The importance of pace

Tooj

I must admit, I'm liking the fact we seem to be acquiring players with some pace and a bit more dynamism than we've had in the last couple of seasons. We all know how much Bellamy's pace was a key factor in our uplifting under Robson. Obviously you need to have the ability to go with pace as well.

:blush:

I'm liking the bit about it being (touch wood) a team of players who are coming with a point to prove/make their mark in the English game. Also ones who will respond well to that balance of coming to what they will appreciate is a big club but not one that they can take the piss out of instantly once they've got their feet under the table. Ie their wages will appreciate if they prove themselves and their worth, rather than just turn into champagne Charlie's the second they put pen to paper. I approve of the bit where we're looking (mainly) outside of the Prem for this type of purchase, because by and large it's a gravy train where you pay a massive premium for not particularly brilliant English players who I think (again by and large) have a less than positive image of our club because of it's soap opera tradition down the years . I'm glad that species of player is becoming a thing of the past.*

Pace and engine is a big part of what the new signings (including Bafra and Tiote) are potentially bringing*X and that's a massive plus, particularly if it's a tempo that can be sustained as games reach latter stages.

*Barton and Nolan being amongst those that helped turn that tide and who I will be sad to lose.

**if they're fit

pace by itself is useless - Malcolm McDonald was blisteringly fast but couldn't turn in led than 50 yards - unless he was lined up when he started to run he finished up burying the ball in the depth of the terracing

pace by itself is useless - Malcolm McDonald was blisteringly fast but couldn't turn in led than 50 yards - unless he was lined up when he started to run he finished up burying the ball in the depth of the terracing

Dennis Rommedahl was one of the quickest players ive ever seen but was shit is another one.

Looking back now at the Bobby team, for me one of the standout players who used their pace well was Dyer. When he was in the middle with Speed we were a different team.

Bellamy, Robert, Dyer, LuaLua and Bernard could be quick too

Mind, that team also had Nobby, Robert and Shearer standing over deadballs and the only thing they were really missing was a top class central defensive partnership

But surely you couldn't call Macdonald's contribution "useless"? He scored at a goal every other game for five years, and it was his speed that was his greatest weapon.

All we are saying, is give pace a chance.

It's not the be all and end all, but you certainly notice when we don't have any. I think we've been short of pace in midfield for a good few seasons now.

I must admit, I'm liking the fact we seem to be acquiring players with some pace and a bit more dynamism than we've had in the last couple of seasons. We all know how much Bellamy's pace was a key factor in our uplifting under Robson. Obviously you need to have the ability to go with pace as well.

:spit:

Spot on, and it's what made us the team we were 01-04, Dyer, Bellamy, Robert, even Jenas could run, we were the fastest team in the league along with Arsenal at that point.

Pace is crucial in the modern game imo. Also arguably better to watch. Fantastic at times watching us with the above team. Then equally annoying when you know the player had pace to beat someone and didnt bother. The team we had built by Fat Sam was based more on strength than speed. Bringing in players like Smith, Viduka and Geremi but all slow as hell. Good to hear us slowly changing back to a side with some pace but keeping strength in places where its needed (Tiote). Still need some strength up front like.

Pace is crucial in the modern game imo. Also arguably better to watch. Fantastic at times watching us with the above team. Then equally annoying when you know the player had pace to beat someone and didnt bother. The team we had built by Fat Sam was based more on strength than speed. Bringing in players like Smith, Viduka and Geremi but all slow as hell. Good to hear us slowly changing back to a side with some pace but keeping strength in places where its needed (Tiote). Still need some strength up front like.

I can't think of a really quick team who have ever went down. West Ham 03 possibly but at home their pitch is too small to fully utilise pace.

Remember that side we had at the start of 98, fuckin hell, I remember playing the BLUE DIPPERS in the FA Cup Barnes and Rush heading the attack iirc, was like two wheelie bins with no wheels. That's why we only scored 35 that season, nee pace.

Good example of a poor signing by NUFC there, Rob.

I can't think of a really quick team who have ever went down. West Ham 03 possibly but at home their pitch is too small to fully utilise pace.

Remember that side we had at the start of 98, fuckin hell, I remember playing the BLUE DIPPERS in the FA Cup Barnes and Rush heading the attack iirc, was like two wheelie bins with no wheels. That's why we only scored 35 that season, nee pace.

Barnes's arms moved faster than his legs. He looked like he was running on sand :spit:

Anyone know whats happening to Routledge?

Thought he'd signed for QPR.

So did I, but his profile was taken off their website and he tweeted this;

Football world Is going crazy! as for me all I know is I report for pre season on the 5th in the Toon atm!!! #thatisall
Edited by Phil

Can't think of one top class player who didn't have any pace whatsoever. Even Beckham was quicker than most defenders, and pace is no part of his game

Wouldn't agree Beckham was quicker than most defenders like. I can't think of him outpacing defenders very often, especially the full back marking him. Zidane wasn't particularly quick either. I'm sure there are a few others who managed it without being lightning fast. Having pace is essential to being a top side though.

Teddy Sheringham was not that fast really. I hated him but he scored plenty of goals by being in the right place at the right time. Come to think of it, I don't think Paul Scholes ever seemed that fast either.