Sylvain Marveaux

Matty

So when Spurs sell Modric will that make them a selling club??

As for West Ham, they are not a more attractive club It's just they gave Nolan more money and a longer contract. It's all about the money and a 5 yr deal for a 29 year old isn't good value.

West Ham have nowhere near the potential of Newcastle but sadly it looks like they may now have more ambition

And yes it would make Spurs a selling club - Redknapp was spot on yesterday when asked about Modric he basically said he wants to keep him at all costs and stated that if you want to be a top club then you dont sell your best players and that if you want to keep your top players then you have to show them that you have the ambition.

Can you imagine Pardew saying that?

:icon_lol: He did...... about Carrol, Nolan, Enrique, Barton........ :icon_lol:

"Jose’s holidaying, and doesn’t have too much on at the moment, so we’re not confident that we can keep him – but we’re not scared of losing him."

That's the sort of determination that'll see us build a squad to be feared.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for West Ham, they are not a more attractive club It's just they gave Nolan more money and a longer contract. It's all about the money and a 5 yr deal for a 29 year old isn't good value.

West Ham have nowhere near the potential of Newcastle but sadly it looks like they may now have more ambition

And yes it would make Spurs a selling club - Redknapp was spot on yesterday when asked about Modric he basically said he wants to keep him at all costs and stated that if you want to be a top club then you dont sell your best players and that if you want to keep your top players then you have to show them that you have the ambition.

far too simplistic for the brainwashed fools.

Trouble is, it would mean they would have to admit that "Fred" had the right idea

Jaysouthernmag has still to tell us how long he has actually supported the club mind :icon_lol:

Trouble is, it would mean they would have to admit that "Fred" had the right idea

Jaysouthernmag has still to tell us how long he has actually supported the club mind :icon_lol:

Of course you have to hang on to your best players, no brainer really. But sometimes with the best will in the world, you can't. Did Man Utd want to sell Ronaldo? Did we want to sell Domi under SBR or Ginola or Ferdinand (well, actually we did but thats a different arguement. I wont blame Fred for that at all, but KD). What about Jenas? If a players wants to leave what can you do?

What if they dont want to leave though right? Carroll? Depends who you believe but I'd still say each player has a price and that was more than his. Nolan? Again depends who you believe but if he wanted to stay that badly why didnt he just refuse to go? 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other as they say. Money talks.

I dont think it's black and white if you are a selling club or not, I think there's a sliding scale of how likely you are to sell your players. I think we will try our best to hold on to those that fit the mould "young and talented" but once they get to 29 I can see us being more willing to sell.

Of course you have to hang on to your best players, no brainer really. But sometimes with the best will in the world, you can't. Did Man Utd want to sell Ronaldo? Did we want to sell Domi under SBR or Ginola or Ferdinand (well, actually we did but thats a different arguement. I wont blame Fred for that at all, but KD). What about Jenas? If a players wants to leave what can you do?

What if they dont want to leave though right? Carroll? Depends who you believe but I'd still say each player has a price and that was more than his. Nolan? Again depends who you believe but if he wanted to stay that badly why didnt he just refuse to go? 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other as they say. Money talks.

I dont think it's black and white if you are a selling club or not, I think there's a sliding scale of how likely you are to sell your players. I think we will try our best to hold on to those that fit the mould "young and talented" but once they get to 29 I can see us being more willing to sell.

Its quite straightforward really, it only becomes complicated when people have a vested interest in one side of an argument or what one might refer to as an 'agenda'.

Tbf, it's also pretty simplistic to argue that because we had some successful times under the last regime that they would have been able to sustain that or reproduce it under the current financial situation in the PL / within the banking world etc. That isn't me saying Ashley is better or defending some of his awful decisions either.

Sylvain Marveaux 'can be new Laurent Robert'

SYLVAIN MARVEAUX can be Newcastle United’s next Laurent Robert, according to assistant boss John Carver – who has hailed him as the man to provide the bullets for the Toon’s new strikers.

The pacy, attacking left winger signed a five-year deal with United in the early hours of Saturday morning in a move that delighted United’s management.

They plan to throw him into competition with Jonas Gutierrez next season and see him as the perfect man to supply rangey pair Demba Ba and Shola Ameobi – plus the other forward Newcastle are looking to recruit.

“He’s a left-sided player, and has been a long-time target of the club going back to last year,” Carver said.

“We’re delighted to get him. He’s got great delivery, and can also play on the right.

“Liverpool were keen on him, but negotiations broke down, and obviously we took him. We’re pleased to get a player who can play on the left or right side.

“We want players who can get fans on the edge of their seats, like Laurent Robert. His deliveries and goals were second to none.

“Hopefully, Sylvain can provide the same sort of assists.”

Carver has also dismissed fears about his injury record – indicating that Marveaux was fit towards the end of the season but left unused as his club Rennes knew he was leaving.

“There have been question marks over his injuries, but one reason he didn’t play towards the end of last season was that the club knew he was leaving,” added Carver.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1PudMWhyM

Sylvain Marveaux 'can be new Laurent Robert'

SYLVAIN MARVEAUX can be Newcastle United’s next Laurent Robert, according to assistant boss John Carver – who has hailed him as the man to provide the bullets for the Toon’s new strikers.

The pacy, attacking left winger signed a five-year deal with United in the early hours of Saturday morning in a move that delighted United’s management.

They plan to throw him into competition with Jonas Gutierrez next season and see him as the perfect man to supply rangey pair Demba Ba and Shola Ameobi – plus the other forward Newcastle are looking to recruit.

“He’s a left-sided player, and has been a long-time target of the club going back to last year,” Carver said.

“We’re delighted to get him. He’s got great delivery, and can also play on the right.

“Liverpool were keen on him, but negotiations broke down, and obviously we took him. We’re pleased to get a player who can play on the left or right side.

“We want players who can get fans on the edge of their seats, like Laurent Robert. His deliveries and goals were second to none.

“Hopefully, Sylvain can provide the same sort of assists.”

Carver has also dismissed fears about his injury record – indicating that Marveaux was fit towards the end of the season but left unused as his club Rennes knew he was leaving.

“There have been question marks over his injuries, but one reason he didn’t play towards the end of last season was that the club knew he was leaving,” added Carver.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1PudMWhyM

Well, I doubt Gemmill will be getting Marveaux on the back of his shirt now, then.

Its quite straightforward really, it only becomes complicated when people have a vested interest in one side of an argument or what one might refer to as an 'agenda'.

indeed. Like attempting to say qualifying for the Champions League and europe regularly and bringing top footballers to the club, booing a team that finishes 5th in the premiership is doing it all wrong perhaps ? Then being happy with "survival" under a different owner.....

indeed. Like attempting to say qualifying for the Champions League and europe regularly and bringing top footballers to the club, booing a team that finishes 5th in the premiership is doing it all wrong perhaps ? Then being happy with "survival" under a different owner.....

Thats just supporting a team and always wanting to do better though LM? I never boo for the record, but my point is that if you aim for 3rd or 4th and come 5th, you will be disappointed. If you just dont want relegation and succeed, you will be relieved.

I dont think you can directly put the two side by side as you are. Also has nowt to do with ownership. you support the team for this season, the hear and now, not 10 years ago. Im not about to complain finishing 12th this season just because we finished 2nd whenever.

Thats just supporting a team and always wanting to do better though LM? I never boo for the record, but my point is that if you aim for 3rd or 4th and come 5th, you will be disappointed. If you just dont want relegation and succeed, you will be relieved.

I dont think you can directly put the two side by side as you are. Also has nowt to do with ownership. you support the team for this season, the hear and now, not 10 years ago. Im not about to complain finishing 12th this season just because we finished 2nd whenever.

yes, but the whole point is about expectation ?

A club like NUFC should ALWAYS be looking to compete with the likes of Liverpool and Spurs rather than Bolton and Blackburn.

Sylvain Marveaux not afraid of Premier League bullies

SYLVAIN Marveaux will not be intimidated by the Premier League bully boys as he looks to settle at Newcastle United as quickly as possible.

Marveaux’s desire to sign for Newcastle was partly fuelled by the presence of his friend Hatem Ben Arfa, even though the former Marseille playmaker spent almost his entire first season in English football recovering from a badly broken leg.

The victim of an over-zealous challenge, Ben Arfa has had to fightback from a potentially career-threatening injury, yet Marveaux (pictured right) is not scared to deal with the rough stuff if it comes his way.

Plenty of foreign imports have struggled with the pace and physicality of the Premier League – however, Marveaux is refusing to worry about adapting.

“It might take me a little bit of time to settle, but I don’t think it will take long,” said Marveaux, giving his first interview to an English newspaper in English.

“I speak some English so that will help me with my team-mates and living in the city. I’ve been warned the English league is faster and more physical, but it does not worry me. I’m athletic and I’m looking forward to playing that style of football.

“There will be a bit of adjustment needed, but I’ve got a full pre-season to prepare for the start of the league and I will make sure I work hard in that time to be in the best possible shape.

“I know what happened to Hatem, but I’m not scared about being kicked either. I’m ready for that. Every European league is hard, I will not be intimidated, I will be prepared for everything.”

Marveaux has been scouted several times by United over the last 18 months, although a knee injury has kept the 25-year-old former France Under-21 international on the sidelines since November.

That period of inactivity did nothing to lessen interest in him and the winger appeared to be destined for Liverpool until a delay allowed Newcastle to swoop last week.

Having passed a medical, Liverpool stalled during negotiations on personal terms and United capitalised on the stalemate, much to the irritation of Kenny Dalglish.

Marveaux said: “I’m really pleased to be here and I have a really good feeling about coming here.

“It happened quite quickly in the end, but the thing that impressed me most about Newcastle United was how hard they tried to get me. They made me feel wanted, the welcome I was given, and that is why I signed.

“I was in advanced talks with Liverpool but then they started to change the details of the contract.

“They were causing problems and I wasn’t happy with what was happening. I was close to signing for them, but Newcastle came in and that was it, I signed for them instead. I did not fail my medical at Liverpool.

“I do not have a problem with Liverpool. There is no vendetta. I’m looking forward to playing them, but I’m looking forward to playing every team in the Premier League. When I realised I would leave Rennes at the end of the contract, I wanted to come to England and I feel this will be a very good move for me.

“I’ve signed a five-year contract and I will do everything I can to help Newcastle be successful for those five years.”

An exciting attacking player with speed and an impressive technique, Marveaux has been tipped to excite United fans with his bold approach.

He added: “I believe I can cope with the move and excite the fans. That is my intention. I’m an attacking player and I like to entertain the supporters. I’m not scared about the physical side of things, I beat players with skill, not power and size.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle United are not interested in signing QPR midfielder Adel Taarabt, despite weekend reports suggesting they were preparing an offer for the Moroccan.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl.../#ixzz1Q5MatqUx

"A club like NUFC should ALWAYS be looking to compete with the likes of Liverpool and Spurs rather than Bolton and Blackburn."

A noble sentiment, but one which will lead to eternal disappointment I fear. There just hasn't been enough tangible achievement in the last well, 50 years, to support a claim that we are entitled to expect anything remotely like the results of Liverpool, and, realistically, Spurs for that matter.

Yes we've been in the CL, yes we draw big home crowds, but we are ultimately a "provincial" club without the appeal of the northern super-clubs or the allure of a London lifestyle. What's going to change? A billionaire owner hasn't helped. Mediocrity is our station - such is life.

Tbf, a decent billionaire would make a different rather than the muppet we've got. You can't tell me City have a greater allure than us beyond the people bankrolling them.

"A club like NUFC should ALWAYS be looking to compete with the likes of Liverpool and Spurs rather than Bolton and Blackburn."

A noble sentiment, but one which will lead to eternal disappointment I fear. There just hasn't been enough tangible achievement in the last well, 50 years, to support a claim that we are entitled to expect anything remotely like the results of Liverpool, and, realistically, Spurs for that matter.

Yes we've been in the CL, yes we draw big home crowds, but we are ultimately a "provincial" club without the appeal of the northern super-clubs or the allure of a London lifestyle. What's going to change? A billionaire owner hasn't helped. Mediocrity is our station - such is life.

apart from the billionaire remark i agree with you 100%. good post

• 1 month later...

Looks decent not long till he ''gets snapped up by one those club we are vulnerable to, some of these clubs is backed by sovereign states, we ain't gonna compete with that, Mike's got an idea...''

Just like any decent player in the long run.

Got through 90 mins for the reserves so is fully fit after the strain that kept him out against Arsenal.

Just a thought, could he play LB? I think he mite ya know.

Im sure i read somewhere when we signed him that he has played at LB before.