Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuine question, can you change a teams very name - legally speaking?

Course you can. Salzburg have had about five different names in twenty years. Red Bull Salzburg they're called now.

As Stevie has pointed out, if SJP was is desperate need of demolition and a brand new stadium had to be built in a different location, you could grudgingly accept the costs involved would neccesitate a sponsor. Like all stadiums Craig listed. They're all new ones with no historical attachment to the club.

It's a shame to see them hawking the stadium around like a pimp with a cheap whore.

It tells you how bad it is when even Danny Baker is actually making a serious post on twitter for once..

"Newcastle fans. To make your point to these gormless pinhead paymasters - Boycott programmes and club shop. Oh they listen then alright."

There's no way a new sponsor would come in and take the bullet over the stadium name change. It would be terrible publicity. SD takes the initial hit and then possibly we end up with something like 'The ___ St James' Park' if a new sponsor come in.

They've already struggled to sell the naming rights and in-house branding. They're looking to do one big package now incorporating shirt sponsorship/stadium name and in-house signage. I wonder if they'll be able to attract anyone.

I don't even think they intend to sell the naming rights, this is just more free advertising for the Fat Man. Modern football is rubbish, no news in that. But normally the naming rights are sold in order to generate income for the club. That's not the case here, the club/the fans won't benefit at all from this. Makes you sick.

No, the attempt to bring in more money from a sponsor is genuine. The fatty has seen ManCity and Arsenal bringing in tens of millions via this route and is drooling.

Calling it Sports Direct is a place-holder.

It tells you how bad it is when even Danny Baker is actually making a serious post on twitter for once..

"Newcastle fans. To make your point to these gormless pinhead paymasters - Boycott programmes and club shop. Oh they listen then alright."

I don't think a hit of £1m or £2m matters too much to a man who thinks nothing of walking out of Aspers £1m down in four hours walking out with a smile on his face.

Course you can. Salzburg have had about five different names in twenty years. Red Bull Salzburg they're called now.

We havent seen shit yet then. Wouldnt surprise me if that change is in the pipelines as well. And Im sure Chez wont mind that either.. team positive haway..

We havent seen shit yet then. Wouldnt surprise me if that change is in the pipelines as well. And Im sure Chez wont mind that either.. team positive haway..

Reported.

So HF are you saying that when SD inevitably become our shirt sponsors, this will also be free?

I honestly did believe you were brighter than this.

By linking the shirt deal with the toxic naming rights and quoting £10m for the privilege he's basically minimising the chance of anyone actually taking up the deal. Which means in a years time we will be wandering round with SD on our tops.

You're going to mock me here but I think there's worse to come.

Nov 11 - stadium name change to "promote the advertising potential"

Feb 12 - Llambias blames fans for lack of transfer purchases & sale of Colo "your protests against name change is putting sponsors off"

Aug 12 - no new sponsors therefore SD on shirts to "further promote the advertising potential".

Oct 12 - Llambias blames fans for lack of transfer purchases & sale of Tiote & Cabaye "protests against name change is putting sponsors off"

Feb 13 - Llambias blames fans for lack of transfer purchases & sale of Ba, HBA & Krul "your protests against name change is putting sponsors off"

Aug 13 - Club announce they've been forced to add to sponsorship benefits. "have the strips in your corporate colours with your name on the front "amazing chance to fully sponsor a major Championship club for only £50m per season". Sports Direct step in and graciously offer to let use use Blue & Red as a showcase.

Aug 15 - "On Sky Sports 7 today we have the clash of the titans, our new First Division coverage starts with a trip to the Sports Direct Arena as Sports Direct FC take on Brighton" meanwhile Football Club United Newcastle play their inaugural game against Hebburn Labour Club in front of a 30k crowd.

I've made the statement & I stand by it. I will never set foot inside the Sports Direct Arena unless it is to take part in some organised protest, this is our club and our stadium it is not a corporate brand. It is Newcastle United FC @ St James' Park

So you will be giving them the very excuse you state they need for all those things you predict.

It is and always will be SJP, ignore it.

Oh, and you'll never get 30K in Hebburn, it's south of the river, Newcastle can't be based south of the water, nee fucker'd go.

Fuck off you cunt. I hate cunts like you.

You mean hate people who don't cry at the slightest thing ???

Slightest thing1?!?!??!?!?!?! 130 years of history consigned to memory in one sweep. You fucking arsehole! Will the renaming of NUFC be a slight thing too. As I said last night it will never happen at Celtic or Man Utd. Imagine this "the Champions League Quarter Final between AC Milan and Chelse is live arfter the break from the Dominos Pizza Arena", it's as bad as what he's done. The two of them could spit roast your wife, "well I'm all for sanctioning positive feelings at boardroom level". You're a tit mate a fuckin tit.

Consigned to memory, get a grip man, who amongst supporters (who are all that matters tbh) anywhere (except Sunlun for the wind up factor) is going to call it SD Arena. No-one who matters will. It is and always shall be SJP.

Do I think what he's done is right, no. But it makes no difference unless you let it.

You got over SD @ SJP, you'll get over this.

Do you think Sky Sports and the BBC and the newspapers will be referring to where a game has taken place as SJP? You must be off your trolley pal, the whole world will think we now play at the SD Arena. I'd rather it was called the STD Arena than this. Kids will grow up, impressionable kids 8-14 and it will just be normal to call it the Sports Direct Arena, they'll grow wondering what the fuss is about SJP. He's done everything else you can do to strip a club of it's dignity, this is the worst, and the only lower he can go now is changing our colours and actually renaming the club.

So what. If it works on the pitch, who cares.

Up here, where it matters, it will always be SJP. If the team’s doing well and impressionable kids in Timbuktu, or elsewhere, think we play at SDA but buy shirts etc it doesn’t matter, IF (Big IF) that’s reflected on the pitch.

What if we’d moved to a new stadium SJP would really have been consigned to memory as Highbury has been and Anfield or WHL likely will be.

It’s all about the commercial stuff things these days, and new revenue streams, Man U (as you mention) don’t need to do it, they get tens of millions a year for a brand badge on their training kit FFS. If their money was tight don’t believe for a second Old Trafford would be sacrosanct. If you do you are naive in the extreme. (The Glazers have previous, albeit in a new stadium). Chelsea are already (and have been) looking at similar for a while.

Would you trade winning something(s) for the name of the ground ?? (I would btw)

On the wider front, he’s evidently after France’s biggest sports retailer, we’re currently “flavour of the month” in France, he ain’t daft is he. BUT for him to really use NUFC as a vehicle to maximise SD, NUFC has to do well on the pitch, which is all anyone wants, surely.

What would you really prefer a deserted SJP and a struggling (plummeting team) or a succesfull team which plays at the SDA.

Team colours and name would fall into my sacrosanct category by the way.

He owns every atom of the club, it is his, he can, and will do what he wants. No amount of protests can change that, what they can change is the performance of the team on the pitch, in “Toonpack world” the team on the pitch is what the game is about.

the toonpack world can do one

Surely we can rename Mike Ashley. Just start using a new name in all fan publications.

Mike Hunt? Mike Herrings? Mike St. James' Park?

I hope the local journo's still call it SJP. If they've an ounce of integrity they will. (So they won't).

Chez, full list of renamed sports stadiums here(UK)

http://en.wikipedia...._rights#England

Every single one built since 1988

How many bricks at SJP were laid before then?

What's that got to do with anything? It's the same land, the same place, the same history, the same Gallowgate burial land where hundreds of gypsies were hanged. Some people are clutching at straws here.

Bricks and mortar and the people living in them are your cultural heritage, names of towns, village change over the years from roman to Anglo Saxon to Norman to medieval to modern. The football clu's heritage as you have just so beautufllu argues relates to it's place in the city, the gypsy burial ground, the old gate, the democratisation of common land in Leazes park. This is our history and a temporary name change won't chafe that. I agree it's part of the heritage but in the grand scheme of things it's a minor blot compared to previous crimes against the city.

So HF are you saying that when SD inevitably become our shirt sponsors, this will also be free?

I honestly did believe you were brighter than this.

By linking the shirt deal with the toxic naming rights and quoting £10m for the privilege he's basically minimising the chance of anyone actually taking up the deal. Which means in a years time we will be wandering round with SD on our tops.

You're going to mock me here but I think there's worse to come.

Nov 11 - stadium name change to "promote the advertising potential"

Feb 12 - Llambias blames fans for lack of transfer purchases & sale of Colo "your protests against name change is putting sponsors off"

Aug 12 - no new sponsors therefore SD on shirts to "further promote the advertising potential".

Oct 12 - Llambias blames fans for lack of transfer purchases & sale of Tiote & Cabaye "protests against name change is putting sponsors off"

Feb 13 - Llambias blames fans for lack of transfer purchases & sale of Ba, HBA & Krul "your protests against name change is putting sponsors off"

Aug 13 - Club announce they've been forced to add to sponsorship benefits. "have the strips in your corporate colours with your name on the front "amazing chance to fully sponsor a major Championship club for only £50m per season". Sports Direct step in and graciously offer to let use use Blue & Red as a showcase.

Aug 15 - "On Sky Sports 7 today we have the clash of the titans, our new First Division coverage starts with a trip to the Sports Direct Arena as Sports Direct FC take on Brighton" meanwhile Football Club United Newcastle play their inaugural game against Hebburn Labour Club in front of a 30k crowd.

I've made the statement & I stand by it. I will never set foot inside the Sports Direct Arena unless it is to take part in some organised protest, this is our club and our stadium it is not a corporate brand. It is Newcastle United FC @ St James' Park

So you will be giving them the very excuse you state they need for all those things you predict.

It is and always will be SJP, ignore it.

Oh, and you'll never get 30K in Hebburn, it's south of the river, Newcastle can't be based south of the water, nee fucker'd go.

Fuck off you cunt. I hate cunts like you.

You mean hate people who don't cry at the slightest thing ???

Slightest thing1?!?!??!?!?!?! 130 years of history consigned to memory in one sweep. You fucking arsehole! Will the renaming of NUFC be a slight thing too. As I said last night it will never happen at Celtic or Man Utd. Imagine this "the Champions League Quarter Final between AC Milan and Chelse is live arfter the break from the Dominos Pizza Arena", it's as bad as what he's done. The two of them could spit roast your wife, "well I'm all for sanctioning positive feelings at boardroom level". You're a tit mate a fuckin tit.

Consigned to memory, get a grip man, who amongst supporters (who are all that matters tbh) anywhere (except Sunlun for the wind up factor) is going to call it SD Arena. No-one who matters will. It is and always shall be SJP.

Do I think what he's done is right, no. But it makes no difference unless you let it.

You got over SD @ SJP, you'll get over this.

Do you think Sky Sports and the BBC and the newspapers will be referring to where a game has taken place as SJP? You must be off your trolley pal, the whole world will think we now play at the SD Arena. I'd rather it was called the STD Arena than this. Kids will grow up, impressionable kids 8-14 and it will just be normal to call it the Sports Direct Arena, they'll grow wondering what the fuss is about SJP. He's done everything else you can do to strip a club of it's dignity, this is the worst, and the only lower he can go now is changing our colours and actually renaming the club.

So what. If it works on the pitch, who cares.

Up here, where it matters, it will always be SJP. If the team’s doing well and impressionable kids in Timbuktu, or elsewhere, think we play at SDA but buy shirts etc it doesn’t matter, IF (Big IF) that’s reflected on the pitch.

What if we’d moved to a new stadium SJP would really have been consigned to memory as Highbury has been and Anfield or WHL likely will be.

It’s all about the commercial stuff things these days, and new revenue streams, Man U (as you mention) don’t need to do it, they get tens of millions a year for a brand badge on their training kit FFS. If their money was tight don’t believe for a second Old Trafford would be sacrosanct. If you do you are naive in the extreme. (The Glazers have previous, albeit in a new stadium). Chelsea are already (and have been) looking at similar for a while.

Would you trade winning something(s) for the name of the ground ?? (I would btw)

On the wider front, he’s evidently after France’s biggest sports retailer, we’re currently “flavour of the month” in France, he ain’t daft is he. BUT for him to really use NUFC as a vehicle to maximise SD, NUFC has to do well on the pitch, which is all anyone wants, surely.

What would you really prefer a deserted SJP and a struggling (plummeting team) or a succesfull team which plays at the SDA.

Team colours and name would fall into my sacrosanct category by the way.

He owns every atom of the club, it is his, he can, and will do what he wants. No amount of protests can change that, what they can change is the performance of the team on the pitch, in “Toonpack world” the team on the pitch is what the game is about.

I care. People like me from Newcastle care. Not some old arsehole who has recently found the club since we were briefly a force in English football. The majority of people in the City care. Should we rename all of the roads too, because some fat billionaire who won't even be here in then years, hopefully dead, thinks it's a good marketing ploy??? Up here where it matters? Well I'm sorry we live in a global society now, and how we are seen our heritage, our IDENTITY, is as important to geordies as any other club in the world that I can think of. Where do you draw the line, shall we change the name of the city too, and fucking the country??

Why are team colours more important than the actual cathedral of our football team and it's name. SJP has been part of Newcastle longer than we have been black and white. I just can't get my head round how the tiny minority, I may add can shed any positive light on a fat cockney barrow boy dismiss 130 years of Newcastle upon Tyne heritage. It beggars belief.

Are you trying to refer to me :lol:

I was stood in that ground before you were born :lol:

I went to bed last night and SJP was still there, I believe it still is.

Would you trade the name to win something ????

(No proper football people/fans will call it SDA)

Chez, full list of renamed sports stadiums here(UK)

http://en.wikipedia...._rights#England

Every single one built since 1988

How many bricks at SJP were laid before then?

What's that got to do with anything? It's the same land, the same place, the same history, the same Gallowgate burial land where hundreds of gypsies were hanged. Some people are clutching at straws here.

Bricks and mortar and the people living in them are your cultural heritage, names of towns, village change over the years from roman to Anglo Saxon to Norman to medieval to modern. The football clu's heritage as you have just so beautufllu argues relates to it's place in the city, the gypsy burial ground, the old gate, the democratisation of common land in Leazes park. This is our history and a temporary name change won't chafe that. I agree it's part of the heritage but in the grand scheme of things it's a minor blot compared to previous crimes against the city.

Exactly

Llambias added: "The fans want us to buy more players, we need a new striker in January, we'll need replacements in the summer.

SIckening.

I mean we all know it's true anyway, but it's not something you want to hear from your club's MD. Equates to telling the world that we're a selling club and that we will sell you our best players if you want to buy them. Why do they say things like this? What fan is going to be happy with the idea of being a selling club year after year? How can we get attached to our players and the team if we know they'll be off within the year?

In the space of about 12 hours they have completely ruined things, at a time when people were slowly starting to hate them less. Their stupidity is unparalleled. Any advice they get is from non-football people. When have they ever consulted fans before doing things? Llambias himself doesn't have a clue and I'd be amazed if he even so much as followed football before Ashley appointed him. He doesn't have a football brain in the slightest. Everything they do is to benefit Ashley and SD. Any supposedly positive move (for example, half-price season tickets) is followed by a cynical negative one, to the point that no-one will trust them any more. If they ever did.

Personally I've not been one to vocally praise them. I've always disliked them. But I was willing to ignore that to an extent as at the end of the day its those 11 players in black and white that I care about the most, and they've not done a thing wrong. They seem determined to erode any good feelings the fans have. Once again they've shown a complete and utter lack of respect or even acknowledgement for what the fans might want.

If this leads to a mega-money sponsorship deal then I'll begrudgingly put up with it. But I'm sure it won't.

As someone else mentioned the current shirt deal with Northern Rock runs until 2014. Staggering that he can talk such obvious bullshit to the media and none of them call him out on it.

toonpack, your defence of the ashley regime knows no bounds. this is a delicate issue. we're all seething over it and your comments, if you really believe them, are poorly timed and not at all in line with the consensus.

all fans of the club care about the name of the ground and are appaled at this news. i repeat, if you really don't care about this. if you're happy to brush it off because it might lead to success in the future or because you and others might continue to ccall the ground by its true name, then in my opinion you are not a real fan.

Are you trying to refer to me :lol:

I was stood in that ground before you were born :lol:

I went to bed last night and SJP was still there, I believe it still is.

Would you trade the name to win something ????

(No proper football people/fans will call it SDA)

Ridiculous hypothetical question. As long as we have 10% who are mugs like you, they won't stop. I've said 100 times I'll still hate him if we win the Champions League.

As someone else mentioned the current shirt deal with Northern Rock runs until 2014. Staggering that he can talk such obvious bullshit to the media and none of them call him out on it.

They won't have had the opportunity.

toonpack, your defence of the ashley regime knows no bounds. this is a delicate issue. we're all seething over it and your comments, if you really believe them, are poorly timed and not at all in line with the consensus.

all fans of the club care about the name of the ground and are appaled at this news. i repeat, if you really don't care about this. if you're happy to brush it off because it might lead to success in the future or because you and others might continue to ccall the ground by its true name, then in my opinion you are not a real fan.

Not defending it at all, just don't think it's as big a deal as many make it out tbh.

Would you rather we be crap and play at SJP or be half decent and play at SDA ?

Would you rather we be crap and play at SJP or be half decent and play at SDA ?

It's these ridiculous hypothetical questions that make you come across as a cock.

Well, it's actually much more than that but it doesn't help.