Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

I for one look forward to watching the Sports Direct All Stars playing at the Sports Direct Arena, after our move to Guernsey for tax reasons. I will be wearing my blue and red hoops and singing alone with pigbag when we score.

Anyway, we'll never sell the naming rights to the stadium, it will remain the SDA.

Dunlop Dynamos ftw.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one look forward to watching the Sports Direct All Stars playing at the Sports Direct Arena, after our move to Guernsey for tax reasons. I will be wearing my blue and red hoops and singing alone with pigbag when we score.

Anyway, we'll never sell the naming rights to the stadium, it will remain the SDA.

Dunlop Dynamos ftw.

3 Pairs of Socks for a Fiver FC.

Steve Harmison: "I can only liken it to changing the team's colours from black and white to red and white and making us look like Sunderland.

"That's how big a deal it is. You do wonder whether they would do that if the money was right.

"St James' Park means everything to me, it is a magical place. It is a special place for every single Newcastle United fan. Players come and go, managers come and go but Newcastle United and St James' Park stay the same."

"Of all the things Mike Ashley has done since he became owner, I think this is the one people will find hardest to forgive and forget.

"It is a very sad day and it's such a shame because the team are doing well, Alan Pardew has done a wonderful job and everything was going in the right direction.

"I'm not anti-Ashley, I never have been. He, along with Derek Llambias, has got the club into excellent shape. Financially we're stronger than we have been for years, but this will explode in their faces.

"If it's going to mean we can compete with the big boys again financially then it will be a necessary evil. But we want to see concrete evidence the money is going to be used in the right way, not just vague assurances. If it stays as the Sports Direct Arena the only person benefiting is Ashley.

"Giving Pardew a war chest of £20-30million in January would be a start. This money has to be given to the manager, only then can I begrudgingly accept it makes sense. At the moment it feels like an insult.

Bang on most of it too.

I'm amazed by Wraith like considering how against the East Stand sign change he was.

Seen to remember him getting banned from part of the ground/banned from the ground recently or rumours to that affect.

Sucking up to get back in? :glare:

As someone else on here said, its not about all the small incidents themselves, but the bigger picture. The name change in advance, the adds, letters being taken down... they will never sell it, forget about any XX millions. Its going to be free advertising. If some company called them today I am pretty sure they would get an "unofficial" not for sale...

Honestly, like Chez said - I am just a racist Norwegian Mug without any ties to the city - but Im in pieces. All the optimism and good vibes wiped away instantly. Id rather we go down than this, results and league standings are just passing incidents in history, but this is the heart and soul of the only team in the city. I honestly struggle looking forward atm. At this point I cant allow myself to let the team hold me hostage anymore.

If protests, boicotts and sabotage is the only way to get to this cunt, so be it. I could give a shit about our squad, they will all be replaced within a few years anyway, those worth their salt anyway. Anyone who can turn a profit will be flogged. Cabaye, Ba, Tiote, Colo, Krul, all off as soon as we get a 10-15 million offer in. So why should I care? Just temporary involuntary mercenaries lured into coming here.

If we got a genuine fotball-fan as an owner of this club, willing to TRY to keep our best players, I would have no problems being relegated down to League 1. Actually, League 1 + genuine decent owner on the table, I`d take your hand off.

3rd atm, who cares? Team is gone as soon as someone whips out the chequebook anyway.

Steve Harmison: "I can only liken it to changing the team's colours from black and white to red and white and making us look like Sunderland.

"That's how big a deal it is. You do wonder whether they would do that if the money was right.

"St James' Park means everything to me, it is a magical place. It is a special place for every single Newcastle United fan. Players come and go, managers come and go but Newcastle United and St James' Park stay the same."

"Of all the things Mike Ashley has done since he became owner, I think this is the one people will find hardest to forgive and forget.

"It is a very sad day and it's such a shame because the team are doing well, Alan Pardew has done a wonderful job and everything was going in the right direction.

"I'm not anti-Ashley, I never have been. He, along with Derek Llambias, has got the club into excellent shape. Financially we're stronger than we have been for years, but this will explode in their faces.

"If it's going to mean we can compete with the big boys again financially then it will be a necessary evil. But we want to see concrete evidence the money is going to be used in the right way, not just vague assurances. If it stays as the Sports Direct Arena the only person benefiting is Ashley.

"Giving Pardew a war chest of £20-30million in January would be a start. This money has to be given to the manager, only then can I begrudgingly accept it makes sense. At the moment it feels like an insult.

Bang on most of it too.

But way too hopeful, even mentioning "war chests" is hilarious, it will never happen. It appears we need 35 million + selling the St.James park name in order to bring in a 5 million pound striker.

Advertising money invested in the squad?

112.jpg

Listening to people on the street, it's clear that some aren't even football fans as well, they're saying why should some fucking southerner change the name of something which is part of the city, forget about football being played there, forget about football, what right does some thick fat bastard have the right to change the name of something in OUR CITY where we live? Something that is also the most iconic part of the city.

Exactly, thats the point I was trying to make earlier

PP, am bright enough to know that you railing against the poor financial performance of the club and stating on here that they should be doing everything in their power to to increase that income is consistent with how they have presented this deal. Clearly the assumption is that this is just free advertising but if it's not, then thy are just doing what you said they should be doing. I know you would never have suggested this but you did say they should increase income. I know J69 has already said that even if it does we won't see a penny but operating income (as opposed to player sales) is the basis for the wage bill.

You are right I did and I stand by that although not the statement "everything in their power", some things are not for sale, at least not at a price that wont really make any significant difference. Put it this way, if we did manage to sell it, its less than a 3rd of how much we got for Carroll, is AC 3 times more important to NUFC fans than SJP?

The thing is you and I know fine well that we will never sell the name of the ground to any other company because they all know its toxic to be associated with and even if not, its hugely over priced. By adding the shirt sponsorship into the deal then hes effectively cut off our chances of any other advertiser. This means SD gets both for free and appears to be doing us a favour by taking it.

I bet you now that if you were to ring the club and ask to buy a dozen advertising boards in the Gallowgate you'd be told that there werent any available yet all of those SD ones should be up for sale to anyone that wants them. We all know that they arent paying the going rate for that advertising (if at all). Anyone who believes they are would be foolish after all why buy 200 advertising boards in one ground and have them appear on tv 4 times a year when you could buy 20 each at 10 clubs and get them seen 40 times by even more people?

No doubt people will make the argument that hes not gaining anything by not paying but I honestly believe he is. Additional advertising raises the profile of SD and in turn the profits. As major shareholder he gains from those both in "paper wealth" and actual dividends. NUFC however is different, the more profit it makes then the more the fans expect to see investing in the team etc and him taking money out will not be seen well.

So he gives away the advertising and the club end up 2,3,4 or more millions down however all that does is reduce the amount we can spend on players so hes not out of pocket at all. SD however reaps the benefits of world wide exposure, not only in the amount of ads in and around the ground but other things as mentioned on here by others.

Everytime the ground is mentioned on tv, in media etc.

Maps, every map of the city will at some stage be renewed and instead of saying "St James' Park" will hold the name of his company.

as said before, google searches, Sports Direct will now have an absolutely massive increase in the number of webpages its mentioned on. Wikipedia, every football site that details clubs etc etc etc, it will even start appearing on SDs competitors websites! Wigan will not have to carry the words Sports Direct in their write ups of the match etc.

Club merchandise, we'll no doubt start seeing numerous merchandising of the ground appearing "buy models of the Sports Direct stadium" etc, it may not make SD any actual money but again its further putting the name Sports Direct into homes.

Theres probably a thousand more things, some of them massive, some insignificant but each and every one of them is seen by somebody somewhere and all of those are free.

Stevie also hit the nail on the head when he points out that there are going to be kids growing up who know no other name than "Sports Direct Arena", 20 year down the line and someone comes in to reclaim our club, this place will erupt again when the new people dare to change the name to St James' Park.

I cant put forward strongly enough how bad I think this is, the name of our stadium, thats changed and grown over time but has always been known as SJP is erased overnight by some fat bloke looking to increase his already massive gut. I'll be slated for this but I dont care, I would prefer we went down than this, as proven already you can recover from a relegation, this is history, this is tradition and this is way more significant than a league placing. I will follow this club whether it is in the Champions League or the Northern Alliance, what I wont do is ever accept that changing one of our most important and iconic symbols is anything other than bad.

Excellent post that like Pud :clapping: :clapping:

Is he now going to change the name of St James Holdings Ltd too?

And we will do that letting Sports Direct take over all the advertising of the club for free?

were doing it by letting him lend us 130million interest free , so shouldn't it work both ways ?

the bloke didnt do his due diligence properly , what if every did do it ? we needed that investment from somewhere .

Cabinet Member for Quality of Life, Coun Henri Murison, said: “The name of St James’ Park has been synonymous with Newcastle United football club and the city for more than 130 years.

“It is recognised around the world and the decision to change it, without consultation, will upset the overwhelming majority of fans who loyally support the team week in and week out.

“While I understand the commercial reasons for renaming sports venues when they relocate, this is not the case in this instance, and some things are beyond profit when they mean so much to people.

“The football club is part of the beating heart of the city, and while the council values its relationship with the club, it has no plans to change any existing wayfinding signs which bear the name St James’ Park.

“As far as the fans and Newcastle City Council are concerned, the home of Newcastle United will always be known as St James’ Park.”

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/news-story/statement-re-renaming-st-james-park

Edited by Barney

Newcastle United rename stadium the ‘Mike Ashley Plaything Arena’

mike-ashley-plaything.jpg

Newcastle United football club have taken an important step towards complete laughing-stock status by renaming their stadium the ‘Mike Ashley Plaything Arena’.

The move is said to be a temporary measure whilst owner Mike Ashley seeks businesses willing to pay to have their name pointed at by fifty thousand angry Geordies every other week.

Ashley told reporters, “The Mike Ashley Plaything Arena offers businesses a unique opportunity to annoy hundreds of thousands of north-east residents.”

“Plastering your name all over something they consider to be iconic will ensure they all know exactly who you are. Trust me, I know this better than anyone.”

St James’ Park gone

Club officials have also announced that fan group the ‘Toon Army’ are the subject of another exciting sponsorship opportunity, but will be renamed the ‘Mike Ashley Kiddlywinks’ until a sponsor is found.

“This is the perfect opportunity to have your brand name carried to other football clubs around the country by thousands of intimidating overweight topless men in their forties.”

Though no paying sponsor has yet been found for the stadium, early reports suggest that Sunderland fans having a whip round to call it the “bum gays laughing stock stadium”

Sunderland season-ticker holder Simon Williams told us, “We’ve talked about it, and if they think that sounds a bit homophobic then we’ll settle for ‘Shower of Shite Fields’.

Source: http://newsthump.com/2011/11/10/newcastle-united-rename-stadium-the-mike-ashley-plaything-arena/

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which the individual is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. Narcissistic personality disorder is closely linked to self-centeredness.