Coloccini

JawD

Top player in his prime (after a difficult first season). Should have been sold a few seasons ago when it was clear his powers had faded.

I met him once in Ibiza. Top man with plenty of time for a random stranger.

Been robbing a living for years. Not as much as Taylor though. Not that that's saying much. Glad he's gone, another sign the club's moving in the right direction.

It's easy to forget after the last couple of seasons in which he's been coasting (at best), that at his best, he's one of the best defenders most of us have seen here. It's a shame that he won't be remembered for that but his heart has been anywhere but here since he handed in that transfer request. It would have been better for all concerned if he'd been able to leave a couple of years ago.

I remember an interview he did after we got promoted last time, he said "NUFC never stopped feeling like a big club"...I liked that at the time and I think he's another non -Geordie who "got it" about the club and its support. He blotted his copybook on numerous occasions but I'll always think well of him overall. Think he personally sponsored the Trusts' disabled supporters club in his own too.

It's easy to forget after the last couple of seasons in which he's been coasting (at best), that at his best, he's one of the best defenders most of us have seen here. It's a shame that he won't be remembered for that but his heart has been anywhere but here since he handed in that transfer request. It would have been better for all concerned if he'd been able to leave a couple of years ago.

Best CB since Woodgate?

Best CB since Woodgate?

Well it's not like there's been much competition on that score but yes. I would say they only ones we've had up around and beyond that level in my time supporting are Woodgate, Albert & Roeder.

Well it's not like there's been much competition on that score but yes. I would say they only ones we've had up around and beyond that level in my time supporting are Woodgate, Albert & Roeder.

people-jean-alain-boumsong-2527450_2041.

We've had some utter shite at the back haven't we, but how many of them were average players hamstrung by terrible managers?

You'd be hard pushed to use that argument for Andy O'Brien or Bramble.

To be fair, Bramble only had a couple of years under Robson, didn't he?

You'd be hard pushed to use that argument for Andy O'Brien or Bramble.

I was thinking exactly the same, sat amongst the piss bottles of the San Siro ;)

Neither of them out the top draw, neither of them as bad as some would have it.

I remember an interview he did after we got promoted last time, he said "NUFC never stopped feeling like a big club"...I liked that at the time and I think he's another non -Geordie who "got it" about the club and its support. He blotted his copybook on numerous occasions but I'll always think well of him overall. Think he personally sponsored the Trusts' disabled supporters club in his own too.

I never knew that about the disabled supporters club. Personally, although as you nicely put it he has blotted his copybook, I'll have overall positive memories of him as a player. For the championship season and the next two after we came back up he was genuinely a joy to watch - as someone who enjoys watching quality defenders I'd put him above Woodgate because of the number of games he played for us and personally I just really liked his style of defending, all about anticipation and timing rather than relying on strength and pace. Some of his passing out from the back was different class as well. Overall in the last 3 years or so he's disappointed but he's certainly not been the only one. To be fair if someone hoyed 80 grand a week at me I'm not sure I'd turn it down - it would have just gone on some other twat anyway. But aye, would have been better all round if he'd left sooner - nevermind. If he means that last bit in his letter, and if he does turn out to be a decent manager/coach in the future, I'd be happy to see him back.

I think he more than likely fell out of "love" with the club just like a lot of us have. He was coming to the end of his career, on a massive wedge, played under shit managers, alongside shit CB partners and knowing that he wasn't going to win anything with the direction the club was going in under Ashley.