Tooj

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newca...icle746187.html

Newcastle are winning the Ba brawl

Published 23:00 10/06/11 By Simon Bird

Newcastle are set to land Demba Ba in a bargain deal next week.

The French-born Senegal star is quitting West Ham on a free and Newcastle believe they are close to sealing a deal for the big striker.

Alan Pardew was back at his desk this week and completed the signing of Yohan Cabaye last night in a £5million switch from Lille.

Ba, 26, scored seven goals in 12 games for the Hammers' relegation-bound side and Newcastle can more than match his wages as they look to replace Andy Carroll with a new focal-point striker.

He also had a good goal ration in Germany for Hoffenheim bagging 37 in 97 games.

Happily take him on a free, but yeah, Kevin is right.

I'd still want a top class striker alongside him AND a Gervinho type player too.

Strikers for next season - Ba, Gervinho type player, *insert top class striker here*, Ameobi, Best.

Edited by Tecato

Our forward line is so shit we simply MUST buy 2+ forwards. I can see us getting 2 but no more. Still, with 2 new forwards and Ben Arfa coming back, it puts us in a much healthier position.

Well, unless one of the forwards is akin to Carlton Cole...

I'd still want a top class striker alongside him AND a Gervinho type player too.

Strikers for next season - Ba, Gervinho type player, *insert top class striker here*, Ameobi, Best.

Would you consider Ben arfa to be a gervinho type player?

Would you consider Ben arfa to be a gervinho type player?

Possibly. And Nolan I guess but the problem with him is that his future is uncertain.

Don't know much about Gervinho but I'd imagine he's sort of Bellamy-ish?

Basically my point is that if we bring in the likes of Gervinho (long shot as it is), in a dream scenario we'd still be in for a Gameiro-level striker as well. Plus Ba. Chances of all our strikers being fit at one time regardless of who we bring in is minimal.

Not alot of cash left going by often talked about tagline that the money generated from Carroll's departure would cover fees & wages in relation to Summer arrivals. Let's say we sign him to a 4yr deal at 20k per week, and add Cabaye to the equation (*30k -*low estimate, could be more - at 5yrs, with a 4m transfer fee on top). That's nearly 15m of the Carroll Money chewed up already, despite only coughing up 4m on actual transfer fees. Not alot of room left to manoeuvre, in terms of signing two quality players ie. a couple of 1Om rated players in the mould of/or Gervinho's calibre, who have the bargaining ability to command 40k p/w. There was a time when this club matched outgoing fees with that of incomings, pound for pound, in terms of transfer fee expenditure. When considering the revenue generated from the sale of Carroll, and future departures of players with resale value Pardew will be remembered for being the manager to be sold down the river the harshest (ie. not receiving proper financial backing from the board) by the current regime.

He'd get in our team, knee bother.

:lol:

Fucking class. Your poster transfer value has just ballooned and Pud is insinuating that you don't fit into the long term plans for the board.

If we can get him on a free transfer and not have him on a 5 year deal as we seem to be doing a lot of then this would be a good move taking into consideration his knees.

Now is not the time for jokes Nobby!? Is that straight up? Reo Coker is no better than Guthrie, and a lot worse then Nolan and Barton. I'd rather be after Seb Larsson, we have next to no wide men, he's on a free and the Brum fans are gutted he's left which must say something about his ability.

When Barton and Nolan go we'll be left with Tiote, Cabaye, Guthrie (an average Championship player), Smith (assuming we can't get shot of him) and kids.

That's not much in the way of options at all. Not saying that Reo Coker is much more of an option like.