Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

Why does it have to be a choice? Fuck me some people know nothing of life.

TP is right to ask the question and only Stevie is brave enough to answer it, he would rather keep the name than win the champions league :lol:

If we're doing rhetoricals would you change your name to sports direct if it meant winning the champions league.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a choice though and it's as ridiculous now as it was when you asked it last night.

The correct question to ask should have been, 'would you support the name change for £50m per season?'

Thats the same question framed differently. Why would you want the extra money? The correct question is between the reason for wanting the money and the name change. We already know the answer, people have been demanding we increase revenue on here for years as they want success.

We HAVE more money already from the sale of Andy Carroll etc and yet it isn't being used. That money alone is in excess of what Llambias has quoted as the potential earnings from a stadium and shirt collective sponsorship package over a three year period. That three year period cannot commence until 2014/2015 due to our existing shirt sponsorship deal running to 2014.

Man City only got £400m over 10 years from Ethihad because they fucking own it. Not only that who the fuck is going to give us £100m for 10 years even in this climate? Even in good times? We finish in the bottom half more than we do in the top.

Chez has openly admitted that he likes to take an alternate stance more or less for the sake of it.

Toonpack is a not funny no-value add charicature who it seems is basically a prick.

if I can see both sides of an argument, never when the argument is clear.

This all boils down to whether we will see the money, as it's wrapped up with

The shirt sponsorship then it would be utterly insane to give it away for free. I can't believe that would happen as it makes no sense on any level.

If we can rename and rebuild the stands, how much further is this jump?

TP is right to ask the question and only Stevie is brave enough to answer it, he would rather keep the name than win the champions league :lol:

If we're doing rhetoricals would you change your name to sports direct if it meant winning the champions league.

What was rhetorical? Stevie said that, I think that's hysterical.

It's not a choice though and it's as ridiculous now as it was when you asked it last night.

The correct question to ask should have been, 'would you support the name change for £50m per season?'

Thats the same question framed differently. Why would you want the extra money? The correct question is between the reason for wanting the money and the name change. We already know the answer, people have been demanding we increase revenue on here for years as they want success.

It's a ridiculous reframing of the question IYAM. You don't have to sell the name of the stadium to win something just in the same that selling the name doesn't mean you will win something.

If the quesiton is "is the name St James Park important to me" then yes it is and I don't want it changed.

.com made a good point...

Speaking to BBC Radio Newcastle on Thursday, NUFC MD Derek Llambias attempted to justify why a name change of St.James' Park has been announced - but failed to address the question of why that change was necessary before a sponsor had been secured

Bolton have a tremendous history, used to play in a famous ground (anyone remember its name now or even use it?)

They have now gone corporate name, have they won owt? fuck all. Means nowt in terms of on the pitch the Citeh thing was different as it was a "cheat" to get cash into the club.

Sorry to use this one Chez but where do you live? might explain why it means more to the likes of Stevie etc.

Edited by bobbyshinton

This all boils down to whether we will see the money, as it's wrapped up with the shirt sponsorship then it would be utterly insane to give it away for free. I can't believe that would happen as it makes no sense on any level.

On a fundamental level what's the difference between this and the free advertising hoardings that are being given away inside and out of the stadium?

What was rhetorical? Stevie said that, I think that's hysterical.

Getting any money from naming the stadium the sports direct arena.

.com made a good point...

Speaking to BBC Radio Newcastle on Thursday, NUFC MD Derek Llambias attempted to justify why a name change of St.James' Park has been announced - but failed to address the question of why that change was necessary before a sponsor had been secured

Aye. I don't think there will be a sponsor. Sports Direct Arena it is.

We live in a global media society today though, so when you hear Sports Direct Arena on the radio and telly, read about it in the papers and on the internet all at the same time, at some point people are just going to think "fuck it" and start calling it that too, regardless of what people in the pub think. Why use an old name you risk having to explain in order to continue the conversation. St.James park name is gone and soon forgotten, sadly.

Also, how can people argue that the increase income will propel us upwards on the league table with any sort of credit? There is nothing in the last 5 years that indicates that those money - in any shape or form - will reach the team. Airdrops in africa have a better shot at reaching the intended recipients....

Exactly. It'll become the norm for kids. St James' Park is no more. Kids won't care they'll get used to every poisoned media vehicle ramming SDA down their throats, and for what 5 or 10m? 5-10m will make fuck all difference anyway, we're the 7th team in this country, and still £30m behind the 6th team.

Desperately sad day for NUFC, not really much more to say apart from ignore the WUMs

Make that £ 0.00, as the SD name is here to stay for eternity..... ( insert evil laugh here)

we still haven't started to make a dent in the 130mill intrest free we owe ashley , he's going to start taking that back out of the club at some point , they have made that much clear, he's not going to play sugar daddy .

any additional revenue stream must be explored . to say we 'still have money to spend' and dont need new revenue streams like this when every other big club is trying to get something similar done , is abit naive .

I'd happily pay £1000 to get one good clean punch at Llambias' face. Surely we can find 4000 like-minded people to help raise the £4m that this renaming will bring in.

I'll go twice if it'll help.

I don't think anyone will 'come in' as Dekka requests. I don't think we'll see this extra money, this will just be Sports Direct Arena until Ashley goes. You're kidding yourselves if you think this will lead to improvements on the pitch.

This

Seems in the heat of "debate", it's being forgotten that they have already changed the name, it's done, a fait accompli, and I 'll bet my house we aren't getting £10 million from SD for it. We are stuck with this cunt until he sells or dies from obesity , and now we have lost our stadium name.

If the quesiton is "is the name St James Park important to me" then yes it is and I don't want it changed.

end of discussion. the st james's park name is important for all real fans of the club.

it's difficult not to react to the WUMs over such an emotive issue. but that's football, your love for the club and its heritage is irrational.

but i've got to say, even if we were being offered untold riches (which we're not), i'd still find it difficult to accept st james park being called anything else but st james'.

the irony is, we're being offered fuck all. ashley's cheap sporting goods empire is the only thing that will benefit from this rebranding.

yet again, he's served up another shit sandwich and the usual suspects are lapping it up.

So Mike naming the stadium the 'Sports Direct Arena' will seal the Champions league coming back to Tyneside? If not, then its a poor point, like the many poor points you pick up on from all and sundry on here.

Why don't they use a charity to 'showcase' this fantastic advertising opportunity instead of SportsDirect, a la Barcelona-Unicef? If this advertising opportunity is so good, why has nobody taken them up on it in over two years? Again, Are Sports Direct going to have a time limit imposed on them for their free advertising if nobody in the business world rushes to buy the package?

TP and Chez, you can only play the devils advocate for so long before it just pisses people off and we question whether you're actually on the wind up or not. I sometimes think CT got his flak for not just his own posts but as a proxy for you as well.

Why don't they use a charity to 'showcase' this fantastic advertising opportunity instead of SportsDirect, a la Barcelona-Unicef?

People still wouldn't be happy but they'd be less pissed off if it was named after the SBR Foundation for a couple of years.

Llambias has tipped his hand here,

'we're doing this to help us compete with the big boys'

'we'll need this money because we'll need replacements in the summer (when we sell our best players to the big boys)'

Which is it we are doing then?

Edited by trophyshy

Why don't they use a charity to 'showcase' this fantastic advertising opportunity instead of SportsDirect, a la Barcelona-Unicef?

People still wouldn't be happy but they'd be less pissed off if it was named after the SBR Foundation for a couple of years.

Maybe this should be the thrust of any protest against this? By naming it after SBR Foundation, it would be measurable how much extra income was generated for them.

So Mike naming the stadium the 'Sports Direct Arena' will seal the Champions league coming back to Tyneside? If not, then its a poor point, like the many poor points you pick up on from all and sundry on here.

Why don't they use a charity to 'showcase' this fantastic advertising opportunity instead of SportsDirect, a la Barcelona-Unicef? If this advertising opportunity is so good, why has nobody taken them up on it in over two years? Again, Are Sports Direct going to have a time limit imposed on them for their free advertising if nobody in the business world rushes to buy the package?

TP and Chez, you can only play the devils advocate for so long before it just pisses people off and we question whether you're actually on the wind up or not. I sometimes think CT got his flak for not just his own posts but as a proxy for you as well.

Just to clarify, my point about hating Ashley even if we won the Champions League is a consistent one I've made over a long time, and nothing to actually do with the renaming of the stadium, so there's a few people misread that.

agree with stevie about the 'sport direct is fucking shit' chants at the next home ground. a few rounds of 'we are st james park' or 'st james park will never die' would be nice too.

i suspect mind it will mainly be abusive stuff directed at the FCB, which is fine too of course.

Likely not getting a brass penny from Sports Direct.

Frequently changing the name devalues it immensely, so why would any sporsor in their right mind be a party to such a deal let alone with the added detractor of the negative reaction this has received. No company with the sort of advertising money required for a legitimate naming rights deal like this would require an example renaming to Sports Direct Arena to be able to comprehend the nature of what is on offer. There simply is no reason other than the benefit of free advertising of Sport Direct, and perhaps to a lesser extent Ashley once again showing that he's the big daddy who does what he wants. There is no value at all to the club.

Anyone who can honestly believe what Derek Llambias says is suffering some sort of down-trodden serf like existence and I pity you.

This is not about a revenue stream for Newcastle United because there is no revenue being generated. If there was an actual sponsorship deal in place then that would logically be the discussion. Talking about the potential revenue that would be generated by a fictitious sponsorship deal is the distraction drawing attention away from the complete and utter arse raping the club is taking.