Tooj

Obviously you're new to English football probably, but two words make Chelsea bigger than NUFC. Roman Abramovic. If we swapped owners we'd dominate Europe. Before he went there we were historically bigger than Chelsea, and fanbase wise light years ahead.

Yes I know. And I'm not a Chelsea fan. I meant just big in terms of ''right now'' regarding the past years. I use to idolise Alan Shearer, Ginola etc

I don't why there's ill feeling towards Demba. He's not the best striker we've had, but he's far from the worst. He's done well for us, we paid fuck all for him and he wants a Champions League platform in a progressive club, we really can't grumble. We won't get CL in the next five years, and we're not progressive while out fat bastard billionaire owner is here. I realise I sound like Leazes but it's true. It's alright saying he's a greedy bastard, but offering him 60k a week in a team which has less points than the last time it was relegated, compared to 90k at a team which could win the league and are current European champions, well it's a no brainer ffs.

I'm not sure if you get the point I'm making. It's not really about proving himself imo. It's about them getting a good player on the cheap until they can sign the type of striker they're really after in the summer. He'll probably then go to a QPR-type side. I.e. someone who'll match / improve what he's on at Chelsea. There's absolutely no way he's in their long-term plans. He's cost them nothing when you factor in the Sturridge deal.

Yes I understood perfectly. I'm saying he will always have to prove he can rise up to the challenge and prove them he can play, no matter who they bring in

I don't why there's ill feeling towards Demba. He's not the best striker we've had, but he's far from the worst. He's done well for us, we paid fuck all for him and he wants a Champions League platform in a progressive club, we really can't grumble. We won't get CL in the next five years, and we're not progressive while out fat bastard billionaire owner is here. I realise I sound like Leazes but it's true. It's alright saying he's a greedy bastard, but offering him 60k a week in a team which has less points than the last time it was relegated, compared to 90k at a team which could win the league and are current European champions, well it's a no brainer ffs.

Exactly

I'm not really arsed tbh in that I was resigned to it happening as soon as they expressed an interest. And the club knew it was likely all along since it seems the clause in his contract was probably the only way we could get him to sign. This type of thing is the downside of the current transfer policy.

As an aside, I wonder if it'll see us move for Carroll come the summer.

Edited by Alex

Yes I understood perfectly. I'm saying he will always have to prove he can rise up to the challenge and prove them he can play, no matter who they bring in

It's a different point to the one I was making though.

And just about every player going has to prove themselves at a new club. That goes without saying.

No andrew, it's not about money, but he is going to a bigger club that's all, it's just progression. The guy is 27 , I don't think there will be a lot of opportunities like this

And dont forget it was being held up as he wanted a bigger % of the agent fees that were being received.

THAT is all about money.

Money money.

Saying its for CL football and a more successful club is easy, but its been shown this has a lot to do with £££. Nothing really wrong with that as that's what football is about these days and fair play to the lad.

Aye of course it's all about money - it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Look we took a punt on him when he was free, he scored vital goals for us and was one of the primary reasons we do so well last season. Getting £5m for him 18 months later on is decent business for us.

Can't really argue with him for not wanting to relinquish the release clause in his contract either - it was his golden ticket to his day in the sun and he's cashed it in.

If you want to blame anyone here, blame twitch. It's him who made it public knowledge that such a clause existed which to me is crystal clear evidence that he tapped up Demba, or more likely his agent, while he was still in charge at Spurs - otherwise, how would Harry know the ins and outs of his contract?

And dont forget it was being held up as he wanted a bigger % of the agent fees that were being received.

THAT is all about money.

Money money.

Saying its for CL football and a more successful club is easy, but its been shown this has a lot to do with £££. Nothing really wrong with that as that's what football is about these days and fair play to the lad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255585/Demba-Ba-says-gives-money-family-forget-people-struggle.html

He does seem to be in some part at least motivated by helping the less fortunate. This would tie in with his seemingly devout religiosity and make him less of a cunt than your average football mercenary, but they are all in it for the money.

The only person we should take to task is, as ever, Mike Ashley.

Edited by trophyshy

If you want to blame anyone here, blame twitch. It's him who made it public knowledge that such a clause existed which to me is crystal clear evidence that he tapped up Demba, or more likely his agent, while he was still in charge at Spurs - otherwise, how would Harry know the ins and outs of his contract?

As much as I despise the melty-faced bastard, it was probably widely known within football circles. Ba's "representatives" have no qualms about speaking to anybody and have no doubt systematically told anyone that would listen about the release clause.