Martin Samuel - So, what's left to make the Toon swoon?

Mr Gittes

I'm amazed this fat twat still manages to pull a salary tbh. He's got to be one of the worst journalists I've ever come across.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh next to Alan! The seats we were in about 2 rows back were actually beneath the picth!

I got in the ground 5 past 3 cos I underestimated the queues once people left the bar, and stood at the back of the aisle behind the goal. I remember speaking to you on the way, you were on the tube and singing pissed out of tune haha. Martins nearly got a last minute winner right in front of us.

It appears to me that the main reason the likes of samuel get this response to articles is because he raises a lot of points that are true, but don't want to be recognised as such by the fans.

He's wrong on the Nolan situation but right on other points.

Yeh next to Alan! The seats we were in about 2 rows back were actually beneath the picth!

I got in the ground 5 past 3 cos I underestimated the queues once people left the bar, and stood at the back of the aisle behind the goal. I remember speaking to you on the way, you were on the tube and singing pissed out of tune haha. Martins nearly got a last minute winner right in front of us.

It was a great day to be out watching football like, sun was beaming. I'd probably had a few beers on the way like! Only decided I was going the night before :spit:

Would of probably liked to go back to The Boleyn Ground, despite it's flaws, I reckon the new stadium will be gash.

It was a great day to be out watching football like, sun was beaming. I'd probably had a few beers on the way like! Only decided I was going the night before :spit:

Would of probably liked to go back to The Boleyn Ground, despite it's flaws, I reckon the new stadium will be gash.

It'll be like watching Gateshead man.

I think his use of West Ham is a red herring tbh.

What hes basically saying is that we cant class ourselves as a big club just on the size of our fanbase and any chance of basing it on actual success such as Europe etc have disappeared under Ashley.

I think he then uses West Ham as proof that we cant be harbouring aspirations when we cant even hold onto our best players when the competition is Londons 4th/5th club who have just been relegated.

I know what his argument is. It's just incredibly flawed.

Remove the Nolan and West Ham aspects from the article and youve got 2 lines that I agree with, ie "Newcastle cant class themselves as a massive club purely because they get big crowds, it needs to be based on success".

Im interested thopugh Chez in how you can argue Marveaux has pedigree when hes done nowt for the last couple of seasons, is 25, cant make the French team and is currently injured. Yet you compare that to a player who has proven his worth in the PL on more than one occassion at more than one club.

Or is the criteria

French = pedigree?

He scored 12 goals from midfield the season before last (09/10) when he was also providing most of the ammunition for Gyan. Very far from 'nowt' and his performances that season had Cheslea and Man U seriously interested. You'll also note that the french national midfield embarrassed ours the last time we played them, so the competition for places in their national side is of a high standard. He's also not 'currently injured' as he was available for selection by Rennes at the end of the season.

Aye he came back with 2 games to go but wasnt selected as it was preferred just to let him get fit for the new season.

Ben Arfa

Tiote

Enrique

Barton

Who else is better than Nolan Chez? Colo?

Thats who i was including. Its all a matter of opinion of course but the market says Colo is worth twice what Nolan is, which supports that point of view. Usual caveats apply.

I was in London for two days the other week, staying in Stratford. Saw several different blokes in NUFC shirts both days.

( none of them contractors btw, just kids and blokes in the street)

I've only ever seen Wistaaam shirts in Newcastle when they played us.

Have another pie Martin.

I was in London for two days the other week, staying in Stratford. Saw several different blokes in NUFC shirts both days.

Have another pie Martin.

My brother used to live in Stratford in the 90s. My God, what a shithole.

Have another pie Martin.

My brother used to live in Stratford in the 90s. My God, what a shithole.

It's now a shithole with an olympic stadium and a shopping centre though.

What little I saw of it, I'd agree.

Some plush apartment blocks, surrounded by crumbling slums.

He had a little terraced 2 up/2 down overlooked by a tower block. He told me one evening he heard a thudding sound against his window. Went to have a look and a bunch of pissed up chavs were throwing half bricks against his window. He had good double glazing so the glass wasn't breakable, but I guess they were interested in testing the quality of it.

They were complete strangers btw. His name's not Paul Wynn or anything :icon_lol:

It's that kind of place. The local shopping centre was a disaster area as I recall. The sort of place where you don't bother putting your rubbish in the bin, there's no point. I hope they knock it all down and start again for the Olympics.

I was staying 5 minutes from Stratford tube/DLR interchange thingy. Right next to the Stadium and a new shopping centre being built. Windmill Lane I think it was

The current shops were bampsville.

I'm amazed this fat twat still manages to pull a salary tbh. He's got to be one of the worst journalists I've ever come across.

I'm amazed at the kudos some of these journalists seem to have, made worse in my opinion by appearing on places like SKY as if they have some kind of fantastic enhanced football knowledge us mere mortals can only dream about. Basically, the bloke has managed to write an article questioning the size of our club from one player being sold. There's different angles he could have came at with this, i.e. lack of ambition from Ashley, big gamble by Ashley, wise move by Ashley or even look at the West Ham end of it where they're gambling on a quick return, whatever, but he's a bar-room boor from dahn Sahf who finks he'll ave a giraffe at our expense and stir up some 'debate'. Whenever I see the likes of him and Steve Curry on the box I fucking cringe.

It was the chuffin' eve of a european away game in germany a few Donkey's Ears ago. manchester united were playin', but newcastle united were givin' them a ran Hammer and Tack Pope in Rome. a few journalists, a few Britney Spears and the bloomin' Rabbit and Pork turned ter that most futile of debates: wot constitutes a big Rub-A-Dub? specifically, did newcastle na qualify? there was a significant geordie presence 'round the Betty Grable. the sceptics were outnumbered. and yet, as much as anybody ever wins a rub-a-dub 'rgument, we thought we carried this wahn. our case was that the reach of a truly big Rub-A-Dub must extend beyond their locality. international stature was required, and therefore a significant european pedigree. newcastle were 'uge in the norf east, granted, but invisible beyond. saucepan lids in 'reas not served by a premier league footie Rub-A-Dub did not gravitate towards them the way they did manchester united or liverpool. Ca and Calf of singapore were not signed up ter the supporters’ Rub-A-Dub. fervent support: while relyin' upon wahn of the Mae West fanbases in england, does that make newcastle a big Rub-A-Dub? name the biggest Rub-A-Dub in germany. easy: bayern munich. na the second. the consensus was for borussia dortmund, very Pin' Pong at the nickle and dime. and the third? there was much discussion. finally, it was agreed: 'amburg. and nobody even mentioned schalke 04. nobody advocated the third best-supported Rub-A-Dub in germany, regularly pullin' in crowds of more than 60,000 from the industrial outpost of gelsenkirchen. schalke were omitted for the same reason newcastle would be absent from any list of english juggernauts — 'cause they 'ad never experienced mother's pearly gate success in europe. 'amburg played nottingham forest in the 1980 european cup final and signed kevin keegan in 'is prime. these men, of a certain age, aw knew 'amburg. Current Ban would recognise schalke as grea-ter simply 'cause of local support. qed, the same applies ter newcastle. na, who’s gettin' the Britney Spears in? and wifaht wishin' ter reignite the 'oariest of disputes, never 'as newcastle’s Drum in the 'ierarchy of footie been more relevant than na, 'avin' Kate Moss-ed 'rguably their Mae West performer, kevin nolan, ter second-tier west Uncle Sam united. nolan missed aahhht ter joey barton in the player of the year polls, but barton is likely ter be on 'is way, too, as is jose enrique, jonas gutierrez and perhaps fabricio coloccini. even wif £35million from the sale of andy carroll in the iron tank, the men 'oo Jack Jones newcastle 'ave looked at the Cucumbers and decided many salaries 're too rich for their tastes. size does matter. the toon Daft and Barmy will consume the dreadful new Dicky Dirt and fill the Penny-A-Pound as always, they will plaster the name of demba ba on the Hammer and Tack while waitin' for the next local 'ero ter emerge, but it is nah longer in the buff. nolan was earnin' roughly £45,000 per Bubble And Squeak and was offered an extra year on 'is contract at niftey,000, plus a a monkey,000 bonus if newcastle finished in the whistle and pop Cockle. west Uncle Sam proposed £55,000 per Bubble And Squeak and the chance ter Kathy Burke wif sam allardyce again, and nolan took it. potential is the Brenda Lee 'ere. west Uncle Sam may be in the championship, but the Rub-A-Dub 're eyein' a swift return ter the premier league and a move ter the cavernous olympic stadium. mike ashley, newcastle owner, clearly believes 'is Rub-A-Dub 're operatin' at capacity. wot would it take ter compete wif the new elite as represented by manchester city and chelsea, or even those bubblin' under, loike liverpool or tottenham 'otspur? ashley needs resources that newcastle cannot generate Jack Jones, Bread and Honey that requires global revenue streams 'e 'as been unable ter exploit. 'e either throws 'is Jack Jones fortune at the problem, or finds a conservative third way. so newcastle 're in limbo. Beechams Pill big on expectation, 'ope and desire, just not big in the buff ter stop their Mae West midfielder droppin' a division. previous owners may 'ave been unrealistic in their ambitions but at least they shared them wif those in the gallowgate end. ashley, an outsider, simply sees newcastle for wot they 're. 'e would 'ave been on the side of Potatoes in the mould, 'ard logic that night in germany but where is the fan in that?