NUFC to listen to Jonas offers

Barney

NEWCASTLE United will listen to offers for Jonás Gutiérrez as the radical revamp of their squad continues.

The arrival of French winger Sylvain Marveaux means another of the Magpies’ “Three Amigos” has big question marks over his St James’ Park future. And Leeds continue their pursuit of Alan Smith.

Getting rid of Joey Barton, though, could prove more difficult after the never less than controversial midfielder reiterated his desire to see out his contract.

The arrival of 25-year-old Marveaux, announced late on Friday, was the latest step in the changing of the Gallowgate guard.

Captain Kevin Nolan has left for West Ham, Barton’s fractious relationship with the club’s hierarchy is starting to look terminal, Leeds are looking to re-sign Smith and doubts have begun to emerge over the future of keeper Steve Harper. Thus, the player’s committee – so fundamental to bringing Newcastle back into the Premier League – appears to be being purged, and another influential group is also under attack.

With failed striker Xisco’s St James’ career effectively over, it is unclear how many of the Spanish speaking trio of José Enrique and Argentinians Gutiérrez (pictured left) and Fabricio Coloccini will wear black-and-white stripes next season.

Manager Alan Pardew is speaking openly of the possibility of left-back Enrique leaving, though to pretend otherwise would be delusional.

Enrique has been dodging attempts to discuss an extension to his contract, which expires in 12 months. With interest from some of the biggest names in European club football, Newcastle would

much rather cash in now than allow him to leave for free next year. “We are not confident we can keep him, but we are not scared of losing him,” Pardew said of Enrique.

They would also like to sell centre-back Coloccini, who performed impressively last season but earns around £80,000 a week. That is a serious deterrent to suitors such as Sevilla, and there are few signs the defender is prepared to take the big pay cut probably needed to facilitate a move.

However, isolating him by selling Enrique and Gutiérrez could help change his attitude.

Pardew has never seemed completely sold on Gutiérrez, a hard-working wide player who divides terrace opinion.

Marveaux’s arrival need not signal his departure – Gutiérrez could just as easily move onto the right wing to fill the gap which seems certain to be left by Barton some time in the next 12 months.

But like Barton, Smith, Enrique and Coloccini, he joined when Newcastle were much more generous with their wages, and owner Mike Ashley would not shed many tears were he taken off the payroll.

The Three Amigos seem likely to be victim of a French revolution which has seen Marveaux joined by fellow French speakers Mehdi Abeid, Yohan Cabaye and Demba Ba this summer. Ivory Coast midfielder Cheick Tioté and French playmaker Hatem Ben Arfa were already at the club.

Removing Barton could prove more troublesome. If his Twitter war on Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias looked like an attempt to force them to sell, he insisted last night it is not the case.

“Why do people take what is put in newspapers as gospel (?)” he tweeted. “(H)ope you understand this.... I don’t want to leave Newcastle” before adding the ominous hashtag “#bosmanruling”.

Smith seemingly has no part to play in the new-look set-up. He lost his place to Tioté early last season, and injuries further limited his appearances. At around £50,000 a week, he is an expensive back-up.

Leeds reportedly have plans to reunite three players from David O’Leary’s heyday, but Smith and former Newcastle players Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer have all got used to wages a Championship club cannot afford.

Although Woodgate and Bowyer are free agents, Leeds seem most optimistic Smith will join, relying on the pull of home for the only one of the trio born and bred in the city.

However, chairman Ken Bates has warned for a move to happen “he (Smith) would have to knock a nought off (his wages) and probably half it”. A loan, with Newcastle subsidising Smith’s wages, could be a potential solution.

Meanwhile, Newcastle’s U15s lost 1-0 to Juventus yesterday in the Lion Cup Tournament in Singapore.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...r#ixzz1PtjY5LM7

Idiotic.

If we're not careful we'll be throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this rate. Overhauling the squad to this degree in one close season would be a dangerous game to play if we'd just finished 6th, let alone 12th. Not suggesting Jonas is irreplacable by any means but he's a valuable member of the not just the squad but the first XI imo. Virtually an ever present in the team last season remember.

Must admit I saw that and thought it was a really shitty article that was all over the place with ifs and guesses etc. No quotes and from a reporter I hadnt heard of......

:icon_lol: You're right like, tbf.

Well, if we are properly paid I dont mind really. Mind sound harsh but both barton and jonas shortcomings make them squad players in my opinion, I dont really rate any of them. Replace them with people who can enter the XI straight away, and then make a few talent signings to have on the bench.

Well, if we are properly paid I dont mind really. Mind sound harsh but both barton and jonas shortcomings make them squad players in my opinion, I dont really rate any of them. Replace them with people who can enter the XI straight away, and then make a few talent signings to have on the bench.

Is this Joey, player of the season, Barton you are referring to? :icon_lol:

Edited by Christmas Tree

Alreet Dekka?

Both are played out of position at Newcastle, so that's a little unfair.

Although i will admit Barton started to play to many passes out of his range toward the end of the season.

Id rather keep Jonas in a squad to compete with players. Wasnt the whole problem that our squad was too small? Im all for revamping the squad but I agree with Alex that we need to be careful who dont try and change too much at once.

Keep saying it but cant really judge until we see the whole picture at the end of the window and I know they have said the formation is likely to change. But, if thats the case then why bring a winger in? Jonas is canny, good at beating a man and getting into the box but crossing aint great and can run into a lot of dead ends. Still need competition for places though.

Oh, and that ITK you all keep mentioning, Cwarr07 or whatever it is, fucking hell :icon_lol:

Any itk claiming Barton is away is talking out his arse. You dont tweet #bosmanruling if you are going to accept a move to another club.

I also love saltwater's assumption you can replace Joey Barton 'just like that'. Nolan perhaps, Jonas maybe but some players are a bit harder to replace. We havent replaced Carroll, we wont replace Enrique with better and i doubt we'll get anyone as good as Barton.

We can't replace a large chunk of the team and expect any kind of cohesion imo. You need premier hardened players who know how to play together. I'd worry if we sold more of last seasons first team regardless of who we bring in, and ATM we seem to be linked with moves for Enrique, collocini, guttierez, Barton, Simpson, even shola.

behind who exactly? both played as many games as possible last season under both managers. Jonas, as for last season, was basically our only proven ball carrier, he kept possession and ran with it unlike anyone else, one of our few pacy players.

as for Barton, our player of the season, he was a revelation last season, it was possibly his careers best, frankly whenever we didn't have those two we looked a shadow of the team that turned in some excellent performances.

our squad was paper thin last season, we had a solid first 11 and that was it, signing a few players does not mean we should be shipping that same 11 out of the door or we'll just be in the same predicament but with players who are totally unproven and unaccustomed to the premier league

How longs left on Jonas' current contract?

Selling him now is a bad call for me for the reasons Alex has given. He's class as well (even if he's not exactly the match winner we'd like him to be) and you'd like to think that would mean you'd get a positive response from his game if the overall calibre of the midfield is being raised around him.

Any itk claiming Barton is away is talking out his arse. You dont tweet #bosmanruling if you are going to accept a move to another club.

I also love saltwater's assumption you can replace Joey Barton 'just like that'. Nolan perhaps, Jonas maybe but some players are a bit harder to replace. We havent replaced Carroll, we wont replace Enrique with better and i doubt we'll get anyone as good as Barton.

In a nutshell.

I wonder what's going on with Routledge. Pardew wants him to go, but he's still here, and maybe part of Ashley's exciting plan to replace Barton on the cheap......? :icon_lol:

Edited by Mr Gittes

I know this will seem naive, but i shall say it anyway.

I am slightly disappointed at all this talk of the players going out, but what we cannot forget is that these are not Pardew's players. Since Bobby Robson, managers that have come in have mostly stuck with previous manager's buys. Its about time a manager came in and stamped his mark on the squad.

And finally, before we cast judgement on all of this, lets just wait to see what squad we field in August against Arsenal. If the likes of Guthrie/Routledge are in the starting XI then I will happily admit that I was wrong. But I would like to think that the team fielded will be far stronger than one we have fielded this previous season.

behind who exactly? both played as many games as possible last season under both managers. Jonas, as for last season, was basically our only proven ball carrier, he kept possession and ran with it unlike anyone else, one of our few pacy players.

as for Barton, our player of the season, he was a revelation last season, it was possibly his careers best, frankly whenever we didn't have those two we looked a shadow of the team that turned in some excellent performances.

our squad was paper thin last season, we had a solid first 11 and that was it, signing a few players does not mean we should be shipping that same 11 out of the door or we'll just be in the same predicament but with players who are totally unproven and unaccustomed to the premier league

Behind genuine quality which we will hopefully sign this summer.

Jonas isn`t a key player for us due to his qualities. He is a key player due to lack of options.

There`s a difference.

I am slightly disappointed at all this talk of the players going out, but what we cannot forget is that these are not Pardew's players. Since Bobby Robson, managers that have come in have mostly stuck with previous manager's buys. Its about time a manager came in and stamped his mark on the squad.

And finally, before we cast judgement on all of this, lets just wait to see what squad we field in August against Arsenal. If the likes of Guthrie/Routledge are in the starting XI then I will happily admit that I was wrong. But I would like to think that the team fielded will be far stronger than one we have fielded this previous season.

This precisely. And following that line of reasoning, having 28-30 year olds on the bench on fat wages is not part of that vision. And I cannot say I disagree.

Like Souness and Allardyce you mean? FFS :icon_lol:

Behind genuine quality which we will hopefully sign this summer.

Jonas isn`t a key player for us due to his qualities. He is a key player due to lack of options.

There`s a difference.

Bit of both imo. It's not like genuinely quality left wingers are 10 a penny. Conveniently ignoring Barton as well.

Edited by alex