Henderson to Liverpool

Guest alex

Guest alex

According to the beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13685517.stm

Liverpool and Sunderland agree Jordan Henderson deal

Liverpool and Sunderland have agreed a deal thought to be worth about £20m for midfielder Jordan Henderson.

The 20-year-old England international will travel to Liverpool for a medical and to discuss personal terms.

"A fee has been agreed with Liverpool for Jordan Henderson and he travels to Anfield with the club's blessing," said a Sunderland statement.

Sunderland had rejected Liverpool's previous offer for the player, which was thought to be worth £16m.

The Anfield club hope a deal can be finalised before Henderson joins England's Under-21 squad on Wednesday for the European Championships.

Striker David Ngog, 22, could move in the opposite direction as part of the deal, but that is yet to be confirmed.

The Sunderland-born Henderson, who had a loan spell at Coventry City early in his career and signed a five-year contract at The Stadium of Light in April 2010.

He came to prominence as Steve Bruce's Black Cats made a fine start to the season and was rewarded with an England call-up by coach Fabio Capello.

He won his first full England cap in the friendly defeat by France at Wembley in November.

And even though his form dipped as Sunderland struggled in the second half of the campaign, Henderson is still regarded as one of England's brightest young prospects.

Manchester United had been regarded as the long-time favourites to sign Henderson after he made an outstanding start to last season, but their interest cooled and manager Sir Alex Ferguson has moved on to other midfield targets.

Henderson's potential acquisition fits in with Liverpool's policy under Dalglish, director of football Damien Comolli and owners Fenway Sports Group to pursue young, and preferably English, talent.

Ipswich's teenage striker Connor Wickham and Blackburn Rovers defender Phil Jones are also believed to be Anfield targets.

Ambition etc. :rolleyes:

Never been particularly impressed with him tbh.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carroll is worth more than £35m if he's worth 20s - fact.

If we paid £20m for him, I'd be gutted to be honest. Liverpool could easily fall flat on their faces.

Risky purchase iyam since his form dipped massively, they're expecting him to regain form, change clubs and handle the pressure of the price tag. He'll need to be better than he was start of the season to come good on all that.

Supposedly after Charlie Adam as well - even with some clearances they'll have an improved midfield (assuming Gerrard doesn't go in the huff about the signings).

Not that impressed by Henderson at that price though.

Risky purchase iyam since his form dipped massively, they're expecting him to regain form, change clubs and handle the pressure of the price tag.

Almost word for word what Liverpool have been saying (and laughing about) with regards to Torres going to Chelsea.

What goes around.....

Are they going to be able to afford 15mil on Enrique then?

If Henderson is worth £20m, then IMO Enrique is worth more than £15m.

bog standard premium for english players though innit

Guest alex

Not with a year left on his contract he isn't. I know what you mean like, I was thinking similarly myself.

Not with a year left on his contract he isn't. I know what you mean like, I was thinking similarly myself.

Aye I know the contract holds more value than the player himself. Which in itself is fucking ridiculous.

It's what Ashley and Llambias should be screaming though. If Liverpool want him that badly and this summer, they'll pay more than they do for Henderson. I doubt they'll adopt that approach though.

Shearer broke the world transfer record at the time - however with deflation a straight £20m would be the same fee.

N'Gog complicates matters obviously.

Henderson for £20mil! That is a very, very good deal for Sunderland. In fact I hope Nial Quinn is wearing a black mask and holding a gun to make that daylight robbery look more authentic!

Guest alex
They could have signed 6 Tiotes.

I wonder how a £20m bid for Tiote and Barton would've been received. Because that would've been much better value.