Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

I thought Las Iguanas was ok but I think that's more desperation on my part, as I love Mexican (and similar) food but there's hardly anywhere to get it.

Trying the Wheatsheaf (Benton) tomorrow. They're a Thai/English restaurant now and had a small taste of some of their curry last weekend which was pretty nice. I reckon everyone else will just bottle it and order a Sunday dinner though. Hope it's canny as I love Thai food.

Foods nice in there, Jill. If you like your Thai food hot don't let the lass talk you into getting a milder version as she thinks Westerners cannot hack it. If your friends bottle the Thai food and have a Sunday dinner it's their loss!

Foods nice in there, Jill. If you like your Thai food hot don't let the lass talk you into getting a milder version as she thinks Westerners cannot hack it. If your friends bottle the Thai food and have a Sunday dinner it's their loss!

Had the Thai red curry (chicken) with rice and it was absolutely spot on. Lovely little kick, would probably ask for it hotter next time though as I love my food spicy. There were loads of other things I wanted to try. The others had a range of things - various curries, chicken kiev, lamb shank and one chicken dinner. The only thing which wasn't rated was the Sunday dinner, unsurprisingly, which was a pretty poor pub effort. Couldn't fault the meal I had though. My only criticism was that the service wasn't great - they were nice and polite but didn't bother bringing us any cutlery for our main course until we asked, so we had our food but couldn't eat it. Just seemed a bit amateur really.

On finding out it was my birthday though, the chef came out to speak to us about the food and gave me a bottle of wine to bring home with me, which was a lovely touch. :) I'll definitely be going back.

Went to Rice flame bar and grill in the Metro Centre on Saturday night... not bad, bit of a weird mix of food with everything from sushi to mexican dishes.

All a bit confussing tbh as no way am I tucking in to sushi and following it up with a beef chilli.

Food was actually pretty decent though tbf, only thing I had a problem with was I ordered a jasmin tea (designate driver), and received it in a tiny almost espresso cup... I then asked if I got refills and was told no. £2.50 for the smallest cup of tea ever?!! Total rip off.

No real atmosphere either but I guess that's what you expect from eating in the Metro Centre.

Would say it's fine to go for some food if you're in the Metro Centre, but don't expect amazing ambience.

• 4 weeks later...

Just going to stick La Tasca in here after my visit last night (Grey Street one).

First time at a Tapas Bar and really loved the whole shabang.

Service was very good. (Friendly, helpful and then invisible)

Food was delicious. Had about 8 Tapas and all great apart from the Paella which just tasted like Batchelors savoury rice to me.

Location was spot on as well for us and we enjoyed a couple of pre meal drinks in Bacchus (about 30 seconds away on High Bridge Street), a great pub with a fantastic range of real ales.

Gets 9/10 from me and I will definitely go back. :)

You should have gone to El Coto or the one that's on the way down to the quayside man. I've always found La Tasca to be pretty disappointing, particularly in comparison to these other places.

Can't be arsed to read through the whole thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned... but The Olive and Bean (or vice versa) in Grainger is saweeeeeeet. Huge selection of sarnies, paninis etc etc. Great for a lunch. Homemade soup is cracking as well.

You should have gone to El Coto or the one that's on the way down to the quayside man. I've always found La Tasca to be pretty disappointing, particularly in comparison to these other places.

Aye I agree El Coto is streets ahead of La Tasca.

I could see you there :lol:

img_home.jpg

But aye, we will probably try a few more now that we have been and like the stuff.

I remember being in a tapas bar in Barcelona. Later in the evening I ordered a coffee and a brandy. I asked for Soberano but the kid in there said, "No, try this, it's Catalan". He just about filled the balloon glass with it then topped up the coffee with a hefty shot too. The £4 for one sixth of a gill (or whatever it is now) over here kind of removes that Mediterranean ambience for me ;)

La Tasca's ok like. Not 9/10 though imo.

El Coto is the dog's bollocks. Sometimes head there after the match (need to book). Delicious.

I remember being in a tapas bar in Barcelona. Later in the evening I ordered a coffee and a brandy. I asked for Soberano but the kid in there said, "No, try this, it's Catalan". He just about filled the balloon glass with it then topped up the coffee with a hefty shot too. The £4 for one sixth of a gill (or whatever it is now) over here kind of removes that Mediterranean ambience for me ;)

La Tasca's ok like. Not 9/10 though imo.

Can't remember if I've mentioned it to you before but have you tried the Sky Apple Cafe in Heaton? Really good food, with the benefit of BYO.

Can't remember if I've mentioned it to you before but have you tried the Sky Apple Cafe in Heaton? Really good food, with the benefit of BYO.

We keep meaning to go as it happens but with having the bin lid now it's a bit of a pain. I've been for lunch before and it was spot on and everyone says it's nice. I see they've got a licence now but you can still take your own bottle.

We keep meaning to go as it happens but with having the bin lid now it's a bit of a pain. I've been for lunch before and it was spot on and everyone says it's nice. I see they've got a licence now but you can still take your own bottle.

Yeah, that's right. Still cheaper to bring your own though. As the wife and a few of my friends are veggie I go quite a lot but really rate it.

Congratulations.

I hear that a Jamie's Italian is opening in monument mall. I went to the one in Glasgow and was far from impressed, but I fear Gemmill might soon need his own bariatric nurse after hearing this news.

Passed through M Mall yesterday for the Metro and there's some major building works going on like. Dead on it's arse inthere prior to it .

His 'image/brand' more suited to a rustic conversion I would've thought ? Brewdog type thing . Going into malls or metro centres for anything like that holds no appeal to me personally. Soul-less places.

Black Door @ Biscuit Factory is a favourite.

Clicky

Two thumbs up for the Biscuit Factory after a smashing lunch there yesterday. Utterly gorgeous pork belly.

(See, Fisty, don't say I never pay you any compliments. The food was canny too)

Fifteen will be better I guess. Just checked and there are already 20 JI's in the UK! Just another chain in other words, producing mediocre food which he claims to be against. Hypocrite!