Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

Are you trying to refer to me :lol:

I was stood in that ground before you were born :lol:

I went to bed last night and SJP was still there, I believe it still is.

Would you trade the name to win something ????

(No proper football people/fans will call it SDA)

Ridiculous hypothetical question. As long as we have 10% who are mugs like you, they won't stop. I've said 100 times I'll still hate him if we win the Champions League.

Why is it a ridiculous question. Would you personally, trade the name to win something ?? (just after your opinion, is all)

I don't like him at all, but I'd drink his health if we won that.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuine question, can you change a teams very name - legally speaking?

Course you can. Salzburg have had about five different names in twenty years. Red Bull Salzburg they're called now.

Ashley owns the club, he can do with it what he likes (and he will).

Maybe I'm wrong, but what MA seems all about is maximising brand power ... hence, of course, DSA and the way he's splashed SD all over the building itself.

Along with that, he knows that Newcastle United Football Club is a world-known brand. (Among the top eight in the world, wasn't it recently calculated when people were trying to find out how much we'd get from any changes of TV rights deals?)

That MA seems to know the worth of brand power MIGHT be our saving grace when it comes to our club name.

I hope ...

Edited by dbsweeney

Would you rather we be crap and play at SJP or be half decent and play at SDA ?

It's these ridiculous hypothetical questions that make you come across as a cock.

Well, it's actually much more than that but it doesn't help.

What's most important, winning stuff or the "transient" name of the ground (given it'll always be SJP to me).

We wont be the last to try and do this.

toonpack, your defence of the ashley regime knows no bounds. this is a delicate issue. we're all seething over it and your comments, if you really believe them, are poorly timed and not at all in line with the consensus.

all fans of the club care about the name of the ground and are appaled at this news. i repeat, if you really don't care about this. if you're happy to brush it off because it might lead to success in the future or because you and others might continue to ccall the ground by its true name, then in my opinion you are not a real fan.

Not defending it at all, just don't think it's as big a deal as many make it out tbh.

why does it have to be a choice?

like all real fans, i would rather see us play well at SJP.

let's be honest, the club won't gain anything from this re-branding excercise that will improve the team will it? there is absolutely no evidence at all to suggest that any money recieved for new sponsorship will be made available to spend on new players. there is no new money on the horizon anyway as long as the the current rebranding is in place.

Edited by Dr Gloom

It's these ridiculous hypothetical questions that make you come across as a cock.

What's most important, winning stuff or the "transient" name of the ground (given it'll always be SJP to me).

And we can't win anything without renaming the ground? The money received from this won't make a massive difference.

but this move isn't going to make us anymore likely to win anything so i don't know why you keep posing that question. more money won't be made available to be spent on players. that's obvious, even to an ashley apologist like you.

Why does it have to be a choice? Fuck me some people know nothing of life.

It's not a choice though and it's as ridiculous now as it was when you asked it last night.

The correct question to ask should have been, 'would you support the name change for £50m per season?'

TP is right to ask the question and only Stevie is brave enough to answer it, he would rather keep the name than win the champions league :lol:

TP is right to ask the question and only Stevie is brave enough to answer it, he would rather keep the name than win the champions league :lol:

er, maybe you could explain what you mean by that. toonpack is suggesting that this rebranding might make us more successful. it won't.

mate, if you honestly aren't seething about this. if you're really sitting calmy agreeing with the bullshit justifications for this move that lambias has come out with then your credibility has sunk as low as toonpack's in my eyes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding the City Council own the land the stadium is built on but not the actual structure, surely if this true it must give them some ability or power to prevent this!

It comes down to what is a football club though. Football clubs have more and more over the last 50 years become the key form of regional and local representation. Newcastle United in particular as SBR said here "It's the noise , the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city". Feeling of belonging to somewhere. Somewhere that's constant, somewhere that's you, somewhere you belong to, and it belongs to you. In tribal terms Newcastle United are our window to the world. You go anywhere in the world you mention Newcastle, they are quite likely to know the football team, that's a fact. The colours, the stadium, the history and the heritage are sacred, it's not up for debate. We are playing with our identity here, and the fact intelligent people are pulling their y fronts down, touching their toes and saying goo on big Mike do you worst utterly sickens me to the core.

It's not a choice though and it's as ridiculous now as it was when you asked it last night.

The correct question to ask should have been, 'would you support the name change for £50m per season?'

exactly, it would be marginally easier to swallow this if it meant the manager recieves a substantial cash injection to spend on players. this clearly isn't going to be the case. we will play in the sports direct arena until ashley finally manages to sell the club for a price he wants. and until that time, he'll continue the policy of buying cheap, selling high and we will continue to play in once famous old ground that now sound slike an american football venue.

i'm just praying this cunt goes in a matter of years and not decades.

Regarding winning the Champions League or keeping the staium name.

I don't think we'll sell the stadium naming rights. In the same way we couldn't sell the stadium branding, leaving us with the Sports Direct Arena and zero extra cash into the club. I don't think we'll win the CL under Ashley either.

What makes you think the possible income gained from this (and I'm not convinced there will be any) will be spent on players? If anything the past has shown us otherwise.

Thats the same question framed differently. Why would you want the extra money? The correct question is between the reason for wanting the money and the name change. We already know the answer, people have been demanding we increase revenue on here for years as they want success.

Chez has openly admitted that he likes to take an alternate stance more or less for the sake of it.

Toonpack is a not funny no-value add charicature who it seems is basically a prick.

I don't think anyone will 'come in' as Dekka requests. I don't think we'll see this extra money, this will just be Sports Direct Arena until Ashley goes. You're kidding yourselves if you think this will lead to improvements on the pitch.

We live in a global media society today though, so when you hear Sports Direct Arena on the radio and telly, read about it in the papers and on the internet all at the same time, at some point people are just going to think "fuck it" and start calling it that too, regardless of what people in the pub think. Why use an old name you risk having to explain in order to continue the conversation. St.James park name is gone and soon forgotten, sadly.

Also, how can people argue that the increased income will propel us upwards on the league table with any sort of credit? There is nothing in the last 5 years that indicates that those money - in any shape or form - will reach the team. Airdrops in africa have a better shot at reaching the intended recipients....

Edited by Saltwater

Thats the same question framed differently. Why would you want the extra money? The correct question is between the reason for wanting the money and the name change. We already know the answer, people have been demanding we increase revenue on here for years as they want success.

No it's not the same question at all, the initial question implies that if we don't sell the naming rights then we're doomed to a further lifetime of winning fuck all.

The question I stated was really asking at what price would a name change be tolerated.

Llambias is hoping to raise £8m-£10m per season from the shirt and stadium naming rights. At the moment Everton are getting £4m a season for just their shirt sponsorship, something we could realistically expect to receive, so really we're only likely to earn a further £4m per season from selling our heritage. Is that likely to greatly enhance our likelihood of winning anything? I think not.

We live in a global media society today though, so when you hear Sports Direct Arena on the radio and telly, read about it in the papers and on the internet all at the same time, at some point people are just going to think "fuck it" and start calling it that too, regardless of what people in the pub think. Why use an old name you risk having to explain in order to continue the conversation. St.James park name is gone and soon forgotten, sadly.

Also, how can people argue that the increase income will propel us upwards on the league table with any sort of credit? There is nothing in the last 5 years that indicates that those money - in any shape or form - will reach the team. Airdrops in africa have a better shot at reaching the intended recipients....

Exactly. It'll become the norm for kids. St James' Park is no more. Kids won't care they'll get used to every poisoned media vehicle ramming SDA down their throats, and for what 5 or 10m? 5-10m will make fuck all difference anyway, we're the 7th team in this country, and still £30m behind the 6th team.

Desperately sad day for NUFC, not really much more to say apart from ignore the WUMs