Henderson to Liverpool

Guest alex

Good signing, they're building long-term as displayed by the signing of Carroll. It's something we should be aspiring to, rather than flogging off our best & emerging players as their respective values peak, as well as ripping apart the core of a good side ie. The Seymour and McKeags' Days revisited when 'good-for-business' incoming & departures override the value of the on-field football brand. The lad has alot of potential, and has earned an international cap already, he's being groomed by the top brass within the England set-up. Looking at what the Gunners have forked for Chamberlain (similarly in-demand, and a younger work-in-progress) Liverpool have paid the going rate. One thing about Henderson, and possibly overlooked in this thread, as that he never really recovered after the derby nightmare, his form dropped off marketed after a bright start to the season. I think he didn't benefit from having a genuine on-field/midfield mentor at Sunderland, and there's no place to hide in the heart of midfield engineroom for a still developing youngster. Prodigys can be inconsistent during their formative years, they haven't truly mastered the art of matchday preparation etc - physically and more importantly mentally, such as recovering from a battering he suffered in the aforementioned fixture. He has that now in the form of Gerrard, a former prodigy himself who's dealt with the pressure of being earmarked for greatness. Gerrard has been there and done that so to speak, and he's mentally tough. Gerrard's presence & guidance should turn what some have dubbed a ridiculous/20m gamble into a speculative bet with much shorter odds for success.

Far too simplistic and obviously correct for the likes of CT, Toonpack, Deano, Jaysouthernmag and Gloomy. And 99.9 % of skunkers and Newcastle Online too.

Liverpool building for the future, Newcastle scrabbling around looking for someone they might make a profit on, and they say we are doing it right and Liverpool are doing it all wrong.

What will they say when Liverpool finish 10-20 points ahead of us next season, maybe more, will they put Liverpool supporters in their place by pointing to our balance sheet ? I bet they will be mortified.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anybody of the pro-Ashley brigade that are criticising this signing of Liverpool, going to actually say they think our way of doing things is better than Liverpools or not ?

Again, why don't you wait till the window is closed before you start comparing the two?

I'd rather spend wisely and get good value for money than pay silly money for the likes of Henderson. That doesn't make me pro-Ashley.

Agree with this, It's a sensible approach. Liverpool are going to want C.L. on the back of this window as are Arsenal,Chelsea,Man U,Spurs and City. Do the math, 4 from 6 its a gamble.

LM wants these superstar and big name signings but when you ask him if he agrees to the club doing it on the back of a massive debt he goes all teflon and spouts random stuff like Fred never owned the club,blah,blah,blah.

Fred never owned the club. [and what does it have to do with Fred, stop derailing the thread before Holden McGroin and Gloomy come along and accuse you mind].

So you think we are better off buying players like Routledge, Lovenkrands and Best than we were with Shearer, Bellamy, Robert and getting into the Champions League then ?

Answer the question.

Also see my previous post.

Edited by LeazesMag

is anybody of the pro-Ashley brigade that are criticising this signing of Liverpool, going to actually say they think our way of doing things is better than Liverpools or not ?

I think the answer is that if Liverpool can afford it, then good luck to them. Id not like us spending £20M on one player when we have such a thin squad. We need numbers. As much as as dislike our owners, I cant judge anything until the window closes and then we can see the full picture. But, them spending £20M on Henderson? is he £15M better the player than our new lad? Good for them that their owner is backing the manager with such funds, you assume they have the confidence that he will spend wisely and get them in to the champions league where it could pay for itself (the investment).

The difference is that Liverpool are building, we are not. There are no grounds for saying anybody is "better" than anybody at the moment, if our man DOES show he is better, then he will be sold. So what is the point of that ?

NUFC are not Bolton and Blackburn, when good players become available we should be in for them and pay the going rate if necessary, because we are one of the biggest clubs in the country and europe, and always aiming to improve, its that simple. Get the good player if you can, then you don't need to buy again and can look somewhere else in the team to strengthen next. THAT is what putting a good team together is about and how it is done.

Edit.

I understand people reject this [not you JawD] because its how "Fred" did it, as much as possible, but unfortunately, it happens to be the right way, and our results, league positions and european qualifications during those 15 years prove it.

Edited by LeazesMag

God your fucking boring :lol:

pot - kettle - black

Righto. Are you planning on buying a season ticket soon, there will be plenty available the longer your man carries on. Liverpool may strengthen their team further yet at our expense.

Sunderland got a good deal for them mostly because alot of their players have went back to their own clubs after their loans and Sunderland needed the money to replace them permanently, so they needed to sell to fund moves for other players.

but if they replace him with sub standard players, it isn't a good deal ?

If Liverpool have got the quality player, and are moving out sub standard players to accomodate him, which is the best policy ?

Sunderland got a good deal for them mostly because alot of their players have went back to their own clubs after their loans and Sunderland needed the money to replace them permanently, so they needed to sell to fund moves for other players.

If Liverpool have got the quality player, and are moving out sub standard players to accomodate him, which is the best policy ?

Obviously it isn't a good deal if they replace with sub standard players, but IMO Henderson wasn't even that good, so solely looking at the deal and who got the best out of it, i'd say Sunderland did, as they are looking to spend all that money and re-invest it in the squad, something we should be doing with the Carroll transfer money and should be doing what Liverpool are doing and showing ambition with that money

Obviously it isn't a good deal if they replace with sub standard players, but IMO Henderson wasn't even that good, so solely looking at the deal and who got the best out of it, i'd say Sunderland did, as they are looking to spend all that money and re-invest it in the squad, something we should be doing with the Carroll transfer money and should be doing what Liverpool are doing and showing ambition with that money

OK, I'm not going to argue with you because you don't seem to be one of the fuckwits, but as has been said, bringing in too many average players is only cementing your average status.

So Henderson... :lol:

as said earlier, we are all agreed then, that buying quality players for the future like Liverpool are doing is a better policy than scrapping around looking for someone that might make a quick profit in a year or two like we are doing. If Liverpool go on to play and europe and get success with Henderson in the team, he's paid his fee back basically.

Wouldn't you agree Gejon ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Liverpool have paid nearly £20 mil on the strength that they can see a future england international. Its all about what Dalglish and co can turn him into into in the next 5 years

Watched Henderson in every game he has played and although he certainly is one of the brightest young english midfielders he certainly has a lot to add to his game particularly heading and tackling what to me are totally non existant in his game.

Excellent at creating from deeper positions (as will be shown on sunday night) and his passing is superb. Will cover enormous areas on the pitch and im sure he will get in a lot more advanced positions in the liverpool team so more goalscoring opportunities for himself.

Is he worth £20 million only time will tel,l but thats what you have to pay for one of the best young english midfielders as they really are at a premium

Dalglish spends £8m at vending machine

10-06-11

LIVERPOOL manager Kenny Dalglish has defended his decision to spend £8m on a bag of crisps and a can of Irn Bru.

Takes £10m notes

He fought off bids from rival managers who were willing to pay up to £1.30 for the snacks and sees the purchase as a sign of Liverpool's renewed ambition.

He continued to stuff cheques into the coin slot of the vending machine until an engineer was called.

Dalglish said: "You've got to understand that there's always a premium for home-grown soft drinks like Irn Bru as they instinctively understand the British way of having lunch. And it's a full sugar can so it's got bags of energy.

"Combined with the crisps - limited edition Marmite flavour so we really had to loosen the purse strings - it's going to go brilliantly with this corned beef roll that I picked up for £20m.

"It's Fray Bentos corned beef so I'm expecting a bit of that South American flair with my dinner today. It's the kind of meal that tells the Chelseas and the Uniteds that we mean exceptionally expensive business."

Assistant Steve Clarke has angrily asked why nobody was monitoring Dalglish while the former Chelsea man was away in Italy being shown around the remains of Aquilani.

Clarke said: "I thought we had learned from January when he was allowed out for an hour to see what was in the John Lewis sale and he came back with a sofa shaped like Andy Carroll that we've no room for?"

as said earlier, we are all agreed then, that buying quality players for the future like Liverpool are doing is a better policy than scrapping around looking for someone that might make a quick profit in a year or two like we are doing. If Liverpool go on to play and europe and get success with Henderson in the team, he's paid his fee back basically.

I wouldn't agree on spending £20m on Henderson, genuinely a lot happier that we have 'scrapped around' and brough in Cabaye for £15m less.

Liverpool signing Carroll and Suarez is however something I am jealous of, if we spend the Carroll money like they spend the Torres money then I will be happy.

Not confident but we will see at the end of the summer, good start so far though.

Wouldn't you agree Leazes?

Edited by Gejon

I wouldn't agree on spending £20m on Henderson, genuinely a lot happier that we have 'scrapped around' and brough in Cabaye for £15m less.

Liverpool signing Carroll and Suarez is however something I am jealous of, if we spend the Carroll money like they spend the Torres money then I will be happy.

Not confident but we will see at the end of the summer, good start so far though.

Wouldn't you agree Leazes?

as has been said, by a mackem too, if you want quality [in the opinion of the manager], you pay the going rate.

You can't criticise the buying policy of a club on account of one player costing more than what YOU think he is worth. Liverpool have paid what THEY think he is worth TO THEM.

If we bring in one good player, and Liverpool bring in 3, who is going to have the best season next season ?

You have already said if we sell Kevin Nolan you will eat your own bollocks, so I'd be careful what you predict if I were you, if you have still not sussed Mike Ashley out after 4 years.

Liverpool are doing it right, they are bringing in what they see as quality footballers to get back into the top places, they accept they might get a dud along the way, everybody does, but that is their aim. This is what matters.

If they qualify for europe and the champions league etc, they will look back on a good transfer window and their signings as a block. Thing is, if you sign a player who doesn't justify his fee, you move him out again, you may lose a bit of money, but if you buy players like Leon Best, Ryan Taylor, Wayne Routledge etc you also lose money and you don't even get fuck all on the pitch for it.

I still don't get why people like you don't get this, unless you're being deliberately stupid.

It really seems like you fuckwits reject anything just because "Fred" did it, despite the league positions and superior performance of the team during those years as compared to now. Laughable and obsessed.

Seriously I wouldn't call others being stupid.

We paid less for Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote. Which deal would you rather have? That lot or Henderson who has struggled to look better than average in the majority of games he has played? Also a player who has proven not to be able to handle pressure when he has completely bottled the derbies.

I said I would eat my bollocks if Nolan goes to West Ham, not like you to only mention certain parts of what someone says to suit your argument though.

Laughable and obsessed? Now given I didn't mention Shepherd at all I would again suggest you rethink your stance and who you are pointing the finger at.

Nice avoidance of a simple question though, bravo.

Idiot :lol:

Liverpool have paid nearly £20 mil on the strength that they can see a future england international. Its all about what Dalglish and co can turn him into into in the next 5 years

Watched Henderson in every game he has played and although he certainly is one of the brightest young english midfielders he certainly has a lot to add to his game particularly heading and tackling what to me are totally non existant in his game.

Excellent at creating from deeper positions (as will be shown on sunday night) and his passing is superb. Will cover enormous areas on the pitch and im sure he will get in a lot more advanced positions in the liverpool team so more goalscoring opportunities for himself.

Is he worth £20 million only time will tel,l but thats what you have to pay for one of the best young english midfielders as they really are at a premium

He's shite though. He shouldn't get nee where near the England squad even with the the dearth of talent we have presently. He's got about as much talent as someone like a Garry Parker, who got no where near the England team. Be honest how many games has Henderson played for Sunderland where you've thought he was head and shoulders the man of the match. He's a generic energetic new-age midfielder, who runs around a lot and doesn't produce that much. He's not good enough to get in our strongest midfield, that's not an opinion, it's a stone cold fact, you have robbed the dippers here far more than we did for Carroll, don't be surprised to see him at Wolves or Bolton within four years. The two games against us both times he was the worst midfielder on the pitch.

Leazes, you've got a choice, buy a Lexus for £35,000 or buy a Mercedes for £15,000.

If you buy the Lexus, you're a dick. Nothing wrong with buying players on the cheap as long as you're not sacrificing quality. Tiote is easily one of the signings of last season, are you saying you'd have been happier if we'd spunked £15m on him instead of the £3.5m?

I'm with you in that, IF the player is interested and IF the expenditure wouldn't cripple us, we should be going for the best we can. However, the strategy you're advocating is something that is untenable in our current situation. We haven't the money to spend £6.7m on a Marcelino or £8m on Boumsong

We've signed Cabaye for £4.8m, Ben Arfa for a fee of around £5m, and Tiote for £3.5m. A total of £13.3m Wouldn't you say that business is much better than signing Jordan Henderson for £20m?

Wait till we see the results on the pitch. Henderson may come good, for all our derision. Cabaye and Arfa have done next to nothing for us on the pitch yet.

Fair enough.

Personally, I don't think Henderson is worth £20m, just like I don't think Carroll is worth £35.5m. I'm baffled by Liverpool spending so much on 2 players who, while impressive, aren't the finished article.

Wait till we see the results on the pitch. Henderson may come good, for all our derision. Cabaye and Arfa have done next to nothing for us on the pitch yet.

But Tiote has for £16.5m less than Henderson, sure he may come good but from what I have seen of him so far it's a massive gamble and I am not against us spending a relative pittance on players like Tiote, Cabaye or Ben Arfa. I have more faith in the latter two coming good than I do Henderson, nothing to do with bias but the fact they have shown genuinely ability over an extended period of time.

I hope if a genuinely quality player that we need is within our grasp that we do spend the money but I would be gutted if we were spunking £20m on the likes of Henderson.

Leazes seems to think as long as you spend lots of money on each player then you have done all you can, if they fail then it's fair enough because at least you were willing to piss away a massive amount of money on them which is showing ambition. Fuck scouting and trying to get good players at a reasonable price, that simply isn't ambition.

Obviously this post really means I think Mike Ashley is god and everything he has done so far has been brilliant.

Edited by Gejon

I agree with you on Ben-Arfa, not sure about Cabaye myself, though I obviously hope he comes good in this league and within our team. You're right, I think I was just being a bit anal about the whole 'wait and see' thing.

You love anal.