Tooj

i know he won't change. still hard not to be disappointed as a supporter when you lose one of your best players. it just confirms the limits of our ambitions and where we are in the food chain.

How do you expect us to compete with a team of the resources that Chelsea have available to them?

why should he? because he bought the club. and i'm a supporter of the club and i want the owner to give as much of a shit about retaining our star players as i do.

and yes, that means dipping into his pocket and paying the top players the market rate.

he's trying to run the club like a business. what he doesn't realise is football is a business like no other. if you want to be a top club, you have to have deep pockets.

Even his pockets are not deep enough to compete with the real top clubs (few of which are "top" on merit), even if he had the will, which he doesn't. Absolutely no point in "hoping" he will then being disappointed when he doesn't.

It is what it is, the club MUST run within it's means. Fortunately our means is better than most but those who are the "top" and it will continue to be so.

If one of the challenging for title's clubs come along we'll lose a player irrespective of how much we pay them, because those teams can match/exceed any wage we'd care to spend and as they challenge for the big prizes that equates to more dosh for the player in bonus/appearance cash.

If he'd fucked off to Villa or the like, yeah I'd be disappointed, but he's going to Chelsea, nowt we (or Ashley) can do about it.

How do you expect us to compete with a team of the resources that Chelsea have available to them?

Its difficult, but the likes of Lyon stayed at the top table of European football for a decade on a budget dwarfed by the likes of Chelsea by making sure that when they let a player go they'd already had his replacement at the club for a good six months or so....its called planning ;)

Pissed off about this.

Pissed off with his agents

Pissed off with Ba

Pissed of with the money men at NUFC who couldn't/ wouldn't make a suitable deal to keep him.

Thanks for the goals Demba, some beauties, but the nasty side of me hopes your knee explodes the first time you step out for Chelsea.

I'll be even more pissed if/when we don't replace him with equal or better, and end the window, as I suspect we might, with an even weaker squad.

Its difficult, but the likes of Lyon stayed at the top table of European football for a decade on a budget dwarfed by the likes of Chelsea by making sure that when they let a player go they'd already had his replacement at the club for a good six months or so....its called planning ;)

Spurs are a shining example of that. They've lost some big players in the last couple of years but then they've always re-invested the money to improve their squad.

I think Ba will be earning a jaw dropping amount at Chelsea - which is why it's taken them - seemingly - a couple of attempts to negotiate.

Even without his dodgy knee - we would've been unlikely to match his wages. Our highest earner recently has been Coloccini on £85k - although I have no idea what his new contract is worth.

How do Tottenham manager to keep their players & poach other if the top wage they pay is £60k?:

Thats not to say that all players dont have a price. Thats just a fact of modern day football at virtually every club

So its ok for Chelsea but not ok for the club who had a higher average gate than they did when we were in the championship?

We're not allowed to try to keep our best talent?

We're not allowed to try to control a dressing room full of egos?

Sounds like you're happy with us not giving it a go. This is where Stevie's favourite subject "lack of ambition" comes in. Its why KK left in the huff. I don't know, I can see both sides,and appreciate our financial situation is somewhat different from Chelsea's, but am far from happy about it looking at where we are in the league.

I don't suppose there are any fans who are not gutted we haven't got the avenue to money that Chelsea or Man City have.

What happens if he fails his medical/can't get insured? Should we sit him down for another round of contract negotiations or expect the worst and sign his replacement anyway?

Spurs are a shining example of that. They've lost some big players in the last couple of years but then they've always re-invested the money to improve their squad.

Van Der Vaart for £8m man. I know he's since moved on but that's a great deal.

I don't think they paid much for Bale/Lennon & they have to be two of the best players in the league.

Aye, bit difficult when its a 15mill player you've got tio replcae with only 5mill profit

"wiping our own mouth" ;)

I think Ba will be earning a jaw dropping amount at Chelsea - which is why it's taken them - seemingly - a couple of attempts to negotiate.

Even without his dodgy knee - we would've been unlikely to match his wages. Our highest earner recently has been Coloccini on £85k - although I have no idea what his new contract is worth.

How do Tottenham manager to keep their players & poach other if the top wage they pay is £60k?:

Coloccini is no longer our highest earner and nor is he on anywhere near £85k now

Edited by BigWalrus

What happens if he fails his medical/can't get insured? Should we sit him down for another round of contract negotiations or expect the worst and sign his replacement anyway?

Good point Fish.

I would laugh my cobblers off if it all fell to bits.

must have a very well worked out bonus structure, appearance, goal/assist/clean sheet/win etc

Would a deal to keep one player for 5 months really have sunk Ashley?...

I doubt it.

No it wouldn't but I don't think a short term deal was even do-able.

Do you really think the folks around Demba would have sold away/postponed their leverage for less than they'll get out of the move, especially with his supposed time-bomb knee.

There was absolutely no incentive for them to deal with us until they tested the market, they've got a bite from a big (fraudulently inflated IMO) fish, we have no chance.

A short term deal with us, even for say £10K a week more than Chelsea will pay, makes absolutely no sense on any level from the Ba camp perspective IMO

Harry Redknapp! You just know there's some dodgy deals going on there to keep things ticking over. I know he's moved on now, but he built the bulk of that squad.

Yeah - It was Redknapp who said that mind so he might have been talking shite. Who knows.

I think Man City are somehow still paying Adebayor a fortune on top of his Spurs wage.

Won't be a problem, I would guess Abramovich will cover/underwrite any insurance.

we don't have the resources chelsea or man city have, obviously. and i get that there will be occasions when a player simply wants to move on and we have to suck it up as supporters.

but the owner could clearly afford to invest more than he is currently if he wanted to. that might at least give us the chance of occasionally fending off the interest from clubs that are prepared to pay the top players the big wages.

Take your £85k and half it.

Our top earners are on less than £50k per week and they're pretty much exactly the players you'd expect.

where did you get that from?

but the owner could clearly afford to invest more than he is currently if he wanted to. that might at least give us the chance of occasionally fending off the interest from clubs that are prepared to pay the top players the big wages.

You can't just "invest" money in a football club. Ashley would have to lend money to the club, which eventually needs to be repaid.

Chelsea have tried to get round this in the past by converting the loan into equity, but that's massively frowned upon and will still be treated as a loan for the FFP regulations.

MA could stick in another £50m to bankroll a couple of big players and boost the salaries of the squad by another £1m a season each, but we'd still not be able to compete with the rich boys and we'd still fall short of regularly qualifying for the CL. As a result, we'd have more or less the same income but be hamorrhaging cash.

It's not our strategy that stinks, it's the Premiership in general. It is inherently anti-competitive. We simply don't have a chance.