Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't they use a charity to 'showcase' this fantastic advertising opportunity instead of SportsDirect, a la Barcelona-Unicef?

People still wouldn't be happy but they'd be less pissed off if it was named after the SBR Foundation for a couple of years.

Maybe this should be the thrust of any protest against this? By naming it after SBR Foundation, it would be measurable how much extra income was generated for them.

Well if there's no income coming in yet and they truly want to showcase the brand, why not brand it the SBF Arena until they so-called big bucks appear? It'd be far more palletable to the fans and it would prove that it isn't their intentions to simply use it to showcase the SD brand in another place.

Some of the journos need to put this to them. Seriously.....

I still find this incredibly antagonising:

"We need to bring in a striker in January, we will need replacements in the summer and we need to give ourselves as much as possible.

Not even going to try and hold on to our best players are they?

We all know that we're supposedly a selling club, but he doesn't need to publicly admit it. Like I said earlier, I doubt that in the future I will be able to fully get behind new players when I know they'll be off soon enough as long as they do a half-decent job. I want to watch a set of players grow together season after season, with the odd addition. I don't want a rotating door of players in and out. What do they tell the likes of Cabaye when they sign = "do a good job for us, and we'll get you that move to a bigger club next Summer"?

Why don't they use a charity to 'showcase' this fantastic advertising opportunity instead of SportsDirect, a la Barcelona-Unicef?

People still wouldn't be happy but they'd be less pissed off if it was named after the SBR Foundation for a couple of years.

Maybe this should be the thrust of any protest against this? By naming it after SBR Foundation, it would be measurable how much extra income was generated for them.

Well if there's no income coming in yet and they truly want to showcase the brand, why not brand it the SBF Arena until they so-called big bucks appear? It'd be far more palletable to the fans and it would prove that it isn't their intentions to simply use it to showcase the SD brand in another place.

Some of the journos need to put this to them. Seriously.....

Tom, you have a journo contact don't you?

get busy mate :)

Chez has openly admitted that he likes to take an alternate stance more or less for the sake of it.

Toonpack is a not funny no-value add charicature who it seems is basically a prick.

:lol:

I add lots of value, if only you would read the facts that I post with monotonous regularity. Perhaps rational thought and comprehension are beyond you :lol:

:lol:

It stinks to high heaven and if I hear another prize fucking bulls knacker on the likes of Talksport saying its a good move when 100+ years of history is getting replaced with no financial benefit to NUFC then people are going to start to get hurt. Alan Brazil says the cricketer Michael Vaughn thinks its a good move for example. Phew! Thats completely pacified me then and hearing Richard 'the slug' Keys endorse it also has also put my mind at ease. Or maybe not.

This is one of the reasons why I no longer feel I can go to watch my club anymore, 3rd in the league? So what? As someone once said, he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

P.S. as Stevie alludes to, in a few years time, young kids up and down the country will simply call our ground the sports direct. And that thought sickens me.

Is the place, the land itself called St James' Park? If not, should be sorted by the council. Put up a big fuck-off sign as well.

The area it's on was St.James Park before there was a football ground on it, pretty sure.

toonpack, your defence of the ashley regime knows no bounds. this is a delicate issue. we're all seething over it and your comments, if you really believe them, are poorly timed and not at all in line with the consensus.

all fans of the club care about the name of the ground and are appaled at this news. i repeat, if you really don't care about this. if you're happy to brush it off because it might lead to success in the future or because you and others might continue to ccall the ground by its true name, then in my opinion you are not a real fan.

Not defending it at all, just don't think it's as big a deal as many make it out tbh.

Would you rather we be crap and play at SJP or be half decent and play at SDA ?

the past regime managed it without needing to do this ?

Don't suppose that point registers with you though.

As an aside, we won't qualify for the Champions League under Ashley with or without this money, because we won't see it in the first place. You and others like you are easily fooled.

The name change doesnt sit easy with me. I would reluctantly accept it as a sign of the times if I had any trust for the motives.

Two things that stand out.

1. The next shirt sponsor will definitely be Sports Direct for at least two years as they "try" and build a brand they can sell.

2. The new name include Arena, does this mean he's gonna try and host gigs? Of course only to advertise the brand he's "trying" to sell.

Can one of you clever financial types explain to simpletons like myself what sort of extra revenue Sports Direct receives from branding like this?

I.e. is it even really worth it for them?

Needs a marketeer not a financial type.

It's all about brand awareness. Having his branding at the ground limits it to a TV audience for those televised games and those in the ground. Renaming it opens up millions more mentions of his brand (newspaper reports, radio reports, Non televised games twitter, facebook).

However, by the time you take all the negative brand damage of such a move and no doubt a lot of SJP regulars who will now boycoutt his stores, the benefit isn't that great.

In pure business terms it's probably worth the risk.

It's a shame that Sports Direct has always been his proverbial favourite son, with only the required amount of affection (money) being spent on NUFC. I wish he'd keep the two separate, or at least do things with SD to benefit NUFC instead of it always being the other way around.

that was ALWAYS his intention

Edited by LeazesMag

Change the domain name to sportsdirectastic.com... it will alert the big boys in the advertising world and before you know it we'll be competing with the likes of Google.com.

Undone all the good PR again. Hopeless.

If true, it has to be intentional, because nobody can be so stupid.

He’s taking advantage of our good start to the season to push through the next stage of his plan to turn NUFC into SDFC. It won’t stop here. It’ll never stop.

He’s got our ‘support’ sussed though. He knows we haven’t got the character to stand up for the club we claim to love. He knows this move will be met with some half arsed protest followed by fuck all. That we’ll just roll over and take it up the arse like we always do. Pathetic.

and the ONLY thing that will register on him because of this flash in the pan decent run on the pitch, is how easy it is to get fools on his side, he will see this u-turn as simply more proof of the gullibility of some supporters and continue selling our best players and replace them with cheap chancy replacements, he will by now genuinely think his formula "works".

Beware. The club is in decline. Nothing has changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James'_Park

Full Name: Sports Direct Arena

:( already

St James' Park, known for sponsorship reasons as the Sports Direct Arena,[2] is an all-seater stadium in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It is the home of Newcastle United Football Club and is the sixth largest football stadium in the United Kingdom with a capacity of between 52,387[1] and 52,409.[3]

Pissed off I've had to cough up to maintain this site when you could have 'brought in' a sponsor lads.

Maybe we should rename the board " Big, Bouncy And Busty" for two years, as an example to potential sponsors of the benefits they can reap?

Undone all the good PR again. Hopeless.

If true, it has to be intentional, because nobody can be so stupid.

He’s taking advantage of our good start to the season to push through the next stage of his plan to turn NUFC into SDFC. It won’t stop here. It’ll never stop.

He’s got our ‘support’ sussed though. He knows we haven’t got the character to stand up for the club we claim to love. He knows this move will be met with some half arsed protest followed by fuck all. That we’ll just roll over and take it up the arse like we always do. Pathetic.

and the ONLY thing that will register on him because of this flash in the pan decent run on the pitch, is how easy it is to get fools on his side, he will see this u-turn as simply more proof of the gullibility of some supporters and continue selling our best players and replace them with cheap chancy replacements, he will by now genuinely think his formula "works".

Beware. The club is in decline. Nothing has changed.

You've just signed up for 3 years man. Can't have it both ways.