Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

I see I've not posted it here so Ill add that I went to what was Est behind the Pitcher & Piano and is now Gusto (http://www.gustorest...gusto-newcastle) food was excellent like.

Admittedly it was a fair few years ago when I went but I thought the service was absolutely dreadful, had to ask 2-3 times for everything and it really took away from what was a decent meal overall.

Really? And you being from South Shields originally too?

I went there once and frankly found it wierd. Like sitting in someone's front room with all the local neighbours wanting to get to know you. They all said 'we never go anywhere else' and I was just thinking 'never again'. Food was ok but nowt special. Shared a carafe of wine which was the worst I have ever tasted outside Greece. I'm increasingly not a fan of curries though I admit. Probably prefer Rasa or Vujon if I'm honest.

I remember a meal in there where the takeaway delivery drivers spent the entire night sat near the bar. It was a bit strange with them being there. Service and meal were good though.

We cycle through a few. Used to go to the Romna quite regularly, but the last few have really made us bad. The Kismet, Shahenshah and Shikari have all been visited recently.

Best takeaway is the Ellachi on Whitley Road (just near the Metro station). Consistently very good, and unbelievably cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never even heard of Paradiso. :o Trip advisor places it the best Italian in Newcastle.

Went on Friday and had 2 courses for a Tenner. Great puff pastry goats cheese starter followed by a lush pork loin with olives.

Quality music on in popolos too.

I'd never even heard of Paradiso. :o Trip advisor places it the best Italian in Newcastle.

Went on Friday and had 2 courses for a Tenner. Great puff pastry goats cheese starter followed by a lush pork loin with olives.

Quality music on in popolos too.

Has the wanker quotient in there reduced at all? I remember I used to enjoy the place, but saw a guy in a threadbare tee-shirt, skinny jeans, winkle pickers, thick rimmed glasses and fucking ridiculous hair-do reading some pretentious book or other at the bar... That's pretty much when I decided to move down the way to Alvinos/Secco

Has the wanker quotient in there reduced at all? I remember I used to enjoy the place, but saw a guy in a threadbare tee-shirt, skinny jeans, winkle pickers, thick rimmed glasses and fucking ridiculous hair-do reading some pretentious book or other at the bar... That's pretty much when I decided to move down the way to Alvinos/Secco

Nah it was full of wankers. Rah rah bitch women "fucking" this and "fucking" that at the next table and a few lads who would have got bullied at art school.

We were downstairs though, wanna have a look upstairs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone ever been to the Pavillion Bar & Grill at West Allotment/Shiremoor?

Pass it almost daily but never seen anything about it, always looks busy though.

It's a nice bar. Really like it for a drink.

Only eaten there once. It was the end of a Sunday afternoon service and I think they were sad we turned up. Wasn't great at all.

It's the same chain - SJF. Pavillion is nicer imo though. North Tyneside is poor for good food pubs though, the beehive was good last time I was there though.

I was gonna offer this

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thesnowyowlcramlington/

For a good food pub in north Tyneside.... then I realised it is Northumberland. Right on the border though.

I was gonna offer this

http://www.vintagein...owlcramlington/

For a good food pub in north Tyneside.... then I realised it is Northumberland. Right on the border though.

Took my Mam there for either her Birthday or Mothers day (or something like that) last year. I don't have a great memory, but I'm fairly sure I enjoyed it.

You can get other illuminating reviews on my new blog www.Davetalksshitfornoreasonotherthantopasstimeatwork.org

The Beehive was taken over recently by the people who had the bay bistro in Whitley. I went there with bairn and me mam and dad not long before Christmas and it was nice.

Renton's spot on like. There's no where particularly good in North Tyneside.

I tried the new Sambuca in Forest Hall yesterday lunchtime. I've never been to any of their other restaurants but I knew what sort of thing to expect. It was surprisingly busy for a Tuesday afternoon. Food was decent, hot and I know it's all a bit bampy but personally I can't really complain when you've paid less than a tenner for 3 courses and 2 drinks. We'd finished all the food within 45 minutes of arrival and I thought they may have wanted us out but it had quietened down a bit so we stayed for another drink.

One of those that falls into the "it is what it is" sort of category for me. The staff could do with better organisation mind (5 separate people asked if we wanted drinks - very polite but I think once is sufficient when we'd just got sat down!) Would go back just for somewhere local to meet and catch up with friends etc, not for a special occasion or over a weekend.