Martin Samuel - So, what's left to make the Toon swoon?

Mr Gittes

I'll stick my neck out and say I bet he's never won an award that wasn't chosen by his peers.

More than he can manage tbh.

I nearly put that as well :spit:

You can imagine his doctor having to shove a finger up his arse like a vet does to a tortoise.

:icon_lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stick my neck out and say I bet he's never won an award that wasn't chosen by his peers.

More than he can manage tbh.

I nearly put that as well :spit:

You can imagine his doctor having to shove a finger up his arse like a vet does to a tortoise.

Urgh now there's an image I didnt want

Hamburg signed Keegan in his Prime, I guess he forgot about when we bought Shearer in his prime! Fucking Muppet!

You'll be eating your words when Nolan guides West Ham to a Champions League final.

Hamburg signed Keegan in his Prime, I guess he forgot about when we bought Shearer in his prime! Fucking Muppet!

You'll be eating your words when Nolan guides West Ham to a Champions League final.

When the fat cunt will say "They signed Nolan in his prime" :spit:

Well Im going out on a limb here :spit:

Although the article itself is badly written I think the sentiment is right, unfortunately our replies show exactly what hes on about.

We cant argue against what hes saying by comparing crowd sizes and although I agree West Ham are clearly a smaller club than us in all respects what hes saying is that somehow they appear to have more ambition than we do otherwise they couldnt nick one of our best players.

Although the article itself is badly written I think the sentiment is right, unfortunately our replies show exactly what hes on about.

We cant argue against what hes saying by comparing crowd sizes and although I agree West Ham are clearly a smaller club than us in all respects what hes saying is that somehow they appear to have more ambition than we do otherwise they couldnt nick one of our best players.

I mentioned in the Nolan thread that West Ham got into deep shit paying stupid wages - add in Allardyce to that and I think you hopefully have a recipe for disaster.

I don't get the idea that bringing in players on daft contracts automatically proves "ambition" - in their case signing him and Faye smack of desperation if anything.

(though I thought Faye was decent for us, 3 years on its not such a good move imo)

All clubs fans bang on about how big they are etc etc and it's largely a pointless argument. West Ham have just been relegated however. They've shown 'ambition' (in the money spunker sense) and they've gone down the tubes because that's only ever half the equation. Additionally, I think they'll always have to pay a bit of a premium anyway cos they're a pissy little outfit.

Nolan should be a very good buy for a Championship push either way though.

He's arguing they have more potential which is utterly ridiculous. I'm no Ashley apologist but supposing we have signed younger, better players than Nolan (for arguments sake) then we're showing ambition. Paying Nolan what West Ham have agreed to pay him over the period of his contract is desperation bordering on absolute stupidity rather than ambition. I'm not suggesting for one minute we are a very ambitious club at present btw.

I think his use of West Ham is a red herring tbh.

What hes basically saying is that we cant class ourselves as a big club just on the size of our fanbase and any chance of basing it on actual success such as Europe etc have disappeared under Ashley.

I think he then uses West Ham as proof that we cant be harbouring aspirations when we cant even hold onto our best players when the competition is Londons 4th/5th club who have just been relegated.

What hes basically saying is that we cant class ourselves as a big club just on the size of our fanbase and any chance of basing it on actual success such as Europe etc have disappeared under Ashley.

I think he then uses West Ham as proof that we cant be harbouring aspirations when we cant even hold onto our best players when the competition is Londons 4th/5th club who have just been relegated.

I know what his argument is. It's just incredibly flawed.

I think the only people who should be discussing Nolan as a sign of lacking ambition are those who consistently praised him and defended him against the substantial criticism he received for his overall contribution when not scoring. Unless you can hold your hand up and say you have always rated him as a top footballer, there should be no question of him going to West Ham being a sign of our ambition, otherwise its hypocrisy.

I still say the best 2 players at the club were signed last summer (as i said to ajax-andy a month or so back) and Nolan wasnt in the top 5. If selling your 6th best player and replacing him with 2 players with pedigree (Merveaux & Ba - not much in the PL admittedly) is lacking ambition, then am ok with that for now.

I think the only people who should be discussing Nolan as a sign of lacking ambition are those who consistently praised him and defended him against the substantial criticism he received for his overall contribution when not scoring. Unless you can hold your hand up and say you have always rated him as a top footballer, there should be no question of him going to West Ham being a sign of our ambition, otherwise its hypocrisy.

I still say the best 2 players at the club were signed last summer (as i said to ajax-andy a month or so back) and Nolan wasnt in the top 5. If selling your 6th best player and replacing him with 2 players with pedigree (Merveaux & Ba - not much in the PL admittedly) is lacking ambition, then am ok with that for now.

It's almost like debates about the club and the owner have become largely polarised :spit:

The fat pig would've been the first one to criticise us for signing older players on long and lucrative contracts.

But whatever fits in with his argument.

Edited by ewerk

I don't get how you can slag off a club. Then when fans aren't happy about it, calling them deluded. Where was West Hams ambition last season? Were they signing French internationals? No? Fuck off then you boring bastard, and stop letting your cholesterol get to your brain

Remove the Nolan and West Ham aspects from the article and youve got 2 lines that I agree with, ie "Newcastle cant class themselves as a massive club purely because they get big crowds, it needs to be based on success".

Im interested thopugh Chez in how you can argue Marveaux has pedigree when hes done nowt for the last couple of seasons, is 25, cant make the French team and is currently injured. Yet you compare that to a player who has proven his worth in the PL on more than one occassion at more than one club.

Or is the criteria

French = pedigree?

Remove the Nolan and West Ham aspects from the article and youve got 2 lines that I agree with, ie "Newcastle cant class themselves as a massive club purely because they get big crowds, it needs to be based on success".

Im interested thopugh Chez in how you can argue Marveaux has pedigree when hes done nowt for the last couple of seasons, is 25, cant make the French team and is currently injured. Yet you compare that to a player who has proven his worth in the PL on more than one occassion at more than one club.

Or is the criteria

French = pedigree?

I know this is a very ambiguous statement, but he can't be shite if LIVERPOOL wanted him. No needs to mention JH btw.

Last time I went was 2008, they were fucking great outside that Queens pub down from the tube boiling hot day. 2-2 draw. After the game all dead canny then the toon fans started drifting away and there was only a few of us left, I was staying down there as I had work on Monday in London, and they turned in to right arseholes, "so you fink you're a big claab then" - "bigger than yeez", they started getting fuckin lairy good as gold when there was as many of us aroond. I'd like to think we've never been like that.

Aye there was bother in that pub after the game, bother in Kings X too.

Lush day though, sure I remember Dean Ashton getting both their goals early on, Martins got one back and then Geremi had one deflected off his head for 2-2?

I seen Jonny2J randomly, I think he only recognised me because of my daft hair & Keith on the back of my shirt :spit:

Remove the Nolan and West Ham aspects from the article and youve got 2 lines that I agree with, ie "Newcastle cant class themselves as a massive club purely because they get big crowds, it needs to be based on success".Im interested thopugh Chez in how you can argue Marveaux has pedigree when hes done nowt for the last couple of seasons, is 25, cant make the French team and is currently injured. Yet you compare that to a player who has proven his worth in the PL on more than one occassion at more than one club.

Or is the criteria

French = pedigree?

I'd agree with that too tbh. His argument is all over the shop though. Not worth the time dissecting it tbh. Any more than defining what makes a big club I suppose. Being successful is what matters. As I'm sure all West Ham fans would also agree on.

I know this is a very ambiguous statement, but he can't be shite if LIVERPOOL wanted him. No needs to mention JH btw.

Or Ngog

Or Baros

Or Konchesky

Or ... well it's not as if Liverpool haven't signed their fair share of shite over the years.

Last time I went was 2008, they were fucking great outside that Queens pub down from the tube boiling hot day. 2-2 draw. After the game all dead canny then the toon fans started drifting away and there was only a few of us left, I was staying down there as I had work on Monday in London, and they turned in to right arseholes, "so you fink you're a big claab then" - "bigger than yeez", they started getting fuckin lairy good as gold when there was as many of us aroond. I'd like to think we've never been like that.

Aye there was bother in that pub after the game, bother in Kings X too.

Lush day though, sure I remember Dean Ashton getting both their goals early on, Martins got one back and then Geremi had one deflected off his head for 2-2?

I seen Jonny2J randomly, I think he only recognised me because of my daft hair & Keith on the back of my shirt :spit:

Aye I missed both of them cos I was at the fuckin bar! You were beside Alan weren't ye front row? I won't go back to Upton Park view is shit from that away end it's too shallow.