Tooj

You want to challenge Spurs for 4th/5th? They're currently missing big first teamers like Adebayor, Bale, Dawson, Ekotto and Kaboul. Probably bigger misses than us. But look at how strong their bench was on Saturday...

24 Friedel - Full international

33 Caulker - Full International

06 Huddlestone - Full International

08 Parker - Full International

22 Sigurdsson - Full International

29 Livermore - Full International

31 Townsend - U21 International

Who did we have again?

21 Elliot - got some games at Accrington Stanley

31 Ferguson - Full International

34 Tavernier - got some games for Milton Keynes Dons

20 Bigirimana - Coventry legend

22 Marveaux - U21 international

23 Sh Ameobi - Papa Nigeria

28 Sa Ameobi - 2 U21 games

Saying we have the same problems with squad depth that our competitors do is demonstrably arse talk.

Quotes from Shearer this morning:

“Newcastle missed a huge opportunity in the summer.” “Having punched above their weight last season and almost made it into the top four, this was the time to spend.” “The club was up and running again after so many years mired in uncertainty.”

“There was once again a feel-good factor and even Mike Ashley was enjoying it, but he needed to put his hand in his pocket and strengthen with two or three quality players.” “The best time to buy is when you are in a position of strength.” “It’s up to Ashley how much he spends, but just look at what Spurs did last summer.”

“They pipped Newcastle to fourth place and went out and spent £57M on six players. Newcastle spent £8.1M on three and got a fourth in on a free.”
“Nowadays in the Premier League you need to spend £15m just to stand still.” “Newcastle needed to move forward again, particularly with the demands of the Europa League factored into the equation.”

“They should be knocking on the door of the top four and occasionally getting in it.” “Sadly the momentum built up by Alan Pardew last season has been lost and what is going on at St James’ right now is starting to look worrying.”

Shearer reads TT :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad

“Newcastle missed a huge opportunity in the summer.” “Having punched above their weight last season and almost made it into the top four, this was the time to spend.” “The club was up and running again after so many years mired in uncertainty.”

“There was once again a feel-good factor and even Mike Ashley was enjoying it, but he needed to put his hand in his pocket and strengthen with two or three quality players.” “The best time to buy is when you are in a position of strength.” “It’s up to Ashley how much he spends, but just look at what Spurs did last summer.”

“They pipped Newcastle to fourth place and went out and spent £57M on six players. Newcastle spent £8.1M on three and got a fourth in on a free.”
“Nowadays in the Premier League you need to spend £15m just to stand still.” “Newcastle needed to move forward again, particularly with the demands of the Europa League factored into the equation.”

“They should be knocking on the door of the top four and occasionally getting in it.” “Sadly the momentum built up by Alan Pardew last season has been lost and what is going on at St James’ right now is starting to look worrying.”

Shearer conveniently forgot that Spurs also sold players for nigh on £60m. We both had more or less nil net spend, but Spurs sold Modric for silly money.

Alex you still believe we cant attact a better manager than Alan fucking Pardew?

That's what he's asking you man Bjorn. Divvent just repeat the question.

Who do you eagerly anticipate coming here on less money than Nile fucking Ranger?

Shearer conveniently forgot that Spurs also sold players for nigh on £60m. We both had more or less nil net spend, but Spurs sold Modric for silly money.

We sold a player for silly money ourselves the year before.

All that cash never got reinvested mind.

In a way, this could be the model that Ashley is tying to follow. Maybe he didnt think there was enough money on the table early enough for Cabaye or HBA and didnt want to do a deal at the end for fear of getting a Carroll type backlash.

Alex you still believe we cant attact a better manager than Alan fucking Pardew?

As HF points out, I was asking you that, more or less, so I'll ask again as the answer which you said was forthcoming seems not to have appeared: are you suggesting the salary on offer and the working transfer budget constraints wouldn't have an effect on the type of candidate we could attract to take over as manager?

As HF points out, I was asking you that, more or less, so I'll ask again as the answer which you said was forthcoming seems not to have appeared: are you suggesting the salary on offer and the working transfer budget constraints wouldn't have an effect on the type of candidate we could attract to take over as manager?

Let me just start by saying if we dont, then its a mute point to engage in ANY debate ever again concerning the manager because surely anyone they would replace him with would be infinately worse.

For me its come to a point where I`d replace him with any of the other managers in the division save for perhaps Artie Marty.

So from that point of view - yeah finding a better manager should be doable.

That's not what I asked. However, obviously people can criticise the manager (where did I say people couldn't?). The point I'm making is both obvious and pertinent though, especially in response to someone continually calling for Pardew's head. Who do you think would come here for £500k a year? I.e. roughly what Nile Ranger is on. And, as I've pointed out, they aren't going to have a lot of money to spend (zero/negative net spend perhaps). They're also going to have to work with the players someone else has chosen, i.e. Graham Carr. Another constraint, arguably.

I'm sure there would be plenty people willing to take the job but I don't think they'd be what you'd call blue chip candidates. And I don't see Ashley changing tack and appointing a big name on a big wage, do you?

So you can shout for the manager's head but unless you consider the alternatives it's just mindless whingeing that's not based on a pragmatic assessment of the reality at the club.

That's not what I asked. However, obviously people can criticise the manager (where did I say people couldn't?).

You didnt, but by that reasoning we should be grateful to have pardew since noone else wants to come here on what would no doubt be peanuts offered. Fair enough if thats your view.

Im not disagreeing with what you said btw, theres alot in it - but I think we might still be able to attract some fairly good managers - albeit obviously not in the mourinho division.

You didnt, but by that reasoning we should be grateful to have pardew since noone else wants to come here on what would no doubt be peanuts offered. Fair enough if thats your view.

I'm not sure why you'd think that was my view, given I said later in the same post I thought plenty managers would take the job.

Which is why I asked who you thought would come and work under those conditions. Because I bet even Laudrup and Martinez, let alone Jol, Moyes etc. are on much more money than Pardew is on.

Which is why I asked who you thought would come and work under those conditions. Because I bet even Laudrup and Martinez, let alone Jol, Moyes etc. are on much more money than Pardew is on.

So we cant match wigan and swanseas manager budget? :lol:

I hope thats not true.

Difference between could and would. Like Ashley could afford to spend £20m on a forward in January, but he won't. Do you reckon Laudrup's on £500k a year like? I'd take him over Pardew but it's not realistic when you factor in compensation for them, what you'd pay Laudrup and Pardew's £1m pay-off. Ashley won't do it.

he's spot on to be fair. we had a massive chance to kick on and we failed to sign one player capable of going straight into the first team.

calling for pardew's head is daft. he did a great job last season and deserves a chance to turn it around. he earned the right to have the owner spend more than he did in the summer window. the best move is to retain our playing squad and add some quality in the winter window - something that should have been done in the summer.

even if he is sacked, who will ashley realistically get in? i hear joe kinear is out of work at the moment, or maybe dennis wise fancies another crack at management.

Edited by Dr Gloom

not been paying much attention to Ashley since he's been here have we? :lol:

Pardew was Ashley's appointment...so who really is to blame for this season?...

True, that makes Pardew/Ashley/Llambias a trinity.... Now imagine if your wife/gf(Newcastle) was blatantly sleeping with another guy (this trinity), would just you keep blindly loving her? You as a man would either try to rip the head of that other man (P/A/L), or just leave the wife (Newcastle). What do you choose?

Edited by Aeris

Difference between could and would. Like Ashley could afford to spend £20m on a forward in January, but he won't. Do you reckon Laudrup's on £500k a year like? I'd take him over Pardew but it's not realistic when you factor in compensation for them, what you'd pay Laudrup and Pardew's £1m pay-off. Ashley won't do it.

Just because Pardew is on 500k doesnt mean thats the ceiling necessarily... if relegation really becomes a threat then I am sure they realise that they will have to pay up a bit more to get someone in who can steady the ship again.

That being said they are probably happy enough having a yes man on 500k who defends the regime, that they wont do anything unless absolutely fucking necessary.

FWIW Hughton was sacked for being 11th in the league first year back after being relegated. Now we are on relegation form with a team full of stars. Make of that what you will in regards to how blameless pardew is.

Just because Pardew is on 500k doesnt mean thats the ceiling necessarily... if relegation really becomes a threat then I am sure they realise that they will have to pay up a bit more to get someone in who can steady the ship again.

what, like last time when they got joe kinear in?

And every expensive transfer is going to be a Luque/Owen signing is it?

Sometimes transfers or managers dont work out, that shouldnt be used as an arguement for not spending at all.

Money doesnt guarantee success, but show me ONE club whos had it WITHOUT spending money.

If you dont spend you will be left behind. Its that simple.