Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

Anyone doing Restaurant Week?

I'm going to Cafe 21 since I haven't been in years and it always used to be spot on. It was going to be Blackfriars (for the same reason) but I wasn't very taken by their menu. It seems a bit daft going somewhere I've been before but oh well.

Yeah the missus and I thought we'd go somewhere for that.

I've been to Cafe21 a few times (it's my boss' favourite lunch restaurant) and honestly am not that blown away by them. Presentation is very good but it's all very...I dunno, pretentious? I remember green beans featuring heavily in many dishes. :lol:

I prefer Gusto down the Quayside.

I prefer Gusto down the Quayside.

I thought that was awful when I went, although it was years ago. The food was average and the service was absolutely abysmal. Also my friend went and was ill for days afterwards.

:lol:

I dunno what to tell you - we go quite often and are always really impressed with it. I wasn't going until a couple of years back mind you, so maybe they've pulled their socks up in the intermittent period.

Then again, I may consider it favourably as it sits next to La Tasca, a restaurant where we once waited over an hour for service, despite frequent complaints, and eventually walking out.

They've probably improved like, it was 2010 or 2011 when I went. I just never felt the urge to go back when there are so many other places to try and we'd had such a poor experience.

We looked through a few of the restaurant week offers but weren't fussed on the restricted menus (not allowed to order steak at Marco Pierre White) or the savings (£2 off).

If anyone knows some of the better places offering good deals it'll save me looking through them all.

I'm booked up for Dacantus. It's a really small menu (only three options for starters and mains) but there was at least two options that looked canny. I went in for a drink a few months ago and they gave us a free taster of something and it was really nice so I've fancied going since then. Going to the Vermont too. Went there in the last restaurant week and it was some of the best food I've ever had round here. The menu is a bit smaller this time around but there's still plenty of choice.

A few of my mates went to that Miller & Carter steakhouse recently and they thought it was fantastic. I know it got a poor write up in the chronicle in it's first week but they've been twice now and really impressed with the steaks.

Small menu is an indication of quality. Large menus are a definite mark of poor quality.

I hate it when you open a menu somewhere and there are pages and pages to choose from. LESS IS MORE.

There is definitely that. There is also the fact that no chef / kitchen can produce to order 30+ different options unless the food is not fresh and is either micro-waved or re-heated.

If there are lots of items on the menu, there will be very little actual cooking going on in the kitchen. If there are lots of items on the menu AND low prices, its a guarantee that CT is in the kitchen.

I'm booked up for Dacantus. It's a really small menu (only three options for starters and mains) but there was at least two options that looked canny. I went in for a drink a few months ago and they gave us a free taster of something and it was really nice so I've fancied going since then. Going to the Vermont too. Went there in the last restaurant week and it was some of the best food I've ever had round here. The menu is a bit smaller this time around but there's still plenty of choice.

A few of my mates went to that Miller & Carter steakhouse recently and they thought it was fantastic. I know it got a poor write up in the chronicle in it's first week but they've been twice now and really impressed with the steaks.

The problem with Dacantus is it doesn't really know what it wants to be, it's too small to be both a bar and a quality restaurant. Folk on the drink right on top of you when your trying to enjoy a meal is a poor setup, the food is good though.

There is definitely that. There is also the fact that no chef / kitchen can produce to order 30+ different options unless the food is not fresh and is either micro-waved or re-heated.

If there are lots of items on the menu, there will be very little actual cooking going on in the kitchen. If there are lots of items on the menu AND low prices, its a guarantee that CT is in the kitchen.

I agree with that but three choices of a main is pretty limited. In the Vermont's case it certainly wasn't a massive menu last time (about 6 or 7 options) but it's a couple less this time round. More than enough though.

The problem with Dacantus is it doesn't really know what it wants to be, it's too small to be both a bar and a quality restaurant. Folk on the drink right on top of you when your trying to enjoy a meal is a poor setup, the food is good though.

Yeah I got that impression but we're there half six on a wednesday so I doubt it's going to be heaving with people on the piss.

• 4 weeks later...

That new chinese opposite where the co-op was is fantastic. 9 quid something eat as much as you want, absolute quality. Lou2 or something.

Edited by McFaul

Anyone tried the 'Hop and Cleaver' on the quayside? Thinking about taking the (yank) missus there but didn't know if it was decent american scran?

Went for our Christmas night out at work. Flattered to deceive iyam.

Longhorns is loads nicer.