Toon Bosses Cut Wages & Ages

Christmas Tree

NEWCASTLE chiefs are sticking with their policy to reduce the wage bill and the average age of their squad.

Toon fans were stunned last week when club captain and 12-goal top scorer Kevin Nolan left for Championship side West Ham.

The midfielder turns 29 on Friday and St James' Park bosses, led by chairman Derek Llambias, will limit deals for any players approaching their 30s.

A source said: "There's no way the club would offer long deals to players who are 28 or 29.

"There was no way they would contemplate bettering the deal West Ham offered. He was on £40,000 a week and they offered £10,000 more.

"The club is on the way to being in far better health financially."

This summer the Toon have already crossed the Channel to pick up midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Sylvain Marveaux, as well as landing West Ham striker Demba Ba on a free.

I didn't sign for Liverpool because there were contractual differences on Thursday night - Sylvain Marveaux

And they will carry on with their policy of picking up bargains around Europe as they look to make the club self-sufficient by next summer.

That would give them a head start on their rivals with UEFA's financial fair play rules set to be implemented over a three-year period.

The initial break-even assessment will cover the financial years ending 2012 and 2013, which will be assessed during 2013-14.

Rennes ace Marveaux, who agreed a five-year deal on Friday night, has hit out at reports a proposed move to Liverpool fell down because he failed a medical.

The 25-year-old said: "It's a load of rubbish. I'm in good health and fit to play.

"I returned to training with Rennes at the end of the season and could have played in the last game if they had wanted.

"It disgusts me a bit to read things like that because I know it could have an impact on the rest of my career.

"I didn't sign for Liverpool because there were contractual differences on Thursday night."

NWL19STURGR_269955a.jpg

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_s...Nolan-sale.html

I like how with Sturridge the best link or info tidbit that they could include was their own picture of him to the right. :spit:

I'd take sturridge. Would be a great signing

Of course. But there's nothing to suggest we're after him or that he'd be interested in coming to us, is there? I can't recall a single report linking us with Sturridge in fact, and you'd expect Bolton would be in pole position anyway if he was going to leave Chelsea.

There was nothing to suggest we were after Marveaux either.

I don't recall a tabloid randomly sticking him at the end of an article about transfers either.

Of course. But there's nothing to suggest we're after him or that he'd be interested in coming to us, is there? I can't recall a single report linking us with Sturridge in fact, and you'd expect Bolton would be in pole position anyway if he was going to leave Chelsea.

I know but I still think he would be a really good signing for us. You never know could be another Marveaux

I know but I still think he would be a really good signing for us. You never know could be another Marveaux

True. But I don't see where the link in the article came from, it looks the kind of thing a lazy journo invents to make a piece more interesting. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Another Marveaux?

Youre talking like weve made some amazing deal for an up and coming talent, 99% of Toon fans hadnt heard of him til yesterday

I think Harry Redknapp was spot on this morning on 5 live when he said, in reference to Modric, that if you want to be a top club then you dont sell your best players and that if you want to keep your top players then you have to show them that you have the ambition.

Would be great if Pardew came out and said that and Ashley took note - neither will happen of course

I'd pull out all of the stops to sign Sturridge.

I think he would definitely be interested, especially if Chelsea sign Lukaku I can see him being used sparingly once again. We're probably realistic, in the fact that I can't see Chelsea wanting to sell him to one of their rivals, he wants first team football and would be up for the challenge of being the main man at a club of our prestige.

He reminds me so much of a young Andy Cole as well.

If Barnetta comes we can probably forget about NZogbia or Taraabt.

The deal looks close for both barnetta and Erdinc and both would be great signings.

Another striker and a defender after that and we are done for the summer imo.

Edited by Deano

NEWCASTLE chiefs are sticking with their policy to reduce the wage bill and the average age of their squad.

Toon fans were stunned last week when club captain and 12-goal top scorer Kevin Nolan left for Championship side West Ham.

The midfielder turns 29 on Friday and St James' Park bosses, led by chairman Derek Llambias, will limit deals for any players approaching their 30s.

A source said: "There's no way the club would offer long deals to players who are 28 or 29.

"There was no way they would contemplate bettering the deal West Ham offered. He was on £40,000 a week and they offered £10,000 more.

"The club is on the way to being in far better health financially."

This summer the Toon have already crossed the Channel to pick up midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Sylvain Marveaux, as well as landing West Ham striker Demba Ba on a free.

I didn't sign for Liverpool because there were contractual differences on Thursday night - Sylvain Marveaux

And they will carry on with their policy of picking up bargains around Europe as they look to make the club self-sufficient by next summer.

That would give them a head start on their rivals with UEFA's financial fair play rules set to be implemented over a three-year period.

The initial break-even assessment will cover the financial years ending 2012 and 2013, which will be assessed during 2013-14.

Rennes ace Marveaux, who agreed a five-year deal on Friday night, has hit out at reports a proposed move to Liverpool fell down because he failed a medical.

The 25-year-old said: "It's a load of rubbish. I'm in good health and fit to play.

"I returned to training with Rennes at the end of the season and could have played in the last game if they had wanted.

"It disgusts me a bit to read things like that because I know it could have an impact on the rest of my career.

"I didn't sign for Liverpool because there were contractual differences on Thursday night."

levi_roots_reggae_reggae_sauce.jpg