastle won no cups when they came 2nd/3rd/4th? It's important because it's been the home of Newcastle since the 19th century, it'd be like renaming the Houses of Parliament the "Coca-Cola Commons" and the "Lloyds Lords" because it gives a measly bit of profit to the government.

Meltdowns going on on Toon forums across the board tonight. Ashley Out banners and chants and an overall poisonous atmosphere at the next home match, leading to a loss of form and an eventual 11th place finish.

In other words, things are returning back to normal for Newcastle United.

Have you seen the state of the stadium? They aren't paying for ANY of that. What's the difference?

In fairness they didn't displace any existing advertisers for most of their current SD branding so there was no opportunity cost. The same can't be said for the shirt sponsor.

Course they do. 50% of the electronic boards are SD for a start. Every board around the back of the east stand and Gallowgaye has been replaced too.

Advertising will be well down anyway. Every pound lost in revenue by the club is another pound Ashley has had to personally subsidise.

Why can't we have both?

Do you honestly believe ,Chez, that a single penny of this, so far, non existent £10million will make it's way to the transfer kitty?

It's incredible that even intelligent people feel there's nothing wrong with this. Mate of mine tonight who I'm seeing tomorrow night just put on twitter that it's all part of the commercial world this now. I'm choking back the vomit to think that anyone can put a positive slant on this darkest of nights. As I said ALL calculated to wind up, show who's boss, and the timing in thatthere's no home game for 4 weeks.

The question was based on preference elicitation methods, it's a hypothetical choice which reveals, if answered by anyone, the extent and strength of feeling over issues.

For those who replied whether I think money will be put in, it already has. We are not a profitable club, we are a heavy loss maker. Easy to forget your financial history ;)

Will this improve commercial revenue? No, if the club is willing to give its shirt sponsorship away for free then commercial revenue is not a factor in decisions.

So HF are you saying that when SD inevitably become our shirt sponsors, this will also be free?

Only if you're saying renaming the stadium will inevitibly lead to us winning the league.

I don't think SD will go on the shirts as 90% of them are sold in the north east or to ex pats who hate the shithole and won't buy....if it did, ashley won't pay for the privelige. He sees it as his right having invested what he has.

Edited by Happy Face

First and foremost before anything, Ashley is a gambler.

See Cabaye & Tiote etc? Gambles. They paid off. See Perch? Gamble that didnt pay off.

While I still give credit to the players and to Pardew for getting us where we are in the league, as far as MA is concerned it's a gamble that has paid off but with a few injuries could just as easy go tits up.

He knew he was going to do this, he knew the fans would kick off. That is why a) he waited until the international break to let the dust settle and B) he done it after the recent season ticket offer as he knew it would have impacted that. Calculated it to the second.

Why the fuck the thick fuck couldnt have waited until after the season was over? Why turn things back on their head now?

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20111110/club-announce-stadium-name-plans_2281670_2511479

Newcastle United have today announced plans to license the full naming rights to the club's stadium following consultation with international branding experts.

The board are committed to generating additional commercial revenue from advertising and sponsorship opportunities. The original naming rights proposal, launched in November 2009, invited sponsors to link their brand to St. James' Park, but this did not prove commercially attractive.

As such, the club will now seek a sponsor who will be granted full naming rights. Until such time the stadium will be renamed the Sports Direct Arena.

Managing Director, Derek Llambias, said: "Our aim for Newcastle United is to continue to deliver success for the fans and everyone associated with the Club. We must make this Club financially self-sufficient in order to deliver that success.

To grow sustainably and allow us to invest in our future, we will need to rely increasingly heavily on commercial income. These are very difficult economic times and the board have a responsibility to maximise all revenue streams for the benefit of the Club. Stadium rebranding offers a lucrative way for clubs to secure significant additional income.

"When we initially launched our plans at the end of 2009, we invited sponsors to attach their brand to that of St. James' Park. However it has become clear that in order to make the proposition as commercially attractive as possible, a potential sponsor must be given the opportunity to fully rebrand the stadium.

"Naming the stadium the Sports Direct Arena helps up to showcase the opportunity to interested parties. We are now actively seeking a long-term sponsor wishing to acquire full naming rights for the stadium.

"Our shirt sponsorship deal with Northern Rock will also expire at the end of this season, which presents would-be sponsors with the opportunity to acquire both the naming rights and shirt sponsorship deals."

Why no consultation with fans?

Brian McNally is a wanker. He is, but he's used the right word just there, it is OBSCENE. If people are going to come out with total pish about extra money coming in to the club to win trophies (which we won't ever), then why stop with St James'. Surely if you're going to let an 130 year piece of heritage just evaporate to nothing, why stop there?????? 130 years. Why not renaming the club Newcastle Sports Direct Sports Bras??? Why not do that if we're accepting this, we've only been known as Newcastle United for 119 years. Pah what's 119 years for an extra 5-10m. Fucking unbelievable. It would never happen at Man Utd, I tell you something it else it would never happen at an irrelevance of a club like Celtic who have fuck all money because the fans wouldn't let it happen.

So HF are you saying that when SD inevitably become our shirt sponsors, this will also be free?

Only if you're saying renaming the stadium will inevitibly lead to us winning the league.

I don't think SD will go on the shirts as 90% of them are sold in the north east or to ex pats who hate the shithole and won't buy....if it did, ashley won't pay for the privelige. He sees it as his right having invested what he has.

I didn't follow that, let's pick it up tomorrow. I don't like this but if it's not bullshit then it's right for the club's business unfortunately. That's how shit modern football is.

from ESPN site........

......Even their owners are starting to look vaguely competent. The £35 million they squeezed out of Liverpool for Andy Carroll is starting to look like an inspired transaction, especially as the freebie (Demba Ba) they replaced him with has four times the number of Premier League goals. In fact things are going so well, it is about time they did something horrendously stupid, like renaming the St James' Park hostelry known as' Shearer's' the 'Joe Kinnear Speakeasy'.

author almost called this one.....

article date nov 7, eerily ITK

What we should do is every game the whole ground Justice For the 96 style, sing Sports Direct is fuckin shite for 6 minutes, hopefully putting any potential sponsors off. Also hopefully making them reconsider what a fucking unreal decision they've made.

Fucking unbelievable. It would never happen at Man Utd, I tell you something it else it would never happen at an irrelevance of a club like Celtic who have fuck all money because the fans wouldn't let it happen.

This.

Would Man U even consider renaming Old Trafford???

The club will never see the value of the SD advertising/renaming paid to them and anyone that believes otherwise is fooling themselves.

We're gonna be seeing not a penny at all from any of the SD signage we're really not. Not at one point has Llambias says that SD is sponsoring the club and putting money into the club in any of the interviews, just basically to show what would happen to potential sponsors, and thats the point he will make when the accounts or whatever come out.