Tooj

I don't properly buy into the idea that we're a 'selling club'. But the more I'm tempted to feel that way, the more detached I feel. It's why I dislike loan signings - knowing that they'll be off in the near future makes it difficult for me to 'connect' (really not the right term) to them.

If a player comes to the club, scores a few goals and then is then off then I'll enjoy his time here but won't really care as much about him since we won't be building a side for the long term.

I don't properly buy into the idea that we're a 'selling club'. But the more I'm tempted to feel that way, the more detached I feel. It's why I dislike loan signings - knowing that they'll be off in the near future makes it difficult for me to 'connect' (really not the right term) to them.

If a player comes to the club, scores a few goals and then is then off then I'll enjoy his time here but won't really care as much about him since we won't be building a side for the long term.

We are no more a selling club than any other club, bar City.

Players have virtually all the power these days. They either get what they want or act the twat like Barton did and make keeping them untenable.

We just have to understand our current place in the pecking order. Sad but true. If someone offers to double any of our players wages they will be gone.

Just got to hope we keep getting enough quality in to take us forward until such time as we have the revenue to pay big wages either by sneaking the Champions league or a mega rich owner. Til then we are probably in about as good a position as we can hope to be.

Actually, if there is a clause then none of us know what it states.

Could it be that we learned something from the Neil Taylor clause and have worded it so that it isn't actually a release clause but convinced Ba that it is?

Players have virtually all the power these days. They either get what they want or act the twat like Barton did and make keeping them untenable.

We just have to understand our current place in the pecking order. Sad but true. If someone offers to double any of our players wages they will be gone.

Just got to hope we keep getting enough quality in to take us forward until such time as we have the revenue to pay big wages either by sneaking the Champions league or a mega rich owner. Til then we are probably in about as good a position as we can hope to be.

Oh I know we're not unique. Every player has his price and all that.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Agree with that minus the bit in bold. We're definitely more of a 'selling club' than at least 6 other teams in this division tbh. The wages we're willing to pay dictates that as much as anything else.

CT choosing words carefully to justify the transfer policy.

Over the last 5 years we've a net spent less than all the other clubs, despite player sales far in excess of most of them.

The fact Man u sold Ronaldo doesn't alter the fact we're more geared up to selling our best players than other top half clubs are.

Edited by Happy Face

Although a lot of other teams might be selling clubs, the fact that we have no ambition means that players will move on more frequently.

Each to their own but I dont feel like we are a club with no ambition.

I think we have loads of ambition its just that we are going about it in a way that is at odds at what we have been used at times in our recent history.

Not wanting to re-visit old debates but I think the days of fur coat no knickers have been replaced by foundation building.

Not that I feel confident that Ashleys next move will be Good or Bad.

Over the last 5 years we've a net spent less than all the other clubs, despite player sales far in excess of most of them.

The fact Man u sold Ronaldo doesn't alter the fact we're more geared up to selling our best players than other top half clubs are.

Not trying to choose anything carefully. :lol:

Just acknowledging that the power has shifted from clubs to players and that it effects all clubs to different levels. For some reason the human centipede comes to mind.

Watching that Sky interview and he seems a lovely bloke with a definite eye on playing and succeeding at the highest stage. Unfortunately, he probably won't reach that with Newcastle :lol:

I understand that down side and its a pisser, but the very big upside is this.

The next Tiote, Cabaye, Demba across the world will see for themselves and have agents telling them that we are a fantastic stepping stone club. A great club to spend a few years before a champion leagues club come in.

This should trickle down to even more Vuckic's and Albeids etc as well for our youth requirements.

The trick is to try and grow on the back of these great footballers passing through so that we become the destination not the journey.

I love that line...... We become the destination not the journey. :lol:

Not wanting to re-visit old debates but I think the days of fur coat no knickers have been replaced by foundation building.

I was looking at our big expensive buys as a percentage of the UK transfer record to see which were actually fur coat and no knickers.

So shearer was the record at the time - 100% - and our most "expensive player" ever. Definitely worth every penny.

Next up are Tino and Ferdinand (88% and 70% of the Stan Collymore fee that held the record at the time), given that we recouped 80% and 100% of their fees, again you have to say they were worth every penny.

Michael Owen is next at 58% of the Rio fee that was the record at that time. A total let down.

That's followed by Peacock, Albert, Warren Barton, Batty, Fox, Speed and Robert, all between 34% and 50% of the record fees at their time of arrival, and none of them ever cited as particularly costly. All were reasonable to excellent investments. Certainly not cited as flagrant examples of poor investment.

Luque (32%) failure and recouped nowt.

Martins (32%) Recouped all the money and he did ok

Andy Cole (31%) Trebbled our money and one of the best signings we ever made

Woodgate (31%) recouped all our money and performed very well.

We can all list the flops at the club, they stick out as memorable failures, but they were always in the minority and aren't predominantly our most ambitious signings, generally buying top quality has given us a good return.

I wasnt particularly looking at it on a player by player basis, more like the overall strategy and moreover the period after we became a plc.

Even going back to the Keegan days we never quite managed to get everything right at the same time in the way that the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United did.

We had great manager and money but little long term planning or Crap managers and borrowed money with no planning at all. Some exciting times no argument but never quite the long term view of really building something as our other two rivals did.

Remember this was footballs golden era when money was a plenty.

Not that I would bet any money that Ashley will take us any better, but it certainly feels we are at least building walls before applying the roof.

Why bother when you can back track later?

CT often drives his cab in reverse for large parts of his shift out of sheer habit.

I wasnt particularly looking at it on a player by player basis, more like the overall strategy and moreover the period after we became a plc.

Even going back to the Keegan days we never quite managed to get everything right at the same time in the way that the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United did.

We had great manager and money but little long term planning or Crap managers and borrowed money with no planning at all. Some exciting times no argument but never quite the long term view of really building something as our other two rivals did.

Remember this was footballs golden era when money was a plenty.

Not that I would bet any money that Ashley will take us any better, but it certainly feels we are at least building walls before applying the roof.

In the past we generally looked to buy top players in their prime. Now we generally look at younger players with a potentially high sell-on value. That's about the size of it minus the superfluous patter. The rights and wrongs of that are another matter. Yet again, I'd go for the happy medium over those two in terms of a long-term strategy.

:lol: You didn't know, Chez knows 'cos he lives in France!

I did though, I've actually got a bottle of (plain) sugar syrup / gomme sirop in the house. It's the stuff you put in cocktails.

Chez will confirm that I have an extensive liquor cabinet. So fuck you, Hagar.

I did though, I've actually got a bottle of (plain) sugar syrup / gomme sirop in the house. It's the stuff you put in cocktails.

Ok then. Bit in bold uncalled for, btw ;)

Ok then. Bit in bold uncalled for, btw ;)

You reckon? This is serious shit.